Thread: Bert Smith ( fainting referee)

Default Bert Smith ( fainting referee)

Here is an interesting update on Bert Smith the ref who passed out in the USC game.

“She said: ‘I got the answer to the question. You went down because you had a blood clot in your lung.’”

Smith’s pausing. Dr. Katie Trammel, he’s wanting me to know, may have saved his life.

“You don’t know where that clot was going next,” he says.

Smith was admitted into Methodist and put on blood thinners. Two days later, clot gone, he was discharged. Where did it come from? Nobody can say. Smith tested positive for the coronavirus in August, but doctors can’t say whether there’s a correlation between COVID-19 and his blood clot.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Wow.

He was doing everything right.

Glad the physicians discovered the clot.

Blood clots are bad bad bad - glad to hear they found the problem and that he's going to be ok. I'm assuming he'll be able to referee once again?

Saved by the game. Got great immediate care, etc. Had he experienced this in any other setting, who knows. God bless.

There are a lot of factors that contribute to blood clots. Sometimes they just happen. Some persons are genetically predisposed. It seems like he should be able to referee again. Physical inactivity is one of the worst things for them. Airplane travel/extended periods of inactivity would have to be remediated by semi-frequent walk breaks.

Remember that night they talked about just sending him back to his hotel room instead of immediately taking him to the hospital? Still unfathomable to think that was ok. Glad to hear Bert is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagZombie View Post
    Remember that night they talked about just sending him back to his hotel room instead of immediately taking him to the hospital? Still unfathomable to think that was ok. Glad to hear Bert is doing well.
    And Barkley too was astounded. And his silly fellow panelists could only titter. Kenny wanted to know if Bert was a power 5 grad/jk..

I had a blood clot in my lung, and I will tell you it is scary. I couldn't breath and thought I was having a heart attack. They gave me several shots with something that felt like they were shooting battery acid into me. It must have worked, because that was 10 years ago, and I haven't had that problem again.

I am glad he is ok. Very scary.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ncaa-re...143425412.html

The part where he was tricked onto the stretcher is funny. You could tell he was upset. I figured it was just because he wasn't feeling well and annoyed that he couldn't finish the game. Looking at the picture in the new light, he is pissed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    I had a blood clot in my lung, and I will tell you it is scary. I couldn't breath and thought I was having a heart attack. They gave me several shots with something that felt like they were shooting battery acid into me. It must have worked, because that was 10 years ago, and I haven't had that problem again.
    Maybe Lovenox.

Fun fact: There are a lot of options now, but Coumadin, one of the mainstays of treatment for the longest time, has its foundation as mouse poison.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    And Barkley too was astounded. And his silly fellow panelists could only titter. Kenny wanted to know if Bert was a power 5 grad/jk..
    Jazz, I laughed pretty hard at this, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Maybe Lovenox.

Fun fact: There are a lot of options now, but Coumadin, one of the mainstays of treatment for the longest time, has its foundation as mouse poison.
    I've been taking rat poison for 21 years now. Works very well for avoiding future blood clots. Had a pulmonary embolism out of the blue. Found out all about genetic disorders Leiden Factor 5 and Leiden Factor 8. Wife made a t-shirt so I remember to take poison everyday. I hope that's to stop clots and has nothing to do with life insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by gobroncsgozags View Post
    I am glad he is ok. Very scary.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ncaa-re...143425412.html

The part where he was tricked onto the stretcher is funny. You could tell he was upset. I figured it was just because he wasn't feeling well and annoyed that he couldn't finish the game. Looking at the picture in the new light, he is pissed!
    We’re any of you at the GU game in the mid to late 70s when the referee went down but eventually got up and continued to referee the game until he collapses again? The second time he wasn’t so lucky. One of the most surreal moments I’ve been around in athletics.

Glad Bert is O.K.
    But we don't play nobody.

they could have given you TPA which does desolve clots....the other stuff only thins your blood....

I wonder if the ref had the covid vaccine recently...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Both Kenny and Charles said it was crazy to go back to the hotel room...the other two didn't see a problem...glad he is ok...I'd never seen that on the court, except for Hank...

I know nothing about nothing about nothing but if anyone passed out during a game, from the ref to the scorekeeper, and somehow I'm in charge, they always get a free ride to the hospital to try to figure out why. If the docs say he can go to the hotel room, only then can he go to the hotel room. No real price to pay to have people who do know what they're talking about check you over.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I was at that game and yes it was surreal. No protocols at all in those days.

i couldn't believe when Katz originally announced that he was just gonna go back to his hotel room. Sir Charles was right. He needed to get to the hospital.