Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pavel Zakharov Has entered the transfer portal.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    good question.....even when the team was far ahead, he didn't get in....sad....he seemed like he had a lot of potential....
    Wonder if decision had been made to essentially RS this year and work on physical development yet no need to do so officially because this was a “free” year of eligibility for everyone anyway. It’s not like he and Ballo could have shared the mop up minutes anyway....30 seconds each on occasion. Whole thing is kind of odd though as Pavel def has some skills but maybe just not there physically for D1. Saw he already has offers from Miami and LSU though so, again, kind of odd.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

I love the idea of him going to a Boise State or Montana.

Few will help him find a spot, if he wants Few's help.

Maybe even Santa Clara or USF might be good.

He should do very well, I would think.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Forget which game it was but will always remember him nailing a three. Best of luck young man, I've no doubt you were a great teammate
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Wonder if decision had been made to essentially RS this year and work on physical development yet no need to do so officially because this was a “free” year of eligibility for everyone anyway. It’s not like he and Ballo could have shared the mop up minutes anyway....30 seconds each on occasion. Whole thing is kind of odd though as Pavel def has some skills but maybe just not there physically for D1. Saw he already has offers from Miami and LSU though so, again, kind of odd.
    He's no better or worse than Ballo, is he?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    How can we tell? Trust coaches chose to play Gregg and Ballo more this season for a reason.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I love the idea of him going to a Boise State or Montana.

Few will help him find a spot, if he wants Few's help.

Maybe even Santa Clara or USF might be good.

He should do very well, I would think.
    I think Boise State would be looking for more when bringing in a transfer.

Not as wide a body, if they are looking at a force in the lane. Ballo is a wide body with much longer arms.

Probably has a higher ceiling in college. I don't think he will ever develop a 3 point shot.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Forget which game it was but will always remember him nailing a three. Best of luck young man, I've no doubt you were a great teammate
    I think a career 50% shooter from 3, went 1 for 2 each year.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    So power 5 schools Colorado, LSU, and Miami would be interested but he’s not good enough for Boise St? He’s a 7 ft former top 100 recruit with 3 years left to play, hasn’t even turned 20 yet. Just because he didn’t crack the rotation on a team that was wire to wire number 1 doesn’t mean he won’t wind up playing big minutes at a big school.

IMO Pavel's issue was "D"... he didn't get that he has an advantage between the end of his reach and the top of his vertical, went for pump fakes and didn't stay on the ground until the offensive player committed to a shot, also made the cardinal mistake for big guys of allowing a smaller player get to his body... he can learn this but GU has recruited over him, I think Leon could help him at Boise and I'd love to see him there...

Good luck Pavel...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    So power 5 schools Colorado, LSU, and Miami would be interested but heís not good enough for Boise St? Heís a 7 ft former top 100 recruit with 3 years left to play, hasnít even turned 20 yet. Just because he didnít crack the rotation on a team that was wire to wire number 1 doesnít mean he wonít wind up playing big minutes at a big school.
    Yeah - he wasn't a top 100 recruit for nothing; its just that the Zags were in a position to recruit over him unfortunately. Kid is still going to make a presence for himself somewhere else. I'm sure Few would vouch for him when talking to Rice at Boise St.

Agreed... and Zahkarov is a tremendous Athlete... if he figures out
    The “how to play” part, he has a pretty nice ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    So power 5 schools Colorado, LSU, and Miami would be interested but heís not good enough for Boise St? Heís a 7 ft former top 100 recruit with 3 years left to play, hasnít even turned 20 yet. Just because he didnít crack the rotation on a team that was wire to wire number 1 doesnít mean he wonít wind up playing big minutes at a big school.
    Didn't crack the lineup? He never demonstrated the slightest ability to make the rotation. I'm saying Boise State is trending upwards in their program and he's not going to put them into the next level. Just my opinion. I hope he proves me wrong and turns into a great asset on the team he ends up on. Similar to the Ryan Edward track.

Didn't crack the lineup? He never demonstrated the slightest ability to make the rotation. I'm saying Boise State is trending upwards in their program and he's not going to put them into the next level. Just my opinion. I hope he proves me wrong and turns into a great asset on the team he ends up on. Similar to the Ryan Edward track.
    Big men usually take longer to develop, as we saw with Karno. Zach Collins was more advanced, his footwork was excellent.

Zackhrov could play and contribute at Boise State. 7' athletes that can run, and have quickness and that can shoot don't grow on trees. He needs to put on weight, and get playing time. I don't want to see him go to a big school and waste away on the bench. He needs to go to a smaller school that will put him in a game and let him play. Remember Jack Sikma ? He was tall and skinny and went to tiny Illinois Weslyan got to play, put on weight and then had a pretty good career in Seattle. I am not saying he is Sikma, but he is a much better athlete than Sikma ever was. If Sikma would have went to Illinois, Missouri, Iowa he would have wasted away on the bench and never got the chance. When Sikma was in high school he was 6'9'' and maybe 175 lbs. He played against a guy that I know named Dennis Pierce who was 6'3'' and he took Sikma to school, but by going to that small school he was thrown right into the action and got the chance to develop. By his jr. year Sikma was totally dominating everyone he played against, and the rest is history.

Hope Pavel finds a good spot where he can play. Heís just lost in a numbers game here, always seemed fully bought in and he does have talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Hope Pavel finds a good spot where he can play. He’s just lost in a numbers game here, always seemed fully bought in and he does have talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 Wishing him all the best. Always seemed like a great Zag teammate.

I saw Colorado mentioned. Coach Grier is on that staff and others have mentioned Boise State. I have to imagine that the staff will aid in offering advice to any potential landing spots for Pavel. Good luck to him. By all indications he was a tremendous teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    LSU, Colorado, and Miami have already reached out
    He comes preloaded with the 2020-2021 version of the Gonzaga playbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

It was mentioned earlier, but it would be nice to see him go to EWU. He would definitely be a starter there. Although would have to rebuild with the new coach. Might want higher profile school though. Wish him all the luck, unless he plays GU.

Good Luck to you Pavel.
    I think he was a top 50 recruit. when we got him i watched a lot of youtube about him and really liked him, a really good person.
    He was stronger than he looked I thought.
    anyway i would have been a fan of his if he had left last year also
    and he was a good zag in every way, a real team player.
    Jacob Larson perplexed me, did he try to play ball anywhere else, or did he decide
    on a different career?

Spoke to Jacob at the 2020 WCC tourney. Great kid, avid supporter of the team still. Was hoping to be able to stay in the states for an MBA in marketing. Was planning on a business career. Well spoken, polite, smart. Typical Zag. I instantly became a fan and wish him the best.

- whenever a player decides to leave, it is always sad......sad that mutual plans and dreams did not pan out.
    - but that is life, we must move on.
    - i always find it so heart warming that whenever we experience one of these departures, the player and fans always leave on good terms. better than good terms, always a zag, always with a kindred bond.

- all the best to you pavel, don't be a stranger.

Default GU staff assists

The Gonzaga staff is such situations is very helpful in helping the kid find the best next destination possible.: good coaching, winning program, and a need for a center.

Kind of knew this was coming. This also leads to further credence to my belief that Timme will be coming back. Drew is not physically ready for the NBA and needs to develop a more consistent jumper. With Chet likely coming in (likely), Timme can be a PF.

I definitely wish Pavel well. And no matter where he ends up, please sign him up for dancing lessons! The increased fluidity to his movement is the biggest thing, in my opinion, that held him back here.