Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zags At A Crossroads

These philosophies/approaches are not mutually exclusive..... as more than one thing can be true to a degree at one time....

As the Great Yogi Berra once said....." I came to a fork in the road, so I took it ".

I think player "fit" is only applicable to attitude, motivation, and some type of basketball strength that can be exploited. In other words, I don't think Mark Few has this specific vision of what a successful team should be composed of. I think he just puts his best five players on the court.

I mean there is quite a bit of diversity with successful GU offensive/defensive identities over the past decade. Few has just about covered the spectrum with respect to roster make up, position strengths, position weakness. He really just puts his best five players on the court and attempts to amplify their strength and minimize their weakness. His basketball ideology shifting as much as roster churn does. In other words, quite often. About the only axiom you can set in stone with Mark Few is that he believes that the most consistent way to stay out of trouble is with the two point shot. Indeed, his favorite shot touches the backboard. If his roster can consistently deliver that, he doesn't really care what kind of style gets it done for him.

When you can adapt so easily to your roster. Adjust as an automatic response. The recent quantum leap in the number of player transfers will be a little easier to manage.
    Last edited by MickMick; 04-08-2021 at 02:00 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Zags survive with transfers filling the holes. Next year, we may also need a transfer out.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Zags survive with transfers filling the holes. Next year, we may also need a transfer out.
    Many, many.

'I think player "fit" is only applicable to attitude, motivation, and some type of basketball strength that can be exploited. In other words, I don't think Mark Few has this specific vision of what a successful team should be composed of. I think he just puts his best five players on the court."

Gee Mick. That's what "fit" is.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Many, many.
    Plenty to choose from.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Ba...ransferPortal/

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    I meant many many to leave

NCAA championships probably never look the same again with free transfers becoming the rule. I think the 4 year guy is gone, but the three year guy is probably still the core of a championship squad. The key question is whether he started with your team as a freshman or transferred in. This Baylor team for all intents and purposes transfer led at most every key spot.

I think the open portal will benefit GU as much as any other team. When Timme was heading to Oklahoma, and somebody said 'you have a call from Gonzaga.' If my memory is in the ball park, didn't he say when you get a call from GU you pay attention? He did to us what Wiltjer did to Kentucky. We will have as much to pick from as other elite teams. I may not like the open portal, but if it has to be we will benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    I think the open portal will benefit GU as much as any other team. When Timme was heading to Oklahoma, and somebody said 'you have a call from Gonzaga.' If my memory is in the ball park, didn't he say when you get a call from GU you pay attention? He did to us what Wiltjer did to Kentucky. We will have as much to pick from as other elite teams. I may not like the open portal, but if it has to be we will benefit.
    I'm not familiar with the story of Drew going to Oklahoma. What I do know is he and his family made an unofficial visit in the summer of 2017. Drew's mom fell in love with the campus, as we all have, and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    You are confusing Drew with Ryan Woolridge...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Thanks blaha, i knew it was one of our Texas transfers last year and not Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    'I think player "fit" is only applicable to attitude, motivation, and some type of basketball strength that can be exploited. In other words, I don't think Mark Few has this specific vision of what a successful team should be composed of. I think he just puts his best five players on the court."

Gee Mick. That's what "fit" is.
    Not always. A fit could be, for example, a "post up" four instead of a "face up" four. I just went through two paragraphs covering how there could be different versions of fit. In Few's case, he doesn't care. He will make good use of either. Adapt to what he has on the roster. In that regard, it isn't about players fitting with Few, but about Few fitting with players.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Thanks blaha, i knew it was one of our Texas transfers last year and not Drew.
    that's right blaha, it was Ryan, got my Texans mixed up.
    thanks for the info

still like my point, that the open portals will benefit us and other strong programs

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Not always. A fit could be, for example, a "post up" four instead of a "face up" four. I just went through two paragraphs covering how there could be different versions of fit. In Few's case, he doesn't care. He will make good use of either. Adapt to what he has on the roster. In that regard, it isn't about players fitting with Few, but about Few fitting with players.
    Exactly the opposite of what Few says. Lol but have it your own way.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Exactly the opposite of what Few says. Lol but have it your own way.
    That’s my understanding too, Doc.

we have to admit the only two years we got a 5 star recruit from high school we played in the nat'l championship, whether it is coincidence or not
    we just got another one, Sallis for next year ...
    love being a zag all these decades

I tend to prefer to have "the core" of your program be 3-4 year players (some with NBA potential) with the one and dones filling in specific needed roles. I have zero regrets about taking Suggs. I have zero regrets about taking Sallis and I welcome Holmgren if he chooses GU. I just don't see Few as being a guy who goes the UK/Duke route. For one thing, GU is not a blue blood, and they don't have that sort of recruiting pull. But I also feel he values the Corey Kispert types who bring experience, leadership, and talent. I also feel this transfer thing is really going to change college basketball. He was never a star, but I loved what Aaron Cook brought to the team. He could've started on many BCS teams, but he wanted to win a title and is a 4.0 student.

Things are changing with Gonzaga men's basketball, but I do not feel they will ever stray from their core values. But you just can't say no to a talent like Chet Holmgren who loves Gonzaga and who is a very good kid.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I tend to prefer to have "the core" of your program be 3-4 year players (some with NBA potential) with the one and dones filling in specific needed roles. I have zero regrets about taking Suggs. I have zero regrets about taking Sallis and I welcome Holmgren if he chooses GU. I just don't see Few as being a guy who goes the UK/Duke route. For one thing, GU is not a blue blood, and they don't have that sort of recruiting pull. But I also feel he values the Corey Kispert types who bring experience, leadership, and talent. I also feel this transfer thing is really going to change college basketball. He was never a star, but I loved what Aaron Cook brought to the team. He could've started on many BCS teams, but he wanted to win a title and is a 4.0 student.

Things are changing with Gonzaga men's basketball, but I do not feel they will ever stray from their core values. But you just can't say no to a talent like Chet Holmgren who loves Gonzaga and who is a very good kid.
    Agree with this 100% and looking at Zags current roster there seems to be a great group that will hopefully be that core of 3-4 year guys: Timme, Watson, Harris, Strawther, Arlauskas, Gregg, Perry, Fanbo (primarily due to his age). The tricky part will be bringing in those one-and-dones/key transfers who can plug and play for a specific season’s needs without driving off any of the hoped for 3-4 year core guys in the process. Takes some very high character, self-confident dudes in that core group for it to work. Look at next season for example.

At least one and probably two of Watson, Harris, Strawther will not be starting because Sallis and (hopefully) Holmgren will be. All 3 will get meaningful minutes and would presumably be locks to start in the 2022-23 season......unless the next Suggs/Sallis/Holmgren gets recruited in that year. That’s the tightrope Few and staff and all D1 teams have to walk every year I guess, but the instant eligibility transfer reality makes that tightrope tighter (or just no more net underneath it).
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

Yes. Agree.

To compliment what you said, the first championship game we had 3-4 year guys and two "one-year" players in Collins and I count NWG as "One Year" bc he left... and admitted it was a mistake later.

Our elite 8 team was an E8 with one year player (for us) in Bryan Clarke, and that team likely was headed for the NC game were it not for the football game with the team that did go to the NC game.

Then this last year, Suggs one and done, get to NC game.

It seems to get to the NC game a team needs at least one (better 2) one and done, surrounded by 2-4 year guys. It also clearly requires an elite PG, in NWG and Suggs.

At least that's been our experience.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

How many one and dones did Baylor have?