Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Miller out, Tommy ... Arizona thread

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    True, but he's got a hot wife.
    You just HAD to go there, Tex?

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Maybe so. Lloyd leaving would leave a huge hole on the international recruit front, hope he stays. Looks like we've had a few misses lately on the bigs front though.
    Three in a row after Clarkie.

I cannot imagine that Arizona would not hire a current head coach with a proven record of success......
    Last edited by bartruff1; 04-07-2021 at 01:20 PM.

Tommy just built a beautiful new house in Spokane. His parents live just outside of Spokane and frequently attend games. I am telling you, Zona is headed for NCAA hell, and Few ain't coaching until he's 70. He also takes after Few's personality. I do not see him wanting to deal with crazy boosters, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Tommy just built a beautiful new house in Spokane. His parents live just outside of Spokane and frequently attend games. I am telling you, Zona is headed for NCAA hell, and Few ain't coaching until he's 70. He also takes after Few's personality. I do not see him wanting to deal with crazy boosters, etc.
    This is what I like to hear.

Seth’s smart money is on …

It’s understandable why Luke Walton would want to do everything he can to stay in the NBA. Who wants to deal with academics, parents, agents, grassroots coaches, the transfer portal, and most of all the draconian NCAA? Yet Walton is realistic enough to know he could find himself out of a job very soon, and that if he passes up this opportunity it might never come around again. And the competitor in him might be looking at Juwan Howard returning to his alma mater and thinking, “I can do that too.” Arizona can tug at Walton’s heartstrings, and even his purse strings, like no other college in America. It says here those tugs bring Walton home again.

Arizona only offers Lloyd because they are SPECIFICALLY going outside the family. They want the GU image insofar as they have to.

Let's say 7 years..... 28 to 35 million (I have no idea but let's guess)

Maybe GU falls off the map. Maybe Tommy has health issues. Maybe Tommy is tired of waiting and knows Few has 7 or so years to go. Let's say we have some kind of scandal? Maybe the pay to play crap really limits our recruiting.....who knows..........Bird in the hand kind of choice ya know? It's a family run business....and your oldest son just got a job offer for 10x the pay to work for the corporate bully.....it sucks.....but do you really hold him back?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    All fair points, but these rumors didn't just start this week, they have been going on for awhile now and I can promise you U of A wants Tommy and it's Tommy's job to turn down, which he may.

Interesting connection

UA donor Stevens has Gonzaga connection
    Television cameras at Friday’s Gonzaga-North Dakota State game several times captured Jeff Stevens cheering from the front row behind the Zags’ bench, wearing Gonzaga gear. It’s the same Jeff Stevens, UA grad, who is the greatest benefactor in UA athletic department history, and half of the namesake of the Lowell-Stevens Football Facility. He was at the UA-Texas Southern game on Thursday in Portland and at the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas. Stevens’ son, Colin, was a manager for Mark Few’s Bulldogs before graduating in 2013. A year ago, the Stevens family made a significant financial contribution to Gonzaga that enabled the school to build a 72,000-square foot indoor tennis and golf facility.

I'd say Tommy is connected to UA )

https://tucson.com/ua-donor-stevens-...400630b4c.html

Funny take by barstool sports

Want to know the difference between winning and losing? Bill Self just got a lifetime contract and Sean Miller got fired. Both are being investigated for the same exact thing. Bill Self just keeps winning. Sean Miller never made a Final Four and Arizona started falling off the last couple years. So now Arizona makes the move. This had been a rumor for a few days now that Sean Miller was going to get fired and I wouldn't be surprised to see the name Tommy Lloyd from Gonzaga be hired as the next head coach.
    https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...ning-wink-wink

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Why does no one mention Randy Bennett?
    I thought Randy Bennet said he likes his life in Moraga, and was not interested in going to a bigger school, much like Few. If that is true, money might not be enough to motivate him, and he may not want the brighter lights and public spotlight on him all the time. I wish I could remember where I read that...

Going to a school about to get hit by sanctions -- ask Monson how much that helped out his career (had to deal with sanctions for the first part of his stay at Minnesota and never recovered-- one game in the dance in 8 years at Minnesota).

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Going to a school about to get hit by sanctions -- ask Monson how much that helped out his career (had to deal with sanctions for the first part of his stay at Minnesota and never recovered-- one game in the dance in 8 years at Minnesota).
    TBF Minnesota has never been a A-or B+ program and Arizona can consistently get top 5 classes when rolling.

Depending on the sanctions -- they will eventually get going again -- but is that in 2 years-- 3 years or how long?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    I thought Randy Bennet said he likes his life in Moraga, and was not interested in going to a bigger school, much like Few. If that is true, money might not be enough to motivate him, and he may not want the brighter lights and public spotlight on him all the time. I wish I could remember where I read that...
    I wasnt aware that Randy Bennet travelled outside the state of California?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Default Miller Out at Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    TBF Minnesota has never been a A-or B+ program and Arizona can consistently get top 5 classes when rolling.
    Minnesota did have a good run of success under Clem Haskins though before sanctions hit and Monson took over. The Gophers had just made Final Four in 1996-97 as a #1 seed and had made I believe 4 or 5 other NCAA Tournaments in the 1990s with one elite 8 so it had been a successful program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    Minnesota did have a good run of success under Clem Haskins though before sanctions hit and Mondon took over. The Gophers had just made Final Four in 1996-97 as a #1 seed and had made I believe 4 or 5 other NCAA Tournaments in the 1990s with one elite 8 so it had been a successful program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And never had to gang attack the opposition, per Daddy Musselman

from: https://247sports.com/college/arizon...2/#161907742_2

Wednesday 4/7 Update: If you're of the belief that where there's smoke, there is fire, Lloyd is the most likely candidate on the list. We have heard there is a discussion of financial terms and those close to Lloyd believe he will be the guy.

Gary Parrish at CBS with a column re: Miller discharge: https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...e-much-sooner/

But why did it take so long?

And why now?

The sensible thing for Arizona to do would've been to fire Miller years ago -- after former assistant Book Richardson was arrested, charged with federal crimes and caught on a wiretap telling ex-agent Christian Dawkins that Miller "bought" five-star prospect DeAndre Ayton. Even if you think Richardson was lying for some weird reason, there was never any denying that major NCAA rules were broken by multiple Arizona assistants Miller hired. A notice of allegations was guaranteed to arrive someday -- meaning Miller would be running a program under a cloud for years and without the cheating assistants who helped him build it.

It appeared recruiting would fall off.

And, wouldn't you know it, recruiting fell off -- at least in part because it's hard to consistently get the same level of prospects when you no longer have assistants who totally disregard the rulebook. So Arizona missed the NCAA Tournament in 2019, would've been no better than a No. 7 seed in 2020, and missed it again this season because of a self-imposed postseason ban designed to minimize future NCAA sanctions.

So what did keeping Miller accomplish, exactly?

Given the wording “if there’s smoke, there’s fire,” I have a feeling their “sources” are this board.

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post

Not the look you want if you want to purge your program imo

Luke Walton, Damon Stoudamire under consideration ?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ames-to-watch/

Quote Originally Posted by drvenkman05 View Post
    Given the wording “if there’s smoke, there’s fire,” I have a feeling their “sources” are this board.
    LOL! That's hilarious if true.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...339631620?s=20

From Jeff Goodman:

Gotta imagine we'll know soon enough about Lloyd...
    My forecast: Tommy gets a huge salary increase to stay at Gonzaga and Stoudamire gets the Arizona job. Win-win for everyone except for Portland.

Whoever gets the Arizona job is going to have to contend with the LSU Basketball/Will Wade/FBI/DOJ enforcement action which is about to reopen the wounds at Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    My forecast: Tommy gets a huge salary increase to stay at Gonzaga and Stoudamire gets the Arizona job. Win-win for everyone except for Portland.

Whoever gets the Arizona job is going to have to contend with the LSU Basketball/Will Wade/FBI/DOJ enforcement action which is about to reopen the wounds at Arizona.
    Portland?..... you mean Pacific? Not sure how this would affect Lagans at Portland.