Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Miller out, Tommy ... Arizona thread

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    My take is that Damon Stoudamire will likely get it. He has done a good job at Pacific and is an Arizona alum. Maybe Lloyd gets an interview.
    I hope you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I hope it works for Tommy if he gets it, but there is basically no good that can come from taking over a dumpster fire of an Arizona program right now. You will be down scholarships, down post season opportunities, and instantly have a fan base and boosters that expect a return to the Lute era. Getting a program to consistent final 4 contention is hard, let alone with all the headwind. You really only get once chance at being a top major basketball coach.
    Right, it’s not like the Chipmunk had retired or gone to the NBA. Other than 1,000 pounds of snack wrappers and empty pop bottles, he’s left a program that’s about to be cratered. New coach will be unbelievably constrained, making winning even harder. Unblemished, it’s a top 10, maybe top 5 job. Now it’s a possible professional suicide mission.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I agree, I thought it would be Damon all along. He's done a good job at Pacific, considering what he inherited, and how hard it must be to recruit to Stockton and against Gonzaga. He's also been through the NCAA wringer when it comes to compliance. All in all, a better choice for Arizona, no disrespect to Tommy.
    I hope you are right Tex. I want Tommy right where he is at. He was vital in the building of this program, and hope he wants to see it all the way through.

I hope it works for Tommy if he gets it, but there is basically no good that can come from taking over a dumpster fire of an Arizona program right now. You will be down scholarships, down post season opportunities, and instantly have a fan base and boosters that expect a return to the Lute era. Getting a program to consistent final 4 contention is hard, let alone with all the headwind. You really only get once chance at being a top major basketball coach.
    I hear ya.....BUT UA's not Baylor...remember that dumpster fire when Scot Drew signed on?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I hear ya.....BUT UA's not Baylor...remember that dumpster fire when Scot Drew signed on?
    17 years ago
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    17 years ago
    yeah lot more $ today

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Baylor will never completely clean up their athletic programs, they can't help themselves. Not saying the ugliness will return to basketball, but they're going through coaches in football quicker than UT. There's always pressure for them to compete, but it's tough, when their enrollment is less than half of Big 12 schools.

My only question is how did it take this long? Arizona has known what was going on for 4 years. Yet they have done nothing but deny and and act like nothing was happening.
    And now it's coming out they tried to hide and cover stuff up?
    I mean how bad are they going to punish Pacific now?

Baylor will never completely clean up their athletic programs, they can't help themselves. Not saying the ugliness will return to basketball, but they're going through coaches in football quicker than UT. There's always pressure for them to compete, but it's tough, when their enrollment is less than half of Big 12 schools.
    And they’ve got players like Vital on social security.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    My only question is how did it take this long? Arizona has known what was going on for 4 years. Yet they have done nothing but deny and and act like nothing was happening.
    And now it's coming out they tried to hide and cover stuff up?
    I mean how bad are they going to punish Pacific now?
    It took this long because over the last 4 years, Miller hasn't put out a good team.

2018 1st round exit
    2019 Missed tournament
    2020 Cancelled tournament but was 50/50 making it
    2021 Postseason ban but was 50/50 making it.

If Miller had them top 10 this entire time, AZ would look the other way and he would still be there.

Why does no one mention Randy Bennett?

His success was built on the Aussie pipeline. Not sure that translates well at AZ. You gotta be able to do more than that.

A telling comment:

Arizona is going to get HAMMERED. Contract for new coach needs to be 5-6 years. Anything less just won't cut it.
    Hearing closer to 7-8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    8 for $25m? Lute casts a long shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    What odds would you put on Tommy leaving?

What impact will that have on the immediate set of recruiting targets?

Thanks, Caldwell!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Why does no one mention Randy Bennett?
    He deserves a shot at a job like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    He deserves a shot at a job like that.
    Have you heard randy talk? There is a reason he hasn’t gotten a top job. It’s not because he can’t coach. Big time programs need the coach to be the face of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Have you heard randy talk? There is a reason he hasn’t gotten a top job. It’s not because he can’t coach. Big time programs need the coach to be the face of the program.
    Kinda harsh, but some truth. Andy Enfield, for one, is not exactly Demosthenes.

Harsh for sure but I’ve talked to some who know and worked with randy and they have told me a variation of that.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Harsh for sure but I’ve talked to some who know and worked with randy and they have told me a variation of that.
    He’s a friend. Sent u a PM.

LOL. I saw UT and thought Tenn. It is nearly physically impossible to go through coaches quicker than Tenn football.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Man it can't be that much money at Arizona if Borzello is saying they can't afford Musselman who is only making 2.5 at Arkansas.

Irrelevant.
    Maybe so. Lloyd leaving would leave a huge hole on the international recruit front, hope he stays. Looks like we've had a few misses lately on the bigs front though.
    America's Team!

True, but he's got a hot wife.

Man it can't be that much money at Arizona if Borzello is saying they can't afford Musselman who is only making 2.5 at Arkansas.
    With bonus, he made $3.3 million last year.

ETA: I think he's betting that donations are going to dry up when the hammer comes down.