Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Miller out, Tommy ... Arizona thread

Default Original Miller out, Tommy ... Arizona thread

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...339631620?s=20

From Jeff Goodman:

BREAKING: Arizona has parted ways with Sean Miller, sources told
    @Stadium
    . Spent 12 years at UA, had one year left on contract.

Miller was charged with head coach responsibility for failure to promote atmosphere of compliance. Administration stuck by Miller for 4 years.
    Gotta imagine we'll know soon enough about Lloyd...

Hope Tommy stays but couldn't blame him for leaving. Good luck to him!

humiliating finality to all of this Miller BS at Arizona, after 4 years.......

looking forward to the AZ and Miller defenders' spin on this. Miller is somehow the victim, right, and AZ too?

I am really surprised it took them this long to fire him.

So now the Tommy watch is ticking, will we know by Friday if he stays or goes?

Also, if Tommy gets hired at Arizona do you think the Zag game against them gets canceled for the up coming season?

My take is that Damon Stoudamire will likely get it. He has done a good job at Pacific and is an Arizona alum. Maybe Lloyd gets an interview.

I'd be shocked if Tommy doesn't take the job. I can think of about 20 million reasons he'd go.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    My take is that Damon Stoudamire will likely get it. He has done a good job at Pacific and is an Arizona alum. Maybe Lloyd gets an interview.
    I agree, I thought it would be Damon all along. He's done a good job at Pacific, considering what he inherited, and how hard it must be to recruit to Stockton and against Gonzaga. He's also been through the NCAA wringer when it comes to compliance. All in all, a better choice for Arizona, no disrespect to Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    I'd be shocked if Tommy doesn't take the job. I can think of about 20 million reasons he'd go.
    Is Arizona in the clear when it comes to NCAA violations?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I agree, I thought it would be Damon all along. He's done a good job at Pacific, considering what he inherited, and how hard it must be to recruit to Stockton and against Gonzaga. He's also been through the NCAA wringer when it comes to compliance. All in all, a better choice for Arizona, no disrespect to Tommy.
    I agree. Damon would be a good hire. And again, no disrespect to Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    I agree. Damon would be a good hire. And again, no disrespect to Tommy.
    Is Arizona really offering the job to a candidate with no significant head coaching experience (feel free to educate me if I am wrong here)? This is Arizona we are talking about.

I know Tommy is great but that seems odd to me.

Even with the sanctions...this is ARIZONA.

Quote Originally Posted by deathchina View Post
    Is Arizona really offering the job to a candidate with no significant head coaching experience (feel free to educate me if I am wrong here)? This is Arizona we are talking about.

I know Tommy is great but that seems odd to me.

Even with the sanctions...this is ARIZONA.
    I can just see the comments from Arizona fans, after our shellacking by Baylor.

Quote Originally Posted by SwainZag View Post
    Is Arizona in the clear when it comes to NCAA violations?
    Doubtful. That's why I'd expect a long term contract

A telling comment:

According to an earlier report of the Notice of Allegations (NOA) from The Athletic’s Seth Davis and Sports Illustrated’s Pat Forde, the NCAA said Arizona “compromised the integrity of the investigation and failed to cooperate.”
    Arizona is going to get HAMMERED. Contract for new coach needs to be 5-6 years. Anything less just won't cut it.

Another thing to look at is Tommy's son plays for Grand Canyon in AZ. Would be nice to have that proximity for family reasons.
    America's Team!

Part of Arizona’s strategy is to stave off as much NCAA punishment as possible so they are sacrificing Miller as part of that, not that he doesn’t deserve it. It’s all part of the administration’s kabuki dance with the media, alumni and most importantly the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Another thing to look at is Tommy's son plays for Grand Canyon in AZ. Would be nice to have that proximity for family reasons.
    If Lloyd was a normal working schlub doing a 9-5 sure, but I can't imagine being a head coach at a new school leaves much time for traveling to visit family.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Irrelevant.

Not sure Tommy would want AZ with an ax hanging over their neck. But if I was a administrator, and knowing AZ has done so little since Lute passed, I’d pick new blood who’s been an engineer of a highly successful program.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Not sure Tommy would want AZ with an ax hanging over their neck. But if I was a administrator, and knowing AZ has done so little since Lute passed, I’d pick new blood who’s been an engineer of a highly successful program.
    There will be other openings, maybe not this year, at premier programs not having the NCAA Sword of Damocles hanging over their heads.

If Tommy does go to AZ, his kids will be seeing far less of him than they do now.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Part of Arizona’s strategy is to stave off as much NCAA punishment as possible so they are sacrificing Miller as part of that, not that he doesn’t deserve it. It’s all part of the administration’s kabuki dance with the media, alumni and most importantly the NCAA.
    Tommy signs for 5 years leaves after 4 to replace Fewie?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Tommy signs for 5 years leaves after 4 to replace Fewie?
    Double edged sword: what happens if sanctions against AZ don't allow him from turning the program around, would Tommy be damaged goods? Just compare his situation to Billy Grier, who struggled mightily as a head coach. He's now an assistant coach at Colorado, good program.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    humiliating finality to all of this Miller BS at Arizona, after 4 years.......

looking forward to the AZ and Miller defenders' spin on this. Miller is somehow the victim, right, and AZ too?
    Personally I wish they would have kept Miller. I feel that they were made for each other.

I hope it works for Tommy if he gets it, but there is basically no good that can come from taking over a dumpster fire of an Arizona program right now. You will be down scholarships, down post season opportunities, and instantly have a fan base and boosters that expect a return to the Lute era. Getting a program to consistent final 4 contention is hard, let alone with all the headwind. You really only get once chance at being a top major basketball coach.

Muss has to be their first choice, even with his nomadic ways. Luke Walton and Miles Simon from the pros. Pastner, Damon in a third group. Tommy if they really want a tabula rasa.