Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Miller out, Tommy ... Arizona thread

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    As I said, it was a non-starter to begin with. Roth said they would do everything they could to retain Tommy. I don't care what any writer or pundit says, Tommy, just like GU's flirtation with the MWC, probably messed around w/ the Zona job to better his own lot at GU.

The state of Arizona has a law that only allows university employees to be paid so much. Arizona had to fight tooth and nail to get Miller 3 mil, and there is no way with NCAA sanctions coming that Tommy was gonna make close to that. Especially as an assistant coming in from another program.
    It was not a non starter, Iím confident on that. I do believe it died out by this weekend though. I also donít believe it was used by Tommy to get a better deal at GU, although he probably did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    It was not a non starter, I’m confident on that. I do believe it died out by this weekend though. I also don’t believe it was used by Tommy to get a better deal at GU, although he probably did.

I am definitely not in the know but I find it highly unlikely Tommy Lloyd lied to the Arizona AD to get a better contract from GU. More than likely he was very interested and possibly had already said yes according to reports and when the Arizona president stepped in and boosters started screaming they balked. It would be pretty understandable to change your mind after seeing that play out and Arizona get played by Musselman while having you wait around for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    It was not a non starter, I’m confident on that. I do believe it died out by this weekend though. I also don’t believe it was used by Tommy to get a better deal at GU, although he probably did.

Vulture and NEC = The reason I feel it was a non-starter was when I found out thru an insider about Arizona's pay limitations. They are the most profitable program in the nation besides Duke. If there were no limitations, they could throw a bucket load of money at Tommy. Insane money. If Zona didn't have restrictions, I would have never said such a thing. But I am sure there were others things about the job Tommy didn't dig either. And I have no doubt that Arizona messed it up. There is a great article that the Sporting News ran several years ago called "How To Find The Right Man For The Job." One of the key points was to get the process started early and to have a plan if you know your current coach is going to get canned at season's end. There is always a PERFECT coach for your job. But you must have a plan. And having coaches reject your job only makes other candidates concerned about the detriments of the job, and it drives up their prices.

Anyway, one less thing to worry about.

Vulture and NEC = The reason I feel it was a non-starter was when I found out thru an insider about Arizona's pay limitations. They are the most profitable program in the nation besides Duke. If there were no limitations, they could throw a bucket load of money at Tommy. Insane money. If Zona didn't have restrictions, I would have never said such a thing. But I am sure there were others things about the job Tommy didn't dig either. And I have no doubt that Arizona messed it up. There is a great article that the Sporting News ran several years ago called "How To Find The Right Man For The Job." One of the key points was to get the process started early and to have a plan if you know your current coach is going to get canned at season's end. There is always a PERFECT coach for your job. But you must have a plan. And having coaches reject your job only makes other candidates concerned about the detriments of the job, and it drives up their prices.

Anyway, one less thing to worry about.
    Whoever they hire will end up getting paid at least 2.5M per year and Iíll be surprised if itís not a lot more than that. You can bank that.

Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    If you want to see panic and depression head over to this thread on our site.

http://beardownwildcats.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6603
    Thanks for this. I love how the comment from here turned into a meme. My condolences on having to go through this. If it's any consolation, it sounds somewhat what it's been like as a mariner's fan over the last 19 years.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

As I said, it was a non-starter to begin with. Roth said they would do everything they could to retain Tommy. I don't care what any writer or pundit says (especially at 247), Tommy, just like GU's flirtation with the MWC, probably messed around w/ the Zona job to better his own lot at GU.

The state of Arizona has a law that only allows university employees to be paid so much. Arizona had to fight tooth and nail to get Miller 3 mil, and there is no way with NCAA sanctions coming that Tommy was gonna make close to that. Especially as an assistant coming in from another program. It's going to take some time for the program to recover, and the boosters won't understand. By that time, Few will be close to retiring, and Tommy will assume the reigns at GU.

Part of the problem is that many national pundits feel Few is going to be at GU after 70. I still have a bet going that he will be retired by 65. Basketball is not his whole life. He wishes to do other things while he is physically fit.
    I believe Few has definitively said a few times that he is no way staying till 70. I agree that 65 is probably around when he calls it quits. I'd be pretty surprised if he hangs it up too much sooner than that considering Gonzaga is where it is as a program and can now legitimately recruit pretty much anyone they want. He can compete for a title pretty much every year till he's 65 with where the program is at now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Arenas has never excelled in intellectual exercises.

Uninformed at best.
    Arenas is not terribly bright, regardless of his self characterization: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/gil...ington-wizards
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

I'm actually kind of shocked that Kerr isn't interested.

True, he may prefer to be the next governor of California (and would have a good shot), or just be on the Board of Directors of a dozen major companies.

But if he wants to coach into his future, I'm surprised he prefers the NBA that much over his alma mater. Yes, recruiting sux, but he's such a presence that he might not have to drain himself at it.

Or maybe he'd prefer to be the next president of the Univ. of Arizona, bc maybe they'll be looking for one of those soon, too.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Let me say, you gotta romance Stevie. Heís deep but emotional. I agree, itís time for his penultimate chapter. Heís so darn smart, articulate, charismatic that heck Zona should make him the countryís first President-Head Coach. Heís that good.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post

True, he may prefer to be the next governor of California (and would have a good shot), or just be on the Board of Directors of a dozen major companies.

But if he wants to coach into his future, I'm surprised he prefers the NBA that much over his alma mater. Yes, recruiting sux, but he's such a presence that he might not have to drain himself at it.

Or maybe he'd prefer to be the next president of the Univ. of Arizona, bc maybe they'll be looking for one of those soon, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post

Woj said it pretty well: “No one is leaving a head coaching job in the NBA for college anymore. Not the Celtics. Not the Kings. Not anyone, anywhere. Nobody is returning to college unless they’re no longer welcome to stay in pros.”

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Woj said it pretty well: “No one is leaving a head coaching job in the NBA for college anymore. Not the Celtics. Not the Kings. Not anyone, anywhere. Nobody is returning to college unless they’re no longer welcome to stay in pros.”
    Woj has more than a vested interest in the NBA, so I don’t consider his an objective point of view. He’s part of the woodwork, part of the kremlin in Secaucus. But his words have merit, and the operative one is “leaving.” Walton may be leaving soon, for example.

So, where do we stand? Is he in, or is he not?

Out

"We don't want nobody that nobody sent."

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Woj has more than a vested interest in the NBA, so I don’t consider his an objective point of view. He’s part of the woodwork, part of the kremlin in Secaucus. But his words have merit, and the operative one is “leaving.” Walton may be leaving soon, for example.
    Not an objective point of view, but accurate. It would have to be an alumni situation like Patrick Ewing, who was an NBA assistant. Funny thing is, Kerr imo is a better fit for the college game and college kids. He seemed to leave the door open at some point down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Out

"We don't want nobody that nobody sent."
    Where does it say that?

Where does it say that?
    GU board tea leaf reading.

Not an objective point of view, but accurate. It would have to be an alumni situation like Patrick Ewing, who was an NBA assistant. Funny thing is, Kerr imo is a better fit for the college game and college kids. He seemed to leave the door open at some point down the road.
    Trust me on this, Stevie has talked about coaching at his alma mater for many years. Thing is, he's so protean when it comes to hoops it's always been back burnered. And he would be another Dean or Lute if he ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    GU board tea leaf reading.

Ah, an impeccable source.

I would believe that in most instances but as has been said, a struggling monster alma mater might be different.

NCAA salaries rival NBA salaries (for decent jobs), and - if one does enjoy the actual coaching aspect of the game, there seems to be a lot more actual coaching in college.

I am not saying that the NBA doesn't play defense, or isn't complex to run, but there it seems there are more guys who simply aren't going to listen to a coach that they can fire at any time. There are probably 20-30 guys in the NBA who can all but fire their coach.

I should shut up. I realize that. I don't know much about the NBA, or college for that matter.

I just know this, if someone offered me a few million to coach at Utah, Boulder, Palo Alto, or Tuscon, I'd have to be part of a family making millions at Gonzaga to say no. Not for nothing but Grier seems damned happy in Boise making a little less than a million, and that seems quite doable, too.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

So, where do we stand? Is he in, or is he not?
    A former poster on this site, who has a record of being a very reliable source of information, initially reported that Tommy was headed to Arizona unless Arizona "screws the deal up". After that, the Zona coaching hunt went off the rails. As of two days ago, the aforementioned source stated "I think Arizona might really screw this up." I tend to listen to what this guy says as it isn't based on his speculations or rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    A former poster on this site, who has a record of being a very reliable source of information, initially reported that Tommy was headed to Arizona unless Arizona "screws the deal up". After that, the Zona coaching hunt went off the rails. As of two days ago, the aforementioned source stated "I think Arizona might really screw this up." I tend to listen to what this guy says as it isn't based on his speculations or rumor.
    Sounds like Pope is in the mix now but he could also just be pushing for a raise at BYU like Musselmen along with the GaTech coach who is an alum. Tommy either didn’t interview well or their was a ton of pressure from x players to look harder or a combo of both. I wouldn’t write Tommy off either at this point until he formally pulls out.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    Sounds like Pope is in the mix now but he could also just be pushing for a raise at BYU like Musselmen along with the GaTech coach who is an alum. Tommy either didn’t interview well or their was a ton of pressure from x players to look harder or a combo of both. I wouldn’t write Tommy off either at this point until he formally pulls out.
    Goodman weighs in:

As the Arizona men's basketball coaching search continues, another candidate is starting to gain some traction in chatter as a possibility to replace Sean Miller as the coach of the Wildcats.

BYU coach Mark Pope.

Stadium's Jeff Goodman tweeted out Tuesday that Pope "should be in the conversation as one of the top candidates" for the job.

He tweeted: "As an Arizona alum, the other name that I have said should be in the conversation as one of the top candidates is BYU’s Mark Pope. Played in NBA, 6 years as college assistant, grinded it for 4 as head coach at Utah Valley and has done a really good job in two seasons at BYU."

Goodman raved about the BYU coach as a potential option for Arizona on his podcast last week.

“I mentioned Mark Pope months ago," Goodman said. I think he’d be really good. A-list personality. Done a great job at BYU so far. I think Mark Pope should be in the equation if they’re going outside the family.”

Goodman's tweet drew a lot of attention, including that of Pac-12 Insider Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News, who replied: "Makes more sense than so many names currently tied to the vacancy."

"Other than Gonzaga’s Mark Few, the one Western head coach who would meet Arizona’s expectations is BYU’s Mark Pope. He is the anti-Sean Miller: Warm, fuzzy, doing more with less. But Pope is untouchable. He is signed through 2027. I don’t think Pope would even leave BYU to return to his alma mater, Kentucky, if the need arose."

He then quoted Pope from six months ago.

“I love BYU,” Pope said when he signed his contract extension . “I love what the university stands for.”

Still, some people around the BYU program appear to be getting nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    I wouldn’t write Tommy off either at this point until he formally pulls out.
    Did he ever formally go in?
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Tommy and his rep are really getting bounced around by mostly know nothings. I get that's what the money is for, but at this point enough is enough, IMO.

Goodman weighs in:

As the Arizona men's basketball coaching search continues, another candidate is starting to gain some traction in chatter as a possibility to replace Sean Miller as the coach of the Wildcats.

BYU coach Mark Pope.

Stadium's Jeff Goodman tweeted out Tuesday that Pope "should be in the conversation as one of the top candidates" for the job.

He tweeted: "As an Arizona alum, the other name that I have said should be in the conversation as one of the top candidates is BYU’s Mark Pope. Played in NBA, 6 years as college assistant, grinded it for 4 as head coach at Utah Valley and has done a really good job in two seasons at BYU."

Goodman raved about the BYU coach as a potential option for Arizona on his podcast last week.

“I mentioned Mark Pope months ago," Goodman said. I think he’d be really good. A-list personality. Done a great job at BYU so far. I think Mark Pope should be in the equation if they’re going outside the family.”

Goodman's tweet drew a lot of attention, including that of Pac-12 Insider Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News, who replied: "Makes more sense than so many names currently tied to the vacancy."

"Other than Gonzaga’s Mark Few, the one Western head coach who would meet Arizona’s expectations is BYU’s Mark Pope. He is the anti-Sean Miller: Warm, fuzzy, doing more with less. But Pope is untouchable. He is signed through 2027. I don’t think Pope would even leave BYU to return to his alma mater, Kentucky, if the need arose."

He then quoted Pope from six months ago.

“I love BYU,” Pope said when he signed his contract extension . “I love what the university stands for.”

Still, some people around the BYU program appear to be getting nervous.
    Gotta feel for BYU - they've got a really good coach and it seemed as if their program was in a strong position (although the transfers out this year might have them take a step or two back).