Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Miller out, Tommy ... Arizona thread

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    I’d be shocked if it was Musselman. He’s likely working Arkansas for a raise. SEC schools have real money and he’s at the low or lowest end of their pay scale currently.
    Yep, Robbins is getting played.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    I’d be shocked if it was Musselman. He’s likely working Arkansas for a raise. SEC schools have real money and he’s at the low or lowest end of their pay scale currently.
    To be honest - I don't give a %$@* who it is as long as it isn't Tommy Lloyd. My hope is they "jack" him around so much that he just says forget it (PG version), I'm staying at GU. So the speculation can run rampant with Damon or Musselman or whomever, i don't care about UA basketball. Just keep Tommy in Spokane.

I do think the longer this goes on the less chance Tommy Lloyd leaves. It can't be impressing Lloyd that they don't seem convinced he is the right guy for the job. Or at least there seems to be some dissension on whom the next coach should be.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    To be honest - I don't give a %$@* who it is as long as it isn't Tommy Lloyd. My hope is they "jack" him around so much that he just says forget it (PG version), I'm staying at GU. So the speculation can run rampant with Damon or Musselman or whomever, i don't care about UA basketball. Just keep Tommy in Spokane.
    I completely agree!
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    I do think the longer this goes on the less chance Tommy Lloyd leaves. It can't be impressing Lloyd that they don't seem convinced he is the right guy for the job. Or at least there seems to be some dissension on whom the next coach should be.
    Roger that. Concur.

Felt the same way about Kessler.

Musselman with a new deal. Played Arizona like a fiddle.

Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    The president (Robbins) is the guy doing the hiring for the football team and basketball team. The AD (Heeke) is just along for the ride and to stand in front of the cameras and take the heat. There was a report a few years ago that Robbins actually gave Rich Rod (the football coach at the time) some plays that he drew up and wanted RR to run. Clown show.
    This jives with the eye on college basketball podcast guys (Norlander and Parrish) reporting that Heeke has zero power as AD. Everything goes through the President. Everything. And he’s been known to be beholden to big money boosters...

Musselman with a new deal. Played Arizona like a fiddle.
    Muss and Zona would have been marriage made in heaven. Deserve each other

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Better than decent. Not up to U Dub, Madison or Big Blue but right there with Boulder, Eugene, Columbus. Number one dream school in this small town.
    You, of course, meant to put Berkeley, and UVA there with the top academic public schools.

I've also always wondered if a person could win at BB at Berkeley or if the grade thing is too big an issue.

Did they even ask Steve Kerr? That would seem like the most natural fit. Warriors on the downslope, Kerr being a winner and someone who kids would want to play for.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    You, of course, meant to put Berkeley, and UVA there with the top academic public schools.

I've also always wondered if a person could win at BB at Berkeley of if the grade thing is too big an issue.
    Those two are a tier beyond, neo Ivy.

Astonishing. Zona back to drawing board? At what pt does TL say take your stupid job and shove it?

https://247sports.com/college/arizon...lan-164082558/

As soon as Arizona fired Sean Miller, the word around coaching circles was that a deal with Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd would come soon after. it was supposedly one of the worst kept secrets in the country and Lloyd has gone as far as to reach out to possible assistants and tell those around him that he was confident he was going to be the next coach at Arizona.

That may still be the case and it is completely possible Arizona lucks into the right decision, but it is clear that Arizona never had a plan to get there. When word that Lloyd was the clear choice started to surface, Arizona alumni became more vocal. It wasn't a polite standoff either, as there are plenty of angry people that are making their voice heard directly to the athletic department.

Arizona has interviewed Lloyd and a handful of coaching candidates with ties to the Wildcats, but then decided to get played by Eric Musselman. Anybody with a pulse knew that Musselman was pressuring Arkansas to get his contract done and he talked with Arizona knowing that he wasn't going to wind up in Tucson, but rather get his extension.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post

I've also always wondered if a person could win at BB at Berkeley or if the grade thing is too big an issue.

Did they even ask Steve Kerr? That would seem like the most natural fit. Warriors on the downslope, Kerr being a winner and someone who kids would want to play for.
    They have asked Kerr. He said he's happy where's he's at right now.

It's starting to look like the Lloyd to Arizona fruit is dying on the vine.

It's Stevie's world, we're just living in it. U have to push harder. He has so many options. Don't be beguiled by his incredibly cheerful demeanor. He respects intelligence. There has to be someone on that campus who fills that bill. Before he becomes NBA commish, or Gov of AZ, or whatever he wants, he might try his hand at college coaching. And the Dubs do seem to be falling deeper into a trough.

Simply amazing. I can't possibly imagine that Lloyd would want the job now if they come back to him.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Simply amazing. I can't possibly imagine that Lloyd would want the job now if they come back to him.
    Must want it badly.

From the outside looking in, this is a real clusterama.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    From the outside looking in, this is a real clusterama.
    Seriously - why the heck would Lloyd want to be a part of this dysfunction now?

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Seriously - why the heck would Lloyd want to be a part of this dysfunction now?
    I can give you about 15M reasons. A job of this caliber won’t come up very often and when it does, an assistant with no HC experience will doubtfully be considered. Cronin at UCLA was a messy process as well but
    I think everyone is happy now.

Daniel Batcho in the portal. You have to think they'd be telling their recruits what their plan was if they had one. I guess it is possible they told them their plan, and the recruits just didn't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Very odd for an assistant with no hc experience to get the head job at a basketball powerhouse.

In my opinion Robbins is going to select Stoudamire.

And Tommy is going to get a raise at Gonzaga. I would not be surprised at all if we hear Tommy come out publicly and turn down the job now.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post

And Tommy is going to get a raise at Gonzaga. I would not be surprised at all if we hear Tommy come out publicly and turn down the job now.
    Perhaps. That usually happens when the individual knows they aren’t going to be selected. We aren’t there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post

That would be interesting. Assume GU has given Tommy a proposal to stay at GU. If he’s not selected for the job do they honor that? If he withdraws it would be pretty clear he would get Roth’s offer so if he’s getting cold feet or isn’t confident they will formally offer he may be wise to withdraw ASAP to get his raise.

This is beginning to look strikingly similar to the WSU football coach Mike Price coaching hire by Alabama years ago.

Something that did not turn out well for Price.

TL and GU have to manage this pr nightmare so that all the ill will falls on the U of Saguaro, where it belongs. Best to start huddling up now.