Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Original Miller out, Tommy ... Arizona thread

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    Fans can stay, right? I don't want to go to Arizona.

I’ll be hanging tight here in GUNation and will never join UA hoops’ version of GUBoards but Arizona definitely surges into my Top 5 favorite college hoops teams w Tommy Lloyd at the helm.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Sometimes the money isn't worth it..... The AZ BB peripheral looks like a never ending nightmare of interference from all sides.... Tommy is a good guy but he is walking into a chit storm.... GU will miss him but he just might miss GU more...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

I’ll be hanging tight here in GUNation and will never join UA hoops’ version of GUBoards but Arizona definitely surges into my Top 5 favorite college hoops teams w Tommy Lloyd at the helm.
    Any word from seacatfan?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    With bonus, he made $3.3 million last year.

ETA: I think he's betting that donations are going to dry up when the hammer comes down.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Sometimes the money isn't worth it..... The AZ BB peripheral looks like a never ending nightmare of interference from all sides.... Tommy is a good guy but he is walking into a chit storm.... GU will miss him but he just might miss GU more...

Go!! Zags!!!
    I wonder if there was some side agreement that if az let’s him go he can come back and sit with Fewie. Rooting for his success but all it takes at a place like AZ is a couple off years

Dear Students and Colleagues,
    I am honored to announce to you all that Tommy Lloyd will be our next head men’s basketball coach. Tommy has spent two decades helping build Gonzaga into one of the nation’s elite programs and has established himself as an extraordinary leader in all facets of coaching. He is a dynamic recruiter, a skillful tactician on the court and an exceptional mentor in developing student-athletes on and off the court.

In his 20 seasons as a member of Mark Few’s coaching staff at Gonzaga, Tommy helped guide the Zags to unprecedented heights while developing numerous NBA Draft picks. Gonzaga has posted a winning percentage of 84.1 percent since the 2001-02 seasons, won a total of 34 conference championships and qualified for the NCAA Tournament in each of those years, including four Sweet 16’s, two Elite Eights and a pair of National Championship appearances.

During Coach Lloyd’s tenure in Spokane, Gonzaga produced 19 All-Americans, 15 WCC Players of the Year and a dozen NBA Draft picks, which include four first-round selections since 2016.

As I spoke with Tommy during this process, it became clear to me that he has the drive, experience, and championship pedigree to guide our program to its future as a prominent national program. His passion for developing student-athletes for success on and off the court as well as life beyond basketball rivals his appreciation for the legacy of Arizona Basketball and the role it plays in our Southern Arizona community.

“I am extremely grateful to President Robbins and Dave Heeke for the incredible opportunity to lead one of the country’s most storied men’s basketball programs,” said Lloyd. “While there are certainly potential obstacles ahead for our program, I embrace the challenge as we will build on the foundation in place to compete for PAC-12 and national championships. I know how much Arizona Basketball means to the institution, its fans, its community and the state, and I cannot wait to get started. That works begin now. My family and I are excited to settle in Tucson and begin a new chapter.”

We will hold a press conference for Coach Lloyd at 1:30 p.m. (MST) on Thursday, April 15 and will stream the ceremony on Arizona Athletics’ Facebook page.

Please join me in welcoming to the Wildcat Family Coach Lloyd, his wife, Chanelle, and their three children, Liam, Sophia Marie and Maria Alexis.

Bear Down and Go Cats!

Dave Heeke

Vice President and Director of Athletics
    The University of Arizona

- i've come to not doubt caldwell
    - that said, i've often wondered if coach lloyd wasn't one of his inside sources.

- wishing coach lloyd great success.............but i cannot bring myself to root for arizona. but its all good, my not rooting for arizona will have no effect upon lloyds success.

Back in the 80's and 90's Arizona was always my favorite pac12 team. Before the Zags made inroads. Loved those early Lute Olsen teams. They were a thing of beauty. Gonna root for Tommy in the Pac12. The Wildcats will be my favorite team. (Sorry UDub, you just can't get it together). Congrats Tommy to you and your family. Make us proud!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - i've come to not doubt caldwell
    - that said, i've often wondered if coach lloyd wasn't one of his inside sources.

- wishing coach lloyd great success.............but i cannot bring myself to root for arizona. but its all good, my not rooting for arizona will have no effect upon lloyds success.
    Maybe someone will open a pay for info website for AZ now!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I love Tommy a Lot. And I’m EXTREMELY HAPPY he got the job he deserves. But ain’t no way you can pay me to root for Arizona haha
    Haha. I get it. That’s how I feel about UCLA. I have a good buddy who went to UA, which helps. Early on in GU’s rise, my hope was that GU could ascend to their level some day...

Here's Gary Parrish's Eye on College Basketball podcast about Tommy's hire by Arizona: https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/CBS...=CBS3536713837

Default so it is Tommy .....

just read that Arizona hired him.....so happy for him, sad for us....

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Haha. I get it. That’s how I feel about UCLA. I have a good buddy who went to UA, which helps. Early on in GU’s rise, my hope was that GU could ascend to their level some day...
    Maybe now, UA can compete with todays Zags.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Any word from seacatfan?
    I haven't been following very closely as this has dragged out. I also haven't followed Arizona very closely in recent years.

Hiring a first time head coach is always a huge risk, no matter how good his resume appears to be. You just never know if someone is cut out for it until you have some actual results to judge by. We'll find out. Arizona is doing GU a big favor in finding out for them if Lloyd is head man material or not.

Great Move T Lloyd!

He is too good to be Robin for 10 more years and a Arizona is a great place to be Bat Man.

I also think GU will be fine. Everybody wins.

The reality of Tommy leaving is the chance of him coming back to Gonzaga at any point is pretty low. He would have to kill it as a HC there and then want to leave when the GU job opens up AND Gonzaga not name a coach in waiting like they have in the past. I doubt he would come back as an assistant if things don’t go great. Billy Grier is on the Colorado bench now despite being so close to Few. Just doesn’t work that way.

Tommy Lloyd as the future HC at Gonzaga is a wrap, as in its no longer going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy will likely make 10+ million from the Arizona job so he is probably financially set. It’s going to take a few days for this to really totally sink in now that this is official.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Tommy Lloyd as the future HC at Gonzaga is a wrap, as in its no longer going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GU still has Few. I think GU will be in good hands with what they have on the bench and can't wait to see who Mark Few brings in as the 4th coach. ( I hope he can recruit overseas.) Ronny Turiaf has to be the biggest ambassador for GU.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I haven't been following very closely as this has dragged out. I also haven't followed Arizona very closely in recent years.

Hiring a first time head coach is always a huge risk, no matter how good his resume appears to be. You just never know if someone is cut out for it until you have some actual results to judge by. We'll find out. Arizona is doing GU a big favor in finding out for them if Lloyd is head man material or not.
    Good article on what Lloyd is walking into:
    https://madhoopsthebook.com/2021/04/...t-zona-gamble/

I look forward to having a Pac12 team to root for and follow.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

He’ll earn every penny. No time for trout fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    He’ll earn every penny. No time for trout fishing.
    That’s for sure. Is 5 year contract pretty standard? Within a year recruiting will be hard unless that gets extended. Hope our guy and his squeaky clean reputation and character are not just gonna be used by UA as a 5 year transition away from Miller’s mess so they can then bring in a UA guy.

That’s for sure. Is 5 year contract pretty standard? Within a year recruiting will be hard unless that gets extended. Hope our guy and his squeaky clean reputation and character are not just gonna be used by UA as a 5 year transition away from Miller’s mess so they can then bring in a UA guy.
    If Miller had left for a 'Cuse or NC on his own feet, who do you think they'd have picked?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    If Miller had left for a 'Cuse or NC on his own feet, who do you think they'd have picked?
    If you’re asking who UA would have picked if none of the shady unethical recruiting violations had happened I’d guess Stoudamire but since he was an assistant at UA while some of that was going on he doesn’t give them the clean slate look they want w NCAA.

Can we euthanize this thread?

Interesting article, thanks for the link.