Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who Will Return? And Who Will Leave

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    It is alluring, except Suggs plays so all out, how many times this year did he hurt himself diving out of bounds, jumping 8 feet in the air, all that.

I don't know how insurance policies work, but the chance of injury looms with all players but Suggs is the type that actually has a significantly higher percentage.
    Zags could pay for policy

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...urance-policy/

I hope to be here...

Suggs could go Butlers route )

Butler talked to 20 NBA teams while weighing whether to return to Baylor for the 2020-21 season, and he could be collecting a professional paycheck somewhere right now. But there was something on his mind as he weighed his decision. As he explained when he announced his return, it was "unfinished business" that prompted his return.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I hope to be here...
    Everything okay Bart? I hope all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Suggs could go Butlers route )
    I am a BIG fan of Jared Butler. This kid seems to have it all. ( On and off the court.)

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Yes...I don't plan on leaving....

Yes...I don't plan on leaving....

I'd get a policy for $50 million just in case. NCAA might frown but as far as I know, it's legal. We've talked about that years back.

I really hope Cook stays. He was fantastic in limited minutes this year.

If we have the personnel to run the motion offense again, then I worry for Ballo’s time. The offense doesn’t really fit his strengths. Bigs will likely include Timme, Watson, Gregg, Perry and Holmgren. If Kessler comes too - there aren’t any minutes left.

I like our scoring ability with Nembhard, Timme, Dom, Strawther, Hunter, Gregg and Chet. Anton needs to make a commitment to fitness and work on explosiveness to keep minutes. He has the skills. Perry will be raw but gifted athlete.

We have 7 months to wait for another title run. I do think we're in for a treat. Upcoming team will have superior talent. We just had the most explosive year we've had in years. Take quite a bit to eclipse the excitement we all had over this present team. Fun crazy year. Each and every year, these kids do the job, What a gift over the years.... among the best teams assembled apart from the one loss. We begin it all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by matttrick View Post
    I am so certain that he won't be back- and for good reason- but I will dream about it until his announcement is official. He's so fiercely competitive that I could see him having second thoughts about leaving until his journey is complete, but for his sake, he must (IMO). Bigger fish to fry!

Suggs is so freaking fun to watch- one of the greatest joys I've experiences as a sports fan. As someone who doesn't hasn't been able to follow the NBA for many years- Suggs may get me to do so.
    Fun to dream big dreams so I’m w you on this one. Some compelling reasons Suggs may consider going against the grain and deciding to ZagUp for one more season, the biggest one being to bring Gonzaga and Few a first national championship. Doing it w your childhood friend and teammates he loves and love him right back also compelling. Not likely, especially considering he and his family apparently took a long look at the G League and instant $ option, but fun to dream.

I am shocked by the Lloyd speculation. Boils down to what makes the guy tick...wanting to be an HC and reach pinnacle of one’s profession (nothing wrong w that of course) vs content having a job & community you and your family love and making enough $ to be comfortable and take care of said family (nothing wrong w that of course). I am shocked by the thought only because I’d assumed Tommy Lloyd and Few were the next Bill Guthridge and Dean Smith of college hoops. Ego, which is not a four letter word, is what it boils down to.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Just a childish joke....I need to respect the fact that the members of a fan board enjoy speculating about the future....I promise to try harder in the future to avoid such smartass remarks.....

I’m guessing Miller is out and Lloyd is listening

There’s also the issue of coach Sean Miller’s contract situation. He’s entering the final season of the 5-year extension he signed in 2017, and it’s almost unheard of for a college basketball coach to get to this point with either being extended or let go.

I’m guessing Miller is out and Lloyd is listening
    Does it basically come down to what the NCAA decides to do punishment-wise, at which point UoA will make a decision?

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Does it basically come down to what the NCAA decides to do punishment-wise, at which point UoA will make a decision?
    My opinion.....UA Administration/Alums tired of Miller’s antics will pull out deep pockets to start clean with someone like Lloyd ....

just had to wait until Zags season was over to pursue.

Gonzaga Baylor Illinois have strong Spokane connections I’m sure UA Admin is thinking why not here.

This week, the rumors have gotten stronger that Arizona is looking at Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd or Arkansas coach Eric Musselman. There's one issue with that, however. Arizona still has a head coach and the rumors of everything going on behind the scenes means that the head coach of Arizona has limited power and the administration is likely being sloppy.

https://247sports.com/college/arizon...all-163793179/

https://247sports.com/Article/Sean-M...ion-163801903/

Quote Originally Posted by Mvzags View Post
    We all know Suggs will not be returning, but what if: 1) he is the consummate competitor who desired the championship, visualized it and dreamt it; 2) has the opportunity to play one season with his childhood friend and teammate, Chet; 3) with his tricky trio buddies ready to contribute meaningful minutes next year and play one more time with them; 4) his relationship with Few and the coaches, his brotherhood of teammates; 5) a chance to play in the Kennel before fans. The lure of the NBA will win out but we can dream can’t we
    Say this actually happens...you could see Holmgren and Suggs go 1-2 in 2022 NBA draft. Dare to dream!

I promise to try harder in the future to avoid such smartass remarks.....
    If you did that we would indeed begin to believe something was wrong with you.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

EPSN (Borzello) reporting Sean Miller is out at Arizona, fyi

just an alert don't see a link yet
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    This week, the rumors have gotten stronger that Arizona is looking at Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd or Arkansas coach Eric Musselman. There's one issue with that, however. Arizona still has a head coach and the rumors of everything going on behind the scenes means that the head coach of Arizona has limited power and the administration is likely being sloppy.

https://247sports.com/college/arizon...all-163793179/

https://247sports.com/Article/Sean-M...ion-163801903/
    Jazz, interested in your thoughts on Damon Stoudemire going to Arizona. I think he's the logical choice for Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    Along these lines, I have a question that I have yet to find an answer. Since this year did not count against eligibility, how are scholarship limits handled next year and in the next 4-5 years? Is it still a hard 13? If not, when does it return to 13? What happens to a school that had 5 players playing their final year of eligibility, have 5 recruits signed for 2021, and then find out that none of the 5 "seniors" decided to leave? Do they get to have 18 scholarship players?
    - this is a great question, and it gets no traction, that is, an answer from this knowledgeable fan base,
    - the ncaa/college administrators have had all season to step up to a mic, or give a press release to explain how returning seniors and committed in coming freshman will be handled, i.e. scholarships

- i have a 'guess'........returning senior players will not be given a scholarship. my 3 reasons are......
    #1. unless everyone on this board has missed the announcement, there has been no announcement on an increase in scholarships.
    #2. if even just a few senior on every college team wanted to return, a college would be looking at around 3 dozen additional scholarships, each year for the next 4 years. i do not see college administrator wanting to pick up that addl cost, at a time in which parents are questioning the value of on campus college tuition, given this years covid protocols.
    #3. many sporting seasons have concluded, and as of yet the news about a player returning after his/her senior year have been very limited. i think i have heard two stories about such a player.

- all just a guess on my part. i could be wrong, i could even be ignorant of facts not known to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - this is a great question, and it gets no traction, that is, an answer from this knowledgeable fan base,
    - the ncaa/college administrators have had all season to step up to a mic, or give a press release to explain how returning seniors and committed in coming freshman will be handled, i.e. scholarships

- i have a 'guess'........returning senior players will not be given a scholarship. my 3 reasons are......
    #1. unless everyone on this board has missed the announcement, there has been no announcement on an increase in scholarships.
    #2. if even just a few senior on every college team wanted to return, a college would be looking at around 3 dozen additional scholarships, each year for the next 4 years. i do not see college administrator wanting to pick up that addl cost, at a time in which parents are questioning the value of on campus college tuition, given this years covid protocols.
    #3. many sporting seasons have concluded, and as of yet the news about a player returning after his/her senior year have been very limited. i think i have heard two stories about such a player.

- all just a guess on my part. i could be wrong, i could even be ignorant of facts not known to me.
    Do we really want 24 and 25 YOs playing college basketball? That's what it will come down to. Case in point: Mark Vital of Baylor turns 25 in November.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Jazz, interested in your thoughts on Damon Stoudemire going to Arizona. I think he's the logical choice for Arizona.
    Muss has to be their first choice, even with his nomadic ways. Luke Walton and Miles Simon from the pros. Pastner, Damon in a third group. Tommy if they really want a tabula rasa.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Muss has to be their first choice, even with his nomadic ways. Luke Walton and Miles Simon from the pros. Pastner, Damon in a third group. Tommy if they really want a tabula rasa.
    Muss is already making $3 million + at Arkansas. AZ would really have to open up the checkbook for him.

OTOH, Stoudamire is said to be making less than $100 K at Pacific. I know, he made plenty of money in the NBA, but that's still a puny figure. Perhaps Pacific supplements it from the NCAA tournament money.