Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2021-22 Projected Starting Rotation Guesses

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
    A lot of people are predicting that Strawther will get some minutes at the four. Of course I could be wrong, but I don’t see it. Cory was a small four and he went 225lbs. Strawther is only 205lbs.
    I don’t think he really needs to. I think that lack of depth down low was the issue last year, which shouldn’t be one this time around.

How do you see the depth down low changing? We lost ballo and pavel and gained Perry and Chet and Iím not sure if we even count him as a big? So depth down low to me seems to be the same. Obviously Chet is a huge plus but our depth at big seems like itís about the same to me. Do you see it differently?

Quote Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
    How do you see the depth down low changing? We lost ballo and pavel and gained Perry and Chet and I’m not sure if we even count him as a big? So depth down low to me seems to be the same. Obviously Chet is a huge plus but our depth at big seems like it’s about the same to me. Do you see it differently?
    I agree. I think we have great talent with those 2 but I was hoping for an experienced transfer big to come in just for stability. Someone who can rebound, play tough D and provide some solid minutes, doesn't need to be flashy.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
    How do you see the depth down low changing? We lost ballo and pavel and gained Perry and Chet and I’m not sure if we even count him as a big? So depth down low to me seems to be the same. Obviously Chet is a huge plus but our depth at big seems like it’s about the same to me. Do you see it differently?
    Watson and Timme were the only persons Few trusted down low. He played Gregg ahead of Pavel and Ballo, so nothing has changed on that particular front.

Chet is a big in my calculus. That improves the depth. Gregg being in the program for a while also theoretically adds depth.

Kaden Kerry is wild card but isn’t needed for me to conclude that the depth is better.

Defensively Chet adds a rim protector and with his height and wing span will gobble up rebounds. Watson plays great defense, offensively we all know what Timme can do and Chet should open up the spacing even more. With Chet at the high post or on the wing how will defenses handle all the options, zags will be just fine. If kaden and or Ben can add spot minutes we wii be okay.

One thing is pretty clear: in 5 months when the rankings come out, zags will have spend last season as a Regular season Number One and likely will spend the next year as a Number one. 2 years! Baylor got in the way of a perfect season. Now come part 2. Few needs a title and so do we. We do have all the pieces but Drew will need a big to help him. Let’s home Kaden will heal up and be that guy. Verdict is still out as to Chets big man characteristics will be. I have a feeling he’ll be usefull down low.
    I do think all these high end players are flicking to us , in large part, because of our consistent showing in the past several years but being a consistent No. 1 matters.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    I agree. I think we have great talent with those 2 but I was hoping for an experienced transfer big to come in just for stability. Someone who can rebound, play tough D and provide some solid minutes, doesn't need to be flashy.
    Seconded. Thatís exactly what I was hoping for too. Someone to spell Timme for 10ish min a game and not force Chet or Watson into the five spot which I donít think either of them are natural fits for.

OK, I will play. Love the talent, but freshman are freshman .

Nembhard
    Harris
    Strawther
    Chet
    Drew

Depth off the bench is insane. Minutes can be had by keeping the team fresh and run, run run. Going to be fun.

I thought Brenna Greene from KREM did a good job of addressing the starting rotation

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...c-f031092e6779

Quote Originally Posted by GoZag View Post
    I thought Brenna Greene from KREM did a good job of addressing the starting rotation

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...c-f031092e6779
    Not a bad article, but I donít see Chet getting 35 minutes as a freshman big. Foul trouble aside, 28-29 minutes is the number Iím thinking. Easier for a guard than a 7 footer to eat close to 40 minutes.

Especially with the up and down pace the Zags will play at.

Man the practices are going to be good. Personally I think Bolton and Hickman get more minutes than Brenna thinks, but would i be totally shocked if Julian starts or that Sallis gets more minutes than Hickman? No.

I do think Hickman is more ready from what I see in highlights and what I have read by experts than Sallis. I do think he or Bolton will start in the back court. Maybe both. Hickman and Nembhard would give Few something that worked so well last year--- multiple ball handlers that can set up scorers but who scored so well themselves. Because last years team was so impressive, I would imagine he would want this same blue print. Starting Hickman gives him this. Bolton gives him a ball handler who can score but not as good a handle as NH.

Our guard depth is Baylor like from last year. Our bigs arent too shabby either.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    ..... Our bigs arent too shabby either.
    Our bigs include the presumptive NCAA D1 POY as well the #1 recruit in the nation (and projected #1 pick in the '22 NBA draft). Not "too shabby" seems like an appropriate description to me.

ďTo be continued ÖĒ. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    óó-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

So with the new guidance from the NCAA, does that mean that Bolton most likely will NOT get a waiver to play next year? The guard playing time issue might have been solved.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    So with the new guidance from the NCAA, does that mean that Bolton most likely will NOT get a waiver to play next year? The guard playing time issue might have been solved.
    Bolton will be eligible next season.

The best players will play. With that said, I think the rotation will be nine deep this year with spot minutes for one of Perry/Gregg.

I personally don't think that Brianna is accurate in the minutes distribution when it comes to Timme, Chet, or Nembhard. I don't think any average much over 30 minutes and I'd really lean towards Chet being more in the 25 minute range. That would leave 20-25 minutes up front for Watson (I don't see any minutes at the wing for him). Hickman will play in tandem with Nembhard at times and take the backup minutes at the position which should easily get him in the 15-20 minute range. That leaves around 70-80 minutes for the remaining guys in Harris/Strawther/Bolton/Sallis to earn.

has anyone seen our tentative roster lately?
    I am hoping Perry will get well and will part of our big three rotation near the basket. I expect Chet to be in the paint a lot on defense, but less so on offense, not counting driving to the basket.

Seems like a good time to sign someone with potential but who won't be good enough for action until 2022 or 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I need to update this prediction now:

Nembhard / Hickman
    Harris / Bolton
    Strawther / Sallis / Arlauskas
    Holmgren / Watson / Gregg
    Timme / Gregg / Perry

Unbelievable roster. Few gets these guys pulling in the same direction; competing, rooting and sacrificing for one another....Zags run it back and win the last game this time. Wowser!!

In Morrisonís interview w Ayayi they spoke about how Few sets his rotation players before the season starts; if you arenít in it by end of summer / early Fall you pretty much have no shot at seeing regular playing time. This discussion was in relation to the summer Brock Ravet joined Zags and Ayayi had yet to break into the rotation so had to win that battle.

The competition this offseason will be fantastic and make all these guys better. Having said that, I hope Few considers making a firm commitment to going 9 deep this season and figures out how Leonard Hamilton does it.....or not; In Few We Trust!
    This looks quite plausible to me. Except Sallis. Just asking for your elaboration, not necessarily disagreeing ....
    Sallis at 175 lbs. and 6'5" - isn't this a bit small for Small Forward, I know he is quick enough and may be a worthwhile rebounder, but I have always pegged him as closer to a 2, a shooting guard. Do you say this because he doesn't have a killer 3 pt average? In high school he averaged 35%.
    Anyway not acting like I know, but hope some people will give their opinion. I realize our team is trying to play where all 5 guys play all the positions, however, this post chose to order players in traditional 1 through 5 stack.

I believe the starters will be Timme, Holmgren, Nembhard, Hickman, and the 5th spot will be between Strawther/ Harris/ and Sallis. Watson to back up Timme. Gregg to back up Holmgren, and Bolton to get his minutes. Perry has potential but may be the odd man out this year, but will be a shot blocking machine before he leaves. I hope Watson gets in better shape for next year. He did ok for his role last year, but I feel he would have been a lot better if he was in better shape. If he is in better shape he may back up both Timme and Chet, and take Gregg's time, and put Gregg on the bench next to Perry. That is just my opinion, which doesn't mean anything. Perry and Gregg are both loaded with talent, but there are only so many minutes to go around.If Bolton is not eligible to play next year it would open up his minutes for Harris, and Sallis.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    I believe the starters will be Timme, Holmgren, Nembhard, Hickman, and the 5th spot will be between Strawther/ Harris/ and Sallis. Watson to back up Timme. Gregg to back up Holmgren, and Bolton to get his minutes. Perry has potential but may be the odd man out this year, but will be a shot blocking machine before he leaves. I hope Watson gets in better shape for next year. He did ok for his role last year, but I feel he would have been a lot better if he was in better shape. If he is in better shape he may back up both Timme and Chet, and take Gregg's time, and put Gregg on the bench next to Perry. That is just my opinion, which doesn't mean anything. Perry and Gregg are both loaded with talent, but there are only so many minutes to go around.If Bolton is not eligible to play next year it would open up his minutes for Harris, and Sallis.
    Agree completely.

From what i saw of Hickman's HS tapes, along with nearly 2 hrs of film at Iverson Clsssic, Nolan is a step above most kids his age, and even amongst many members of next years team.

We have a great roster, filled with terrific talent, but Nolan is more college-ready than even these current college kids/guards.

I do think Strawther is Mr. Buckets as well. He's going to be a major player for us.

I think Dom will as well, yet Nolan Hickman would have been Top 5 or 6 rated if he was a bit more selfish and "high flying" (although capable).

He has an excellent feel, and innate vision, along with great pace. He's a unique player just like Suggs, just in a different way.

I feel Hickman is a guaranteed starter by Game 4 at the latest.

Starters:
    Hickman
    Nemby
    Chet
    Anton
    Timme

I think Strawther or Bolton have a shot at starting but Few gives precedence to guys like Anton imo. Strawther would be my choice at the wing I just don't know if we will see him start early on.
    America's Team!

Sallis starts. Strawther might, too. That’s my projection, aside from the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Starters:
    Hickman
    Nemby
    Chet
    Anton
    Timme

I think Strawther or Bolton have a shot at starting but Few gives precedence to guys like Anton imo. Strawther would be my choice at the wing I just don't know if we will see him start early on.
    Unless Watson improves drasteclly on his 3 point shot. If he doesn't improve on that outside shot he is not going to start. Strawther, Harris, of Sallis would start at that wing position. If Sallis doesn't show he can hit the 3 then that would eliminate him and it Would be Strawther or Harris. You need to surround Timme with 3 point shooters, so he will have room inside to show off his Kevin McHale type foot work.