Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2021-22 Projected Starting Rotation Guesses

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I donít think Baylorís age and toughness were the primary reasons they beat Zags so handily, it was their aggressiveness; they played pissed off about having to hear how great Gonzaga was all year, came out swinging and Zags were wobbled from the start. Zags were plenty tough, just didnít match Baylorís initial burst of intensity and never recovered. I also think the short rotation + emotionally draining victory over UCLA left Zags depleted mentally and physically.
    Age plus toughness plus physicality plus extreme desire to jump on us combined with emotional win was the equation in my book
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Age plus toughness plus physicality plus extreme desire to jump on us combined with emotional win was the equation in my book
    And. just perhaps, an officiating crew that allowed Baylor to be handsy and penalized Suggs for being over zealous.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

tough and older--- > aggressiveness....and a dominant win. We weren't exactly babes in the woods. I didn't see why we didn't step up and match that. Of concern is that we'll see that Baylor type play again and we'll see it with a young team again. Of course, it might just be me.......

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    And. just perhaps, an officiating crew that allowed Baylor to be handsy and penalized Suggs for being over zealous.
    Naaa they took us out behind the wood shed and we had no response IMO
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

It was a number of things that went wrong that game for us. The way the game was called was not to our advantage but was only one factor. Baylor starting out, what, 5-5 from behind the three point line was another hurdle. The way the ball bounced off the rim allowing them to get some extra offensive rebounds was another. If some of these things go differently who knows how the game wouldíve gone. Itís not a science experiment where you can change one thing me play the exact same game and see what happens over and over to get results. That game they took us behind the wood shed, but Iíd have loved to see a 5 or 7 game series. I donít think Baylor was the better team last year and kenpom supports that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
    It was a number of things that went wrong that game for us. The way the game was called was not to our advantage but was only one factor. Baylor starting out, what, 5-5 from behind the three point line was another hurdle. The way the ball bounced off the rim allowing them to get some extra offensive rebounds was another. If some of these things go differently who knows how the game would’ve gone. It’s not a science experiment where you can change one thing me play the exact same game and see what happens over and over to get results. That game they took us behind the wood shed, but I’d have loved to see a 5 or 7 game series. I don’t think Baylor was the better team last year and kenpom supports that idea.
    Baylor was clearly the better team. The game was over 7 minutes in.

That game they definitely played better.

Thank you, enough with the whining. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
    The way the ball bounced off the rim allowing them to get some extra offensive rebounds was another. If some of these things go differently who knows how the game wouldíve gone.
    The way I remember it (and I won't go back and look), Baylor got those offensive rebounds because we didn't put bodies on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Thank you, enough with the whining. Move on.
    I, for one, am not whining. The game is over and I am willing to forget it and move on. HOWEVER...when OTHERS bring the game up, I am allowed to make my opinions known.

Don't want to read them? Quit bringing the game up. It's a really simple concept.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Yeah, I wasnít whining either. I guess my point is that there are a whole lot of things that went into deciding who won or lost that game and I donít think itís fair to GU to use that one game to make definitive conclusions about the team. Itís too small of a sample size. Just like on the flip side I donít think our game against USC told us too much. We got off to a good start and took them out early but if 100 games were played against USC they all wouldnít end up so lopsided.

So, any chance this post can get back on the tracks or do we need to continually turn the subjects into something totally different??

I think we'll see Chet at the 3 and maybe sometimes at the 2. Yes he's 7' but that's a rigid way of thinking. He's a unicorn because of his potential for perimeter play and what it could mean at the next level. GU is pretty stacked inside, so showcase what the NBA scouts are interested in which isn't another 7', skinny, back-to-the-basket, post player.

1 Nembhard
    2 Sallis
    3 Chet
    4 Watson
    5 Timme

I think Sallis gets the start because of his ranking coming in but the minutes will go to who's playing the best or has the best match-up between Hunter/Julian/Dom/Rasir.

If Hickman comes here, it will show he's not as interested in the one-and-done path as some as he appears to be a true 1 and would be best behind Nembhard 1st year.

Top to bottom, the talent is ridiculous.

AGainst Houston, I said they looked like an NBA team playing a great college team. Just far bigger, faster, higher, all that.

Then they did the same to us.

The way to beat Baylor was to make them rely on jump shots that wouldn't fall and get rebounds. Their jump shots mostly fell and when they didn't, we couldn't rebound with them. that was apparent in the first 90 seconds.

Baylor is not getting worse next year. But we are more than keeping pace.

It could be a situation where for the next 2-3 years these two teams are dominant. It's kind of setting up that way. Their recruiting class is amazing, too.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    I think we'll see Chet at the 3 and maybe sometimes at the 2. Yes he's 7' but that's a rigid way of thinking. He's a unicorn because of his potential for perimeter play and what it could mean at the next level. GU is pretty stacked inside, so showcase what the NBA scouts are interested in which isn't another 7', skinny, back-to-the-basket, post player.

1 Nembhard
    2 Sallis
    3 Chet
    4 Watson
    5 Timme

I think Sallis gets the start because of his ranking coming in but the minutes will go to who's playing the best or has the best match-up between Hunter/Julian/Dom/Rasir.

If Hickman comes here, it will show he's not as interested in the one-and-done path as some as he appears to be a true 1 and would be best behind Nembhard 1st year.

Top to bottom, the talent is ridiculous.
    My guess is:
    Nembhard
    Sallis
    Strawther
    Holmgren
    Timme

Strawther and Holmgren likely Zags best 3pt shooters. Playing them together spaces floor for Timme to go to work. Drew Timme is unstoppable in the post if he has room to operate and isnít double teamed. This lineup allows Few to have a veteran big coming off the bench in Watson. If Iím Watson, Iíd be shooting 500 threes a day all summer because he needs to be a threat from deep to play alongside Timme.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Nembhard, Holmgren, and Timme, plus whenever you want to roll with. Watson is my choice for first big off the bench. Maybe Sallies starts and Dom is the first guard off the bench at the 2, then slides down to the one to give Nembhard his breathers. Strawther (whom I might have to nickname Strawberry if autocorrect keeps this up...) looks like the best option at the 3, unless Few wants to play Watson there; he doesn’t stretch the floor much (at least not yet) so I see him plugging in at the 4 more than anything. Chet seems to big a good shooter, so maybe you flip-flop roles between Watson and Chet on offense. Watson will likely have a better feel for the pick and roll that they like to do at the 4 and 5 spots.

It’s pretty silly how talented this lineup is going to be. Lack of experience is the biggest wildcard for me.

Nembhard
    Sallis
    Strawther
    Holmgren
    Timme

This is thee one I’m betting on. Flex nailed it

Nembhard
    Bolton
    Strawther
    Holmgren
    Timme

Sallis is more raw than some wish.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Nembhard
    Sallis
    Strawther
    Holmgren
    Timme

This is thee one I’m betting on. Flex nailed it
    Watson is the first one off the bench in the front court. Either Bolton or Nolan in the backcourt, depending on who impresses the most. At times, we’ll go three guards, so lots of minutes available for Nolan/Bolton.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Nembhard
    Bolton
    Strawther
    Holmgren
    Timme

Sallis is more raw than some wish.
    He’s not Suggs and definitely not raw. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t start...first world problem!
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    He’s not Suggs and definitely not raw. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t start...first world problem!
    Has elite attributes (athleticism & length), yet definitely lacks polish to his game. Excellent finisher yet mostly overwhelmed lessor & less atheltic competition at this stage.

A ton to work with, super high ceiling, yet still learning the game of bball when playing with top tier talent.

I do think Harris is ahead of him given Dom's ability to shoot from perimeter. Both players struggle with decision-making on the court yet both will grow into terrific players down the road.

Very similar players and styles, altho Sallis is longer & bit bigger leaper.

I'd be surprised of Sallis starts, esp IF Hickman chooses us, yet after our coaches get to him for a bit, he'll play big mins.

FWIW, Rivals dropped him 26 spots on their final rankings and lost a star (4 star now). Meanwhile, Hickman jumped into the Top 20 and gained a star (5 star now).

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....class-released

You are right. Hickman could start over Sallis. In either case, I do expect a three guard lineup almost as often as a 2 guard lineup. I expect three guards to get a lot of minutes, with a fourth guard getting 12-15 minutes a game.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    My guess is:
    Nembhard
    Sallis
    Strawther
    Holmgren
    Timme

Strawther and Holmgren likely Zags best 3pt shooters. Playing them together spaces floor for Timme to go to work. Drew Timme is unstoppable in the post if he has room to operate and isnít double teamed. This lineup allows Few to have a veteran big coming off the bench in Watson. If Iím Watson, Iíd be shooting 500 threes a day all summer because he needs to be a threat from deep to play alongside Timme.
    Good call Flex. Your lineup is my 1B starting lineup, but I'm betting we see Bolton over Strawther in a lineup that looks like this:

Nembhard
    Bolton
    Sallis
    Holmgren
    Timme

But I could see it go either way.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Nembhard
    Hickman
    Strawther (Coach Few extremely high on him in post season interviews)
    Chet
    Timme

Watson 1st off bench
    Sallis, Harris, and Bolton combine to relieve 1 thru 3 (Sallis gravitated toward ths wing position as well).

IF Hickman commits, I will be curious to see if Bolton maintains his commitment. I hope he does and up for the stiff competition.

Watson has much much work to do in order to be a serious clock eater.