Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Baylor Post Game thoughts and analysis

Thumbs up Gonzaga vs Baylor Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 70
    Baylor 86

Congratulations to Baylor and Coach Scot Drew for a completely dominating vicotry over Gonzaga. The game was NEVER close from beginning to end. The Zags were unable to do anything offensively due to the pressure defense of Butler. I new how good Baylor was on defense, and how tough they are. I was anxious to see how Gonzaga would respond against a tough Defense like Baylor plays. Well I found out. But to me it wasn't having a poor offense that caused defeat for Gonzaga. It was lack of toughness. Baylor was clearly the tougher team. They dominated us on the board as they got 16 offensive rebounds vs us, yes 16. And they dominated us in steals,

While our offense was good, we shot 51% and Baylor shot only 44%. Well you might aske, IF we shot better than them how did we lose by 16? One reason was they made 10 threes and we made 5. There is ten points right there. The other reason is that Baylor shot the ball 67 times making 30. Gonzaga only made only 25 shots. That was a result of offensive boards and steals. Gonzaga only made 5 out of 17 from the 3 point line. Our shooters were not only, partly due to good defense by Baylor but also partly due to the fact that we did not shoot well from the 3 point line.

I thought Suggs was awesome as usual scoring 22 points. IMO he was the only Zag who played up to his pot

ential. Not sure why that happened. But it showed me who is going to be a good NBA player at this point of their career. Baylor plays the kind of defense players will see in the NBA.

I want to say a big thanks to Gonzaga for a great year and a great tournament with many, many great memories that will last me a life time. There is no shame in finishing 2nd. Yes it was not a good way to end the season. But let's not forget all the good memories this team gave us.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Love you, bornie...what do we do now until November?

The pain absolutely sucks right now, but how could I forget the amount of joy this team has brought me this year? I can't. Such a tough way to end the season-- and I know the guys feel worse than me, but 31-1 is a season to be proud of.

Really going to miss Suggs. He continued to show tonight that the hype was real. He definitely improved his stock this March, while unfortunately some hurt their stock a little.

Hopefully Timme, Nembhard return, while we get Chet and Walker on board along with Hunter. I think Julian will make a huge jump next season.

The most annoying part will be the national media who will quickly jump to call this team frauds and look at GU as the "always the bridesmaid" team. I for one wont be paying attention to the national media for a few weeks.

Congrats to Joel and Corey on fantastic careers. Thanks Aaron for coming on board for a season and providing a spark.

Once a Zag, always a zag.

The most annoying part will be the national media who will quickly jump to call this team frauds and look at GU as the "always the bridesmaid" team.
    About the only response I can think of (which doesn't use a barrage of in your face expletives) is "that's intellectual laziness of the highest order...you must be a Kentucky fan."

Press Conference: Gonzaga vs. Baylor Postgame - 2021 NCAA Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 70
    Baylor 86

Congratulations to Baylor and Coach Scot Drew for a completely dominating vicotry over Gonzaga. The game was NEVER close from beginning to end. The Zags were unable to do anything offensively due to the pressure defense of Butler. I new how good Baylor was on defense, and how tough they are. I was anxious to see how Gonzaga would respond against a tough Defense like Baylor plays. Well I found out. But to me it wasn't having a poor offense that caused defeat for Gonzaga. It was lack of toughness. Baylor was clearly the tougher team. They dominated us on the board as they got 16 offensive rebounds vs us, yes 16. And they dominated us in steals,

While our offense was good, we shot 51% and Baylor shot only 44%. Well you might aske, IF we shot better than them how did we lose by 16? One reason was they made 10 threes and we made 5. There is ten points right there. The other reason is that Baylor shot the ball 67 times making 30. Gonzaga only made only 25 shots. That was a result of offensive boards and steals. Gonzaga only made 5 out of 17 from the 3 point line. Our shooters were not only, partly due to good defense by Baylor but also partly due to the fact that we did not shoot well from the 3 point line.

I thought Suggs was awesome as usual scoring 22 points. IMO he was the only Zag who played up to his pot

ential. Not sure why that happened. But it showed me who is going to be a good NBA player at this point of their career. Baylor plays the kind of defense players will see in the NBA.

I want to say a big thanks to Gonzaga for a great year and a great tournament with many, many great memories that will last me a life time. There is no shame in finishing 2nd. Yes it was not a good way to end the season. But let's not forget all the good memories this team gave us.

Go Zags!
    All your observations are spot on, Reborn. Except they made 15 more points from their three point shooting.

I haven't see media call GU Frauds..... that would be stupid to the nth! We got knock off our game early and Baylor was superior this night.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I haven't see media call GU Frauds..... that would be stupid to the nth! We got knock off our game early and Baylor was superior this night.
    I trust you on that.. i just wont be surprised if it is coming.. especially from some of the knuckleheads who watch CBB one month a year.

We weren’t ready. Was it coaching or hangover from UCLA? Few stopped the bleeding for awhile with the zone but it didn't last

I thought we would have an advantage with the Timme matchup and he got dominated. 12 points, 5 TO, 4 fouls and gave up a ton of offensive rebounds to smaller Baylor players. Worst I’ve seen him look all year. Feel bad for him since he has been so consistent for us.

Kispert never looked comfortable. You could see his confidence was flagging in the second half when he rose up for the 3, bailed out, came down and then double dribbled. Then passed up the next 3 as well. He can't be happy with his last 3 games of a great career shooting 17-44 (38%) and 7-25 (28%) from 3. We weren't going to beat BU without the old Corey matching their 3 point shooting.

In the end, Baylor hit the court like they were shot out of a cannon and we had the same look in our eyes that USC did when we blitzed them in the S16. Sucks for us but Baylor was much, much better tonight..

At least nobody is b*tching about the refs this time.

ZZ

I honestly feel like it was covid vs steroids. Nothing looked right. For real...

I second that. We came out flat and Baylor brought the energy. The lack of rebounds and the Bears three point shooting crushed us. Just tough to swallow because this was our best shot so far of winning a championship. Personally didn’t care if we were undefeated or not. So the pinnacle moment still waits for another year and another great GU team.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I trust you on that.. i just wont be surprised if it is coming.. especially from some of the knuckleheads who watch CBB one month a year.
    Skip Bayless will be on fire tomorrow. I dislike that guy.

If you go looking for the haters, they'll be there for you, so make a decision whether you want to expose yourself to that. Tonight was all about mental preparedness for the game. We looked like a team that had no business being called a generational team about to be compared to the greatest teams of all time. Against a really great Baylor team, the entire team had to put together stops and not turn the ball over, and we were incapable of both. You can't point to one player that disappointed because honestly it was all of them. Maybe it was Baylor's defense, but the GU team i watched tonight wasn't passing, playing, or doing anything that i was used to seeing all season. Credit Baylor I guess.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

tho blown away by this loss, my takeaways are:

justice - they were the better team tonight, can't blame it on luck or officiating

The East Coast will use this as ammo that you can't win a nat'l championship unless you are in a power conference, and that too much of zags great stats come from playing in the WCC

Hope that chet holmgren and other top recruits will choose GU because they think they can play for a Nat'l Championship team from a mid-major conference

Wish that Jalen would tell Chet come to the zags, I will stay another year, and we will grab a Natty together next season

Hope I am wrong in thinking Suggs started out with too much hero ball on his mind. Even if that is wrong, i do think he still has a lot to learn about keeping other options in mind when crashing into 2 or 3 defenders deep in the paint, from point guards like NWGoss, delavedova, and john stockton as examples of how to remain careful and crafty when driving into the paint

above all, i am a zag fan in my blood and take losses like this as part of life, many great teams lost two national championships while on their way to being great programs

Baylor obviously can shoot the ball....the led college basketball in 3pt %. They are super aggressive and quick....they also like to use their hands ALOT while playing defense...and they like to camp out in the lane for periods longer than 3 seconds. We got bullied by them pretty good....a style that isnt played in the Wcc. WE weren't prepared for the physicality....cause we dont play that kind of ball. I dont blame BAYLOR either...thats the kind of ball played in their conference....and if the refs dont call it, why stop? As it was they had quite a few fouls in the first half. With the exception of Suggs....the rest dont like the contact that agressive. I did feel Few should have gone to zone much earlier. It was the only way to equalize the unequal quickness. Timme is seriously skilled offensively but, hes not a bruiser on defense. I hope BALLO keeps working on his game cause we could use his strength in there....that stuff doesnt happen to a Cavalry or Batista or ....we need a bit more bulk next year. Obviously, we had what it took to nearly win them all. As a fan I appreciate all the hard work and the darn near perfect season. Can't wait for next season...and I "hope" SUGGS stays another season I just loved his competitive spirit...to go from high school to the #1 team...and to do as well ad he did was impressive. THE GUY IS A WARRIOR...and he will be a Stud at the next level too.

Really impressed with Nemby too...to walk in at the last minute and perform the way he did...and the Ball radar guy( joel)had a GREAT season....31 wins is a ####load of wins...that and a bunch of classy folks is what ZAG BB ball is all about....My biggest regret? Waiting till next Nov...to see them play again. Love watching them play

Baylor was Clubber Lang to Gonzaga’s Rocky; hopefully we see a rematch in the tourney next year.

That result was 75% Baylor playing playing to their considerable potential at biggest moment of the season while Zags fell well short of their best performance and at least 25% Baylor having a better rotation (8 deep) and being able to continually sub in and out to keep guys fresh. They have a legit backup 5 who is arguably better than the starter, a do everything backup guard/forward in Meyer and a backup little in Flagler who would definitely start for most D1 squads while Zags had just Watson and Cook as backups, neither of whom played very well nor ever seemed to really earn Few’s trust as their mpg were up and down all season.

Is it just me or did Zags, except Timme, seem a little in awe of their teammate Suggs and played like they were expecting him to save them all game long? Just seemed like none of Kispert, Ayayi, Nembhard ever stamped their name on the game and shrunk in the moment.

Zags needed more dudes.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Baylor had more Jimmys, more Joes, and more Vitals.

Great analysis by all above.
    I would just add that the Zags got absolutely clobbered in the first 10 minutes of the game and were down19 ten minutes in.
    They won by 16 in the end. That means for 30 minutes after the barrage, Gonzaga beat them by 3 points in the last 3/4 of the game. From that perspective our guys didn’t fold, gave it their best and played Gonzaga basketball 3/4 of a game.
    The Zags came out guns blazing like that a couple of times against good teams and finished similarly.
    No question Baylor was dominant on the boards, shot 3’s lights out and manhandled Gonzaga in those opening 10 minutes.
    The rebounds tell much of the story. A 6’6” Vital led with 11 boards. Our big had 5 and Nembhard 4. Again Kispert struggled from 3. 38-22 boards ouch!
    My takeaway is that UCLA game was costly in terms of fatigue. Our guys came out lacking energy and fire until they warmed up. Baylor was composed, confident and put on a stunning show. Hats off to their resolve. Congrats to a solid Baylor Team. On a different night I believe Gonzaga can beat them.
    Losing by 16 is not good but not embarrassing. This is still a great team and we owe them tremendous thanks keeping us happy in a lockdown pandemic year.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Baylor was aggressive and physical. I share others' concerns about a bunch of fouls that were missed by the refs and camping out in the paint. While that might not have changed the outcome, it certainly changed the dynamic throughout the game.

What really hurt Gonzaga was a barrage of offensive rebounds by Baylor the first eight to ten minutes. Overall, Baylor attempted 18 more shots than we did, largely because of those offensive rebounds, and the percentage was even more dramatic in the first half.

My biggest concern was our lack of a second, talented big man who could at least rim protect, rebound and contribute with 8-10 points per game. We didn't have that this year. If Timme stays and Chet Holmgren arrives, our team dynamic will change.

That being said, couldn't be prouder of this team, these players, coaches, staff and fans.

couldn't handle the screen roll. Zags D has been addressing that all year, but Baylor and Drew's plan went after more than Timme in that, they went after Nemby on the switch down low, not to post up, but with Vital on the o glass. great move by coach Drew, and while Nemby won those box out battles all year against bigger players, including in every game of this tournament, not to be last night. So when Baylor got the hot start it was made MUCH worse when Zags couldn't board the Bears' early misses and get out in transition, and instead Baylor shot until they scored.

Few was forced to change his rotations, no bench players entered until like under the 12 minute mark I think, would have to go back and check; usually first sub is somewhere after the under 16 for Timme. But by the time any Zag bench found the floor, the decisive Mike Tyson like blows had been dealt already

defending the screen roll with the starting 5 was an issue all year, but Baylor made it decisive from the opening bell

Zags tried 3 different zones I counted, 2-3, 3-2, and 1 3 1 trap, none of them really worked.

Interesting analysis about the offensive rebounding matchup with Nembard off the switches that makes a ton of sense. In retrospect we probably should have deviated from our normal rotation and brought in Watson for Suggs when Jalen picked up the quick two fouls to combat that issue rather than Aaron Cook like usual. On a Watson related offensive note I really hope he continues to work on his perimeter game and finds his mojo- he was far too good of a face up shooter at G-Prep out to three to be a 3-20 guy like he was this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Interesting analysis about the offensive rebounding matchup with Nembard off the switches that makes a ton of sense. In retrospect we probably should have deviated from our normal rotation and brought in Watson for Suggs when Jalen picked up the quick two fouls to combat that issue rather than Aaron Cook like usual. On a Watson related offensive note I really hope he continues to work on his perimeter game and finds his mojo- he was far too good of a face up shooter at G-Prep out to three to be a 3-20 guy like he was this year.
    Cook did enter early, my bad, the rotation change with Suggs' early 2, then with AW later. so focused on the screen roll d thing....

hope you're right about Anton, thought he improved over the course of the year a lot

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    Cook did enter early, my bad, the rotation change with Suggs' early 2, then with AW later. so focused on the screen roll d thing....

hope you're right about Anton, thought he improved over the course of the year a lot
    I expect a major leap from Anton next year. You can see it coming, he'll be a beast with six months of weight room work and time to work on that outside shot. We've seen many Zags reach another level from their sophomore to junior year.

One word so the emphasis is not diluted: Rebounding.

Not an any given player issue, but more of a roster issue. The domination early was largely on the glass. Second chance points were mostly kick out threes (giving lots of space to top tier bombers)

Looking ahead, the team doesn't necessarily need more wingspan, they just need dudes with more "sand in the bucket" girth that will go get it. I always feared that Ayayi didn't have the body mass to block out the big boys, yet we were so dependent upon his inherently good rebounding ability. Baylor interior men "rag dolled" him through no fault of his own. Simple physics.

Joel's rebounding skills really shine in transition because his foot speed gets him into position. When the elite defending ability of the Baylor guards (and their ball handling skills to deny forced turnovers) took away the Zag transition game, it exposed the lack of Zag rebounding in the half court game.

Every opposing coach this season made it clear in pregame press conferences that taking away the Zag transition game was priority one. The Baylor guards were the only group that did it for a full forty minutes and they did it rather easily.
    Last edited by MickMick; 04-06-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I expect a major leap from Anton next year. You can see it coming, he'll be a beast with six months of weight room work and time to work on that outside shot. We've seen many Zags reach another level from their sophomore to junior year.
    I sure hope so. Fingers crossed. It's up to Anton, how much work he wants to put in the off season. The weight room, his mid range shot (which he was open for many times, but evidently had little confidence to take) and taking it strongly to the rack when low, etc. Anton showed flashes of brilliance on defense, but I think we expected more production on the offensive end. Hope the kid has the desire and willing to put in the work.