Thread: Nembhard Question

Default Nembhard Question

Ok - Question for those of you who know basketball well. I wanted to figure out how the UCLA player was so wide open to put back that layup with a couple of seconds left. Turns out that Nembhard was in the corner guarding his guy, and when the shot went up he just stood there, and did not go to the basket, so that side of the basket was wide open.

Is he is not supposed to leave his guy alone in the corner for an open shot if it gets passed out, or should he have gone to the basket, or is it not black and white.

Thanks

Fonebone

When you are only up 2 and UCLA has been so hot, I think Andrew made the right call. I think it was Jacquez in the corner if I remember right and he had just knocked a 3 down. I’m not sure I would have left him either to help off.

I think you want to deny the 3 in that scenario, given that a two pointer only ties the game. It would have been tragic for him to help off on the post player/driver and have his guy hit a 3. Suggs did it earlier in the game and his guy hit a 3 in a crucial moment in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonebone View Post
    Ok - Question for those of you who know basketball well. I wanted to figure out how the UCLA player was so wide open to put back that layup with a couple of seconds left. Turns out that Nembhard was in the corner guarding his guy, and when the shot went up he just stood there, and did not go to the basket, so that side of the basket was wide open.

Is he is not supposed to leave his guy alone in the corner for an open shot if it gets passed out, or should he have gone to the basket, or is it not black and white.

Thanks

Fonebone
    The Johnny Juzang put back? Kispert should of put a body on him. How was Nembhard suppose to get there?

Quote Originally Posted by Fonebone View Post

Thanks

Fonebone
    Nembhard did that on purpose, he wanted to see Suggs hit that shot. if he would have blocked Juzang out and gotten that rebound it would just have been an ordinary win. By letting Juzang score, and Suggs hit that shot Nembhard became a part of history. That will be replayed over and over a million times. How do you like that line ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Nembhard did that on purpose, he wanted to see Suggs hit that shot. if he would have blocked Juzang out and gotten that rebound it would just have been an ordinary win. By letting Juzang score, and Suggs hit that shot Nembhard became a part of history. That will be replayed over and over a million times. How do you like that line ?
    Stragery

Quote Originally Posted by jayray View Post
    The Johnny Juzang put back? Kispert should of put a body on him. How was Nembhard suppose to get there?
    this

Kispert man to box out
    Nembhard responsible for corner man
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Nemby makes few mistakes. This isn’t one. Smartest player on the team.

yep, kispert's box out responsibility. juzang just beat him.

Got to take the 3 out of the equation in that scenario. A couple of minutes before that Suggs collapsed into the paint, the ball was kicked out to a wide open Juzang for an easy 3. Nemby doesn't make many mistakes (neither does Jalen for that matter), and that wasn't one. I actually thought Juzang was going to put up a 3 at the end to go for the win. Glad he didn't.

Go ZAGS

The easiest guy to block out is the shooter, by the guy guarding the shooter.

Thanks. That makes total sense. This is one of the things I love about this board. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kispert was right there. We didn't block out well. The ball bounced in a way where I thought we lost it a bit.
    America's Team!

That being said, Suggs had been covering Juzang most of the 2nd half, and Juzang managed to get Kispert to switch onto him on their last possession, at which point I thought Juzang was going to win the game by hitting a 3. Corey pressured him enough to force him into a tough miss from 2, which Juzang was lucky to get two tries at.

Yeah, Corey didn't box out, one of several costly and uncharacteristic mistakes we made last night.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Yeah, Corey didn't box out, one of several costly and uncharacteristic mistakes we made last night.
    I respectively disagree to a "degree." Corey did a terrific job challenging the shot. No question he got caught up in the moment watching the shot. A defender should always anticipate a miss and start his box out. He didn't. (Notice Timme immediately went to a box out) However, once that shot left Juzang's hands, Nebhard had no reason to guard the guy in the corner. He too should have been looking for a possible rebound and boxed out Juzang. He didn't. Look at the video. Nebhard was no more than five or six feet away from the action and in great position to box out Juzang better than Kispert. The rest is history.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Fact is: At this point, a shower curtain has too many moves for Corey to guard. He's just never, ever, demonstrated the kind of anticipation/quickness needed to play effective defense. Check out the number of scores UCLA put up and see how many times Corey was "defending" the scorer. The senior captain's value to tomorrow's final result hinges on the number of points he permits defending vs the points he scores. Mired in a 3 pt shooting slump for the entire month of March, the only question remaining is how many points the Baylor guards are going to ring up despite Corey's earnest, but ineffectual defense? Will the mid-season Corey emerge from his shooting woes? Solution: Take it out of his hands. Let Ayayi, Nembhard, Suggs and, perhaps, Cook take the treys Corey has been missing, and let him focus on driving to the hoop and scoring as he did quite well (except for left hand layups) vs the Bruins.

Pro scouts have already evaluated Corey's defensive shortcomings vs his scoring ability. They know the score. If he can't guard anyone, regardless of position, at the current level, how in the world can he be expected to do it at the next? Not concerned about that now. Concern is with his current lack of effective three point shooting vs his demonstrated defensive liabilities. Baylor, to win, is going to need a lot more than the 30 points from whoever Corey's guarding. How great would it be, in the last game of his collegiate career, if he could go off for five treys on the way to scoring twenty-something points as the Zags make history. No mistake. Kispert's performance, one way or another, will be the difference in the final score.

It’s not that Corey didn’t box out, he had a late contest and was out of position. Late contest helped force the miss, but if the ball bounced a certain way he was going to have no shot at the rebound, which it did. Ask the San Antonio Spurs in 2013 about losing shooters during a late game rebound. I am happy Nembhard didn’t over help on the drive but staying home effectively took him out of the rebound. No chance for him to get there even if he wanted to.

Earlier contest from Corey and he’s recovered a bit to put a body on the shooter. A lot to ask on defense there. I’m just glad there wasn’t a 3 attempted and sometimes the ball bounces in a way that doesn’t do you any favors, which is what happened here.

All you’re yelling on defense that last possession is “no threes”, a classic way to get a three is off a miss when defenders leave there man to crash the glass. Great discipline by Andrew.

and Corey didn't spaz out and foul, giving up a possible and 1 for the win, credit there, altho I've seen the hard foul given on purpose there to prevent the shot attempt and force the FTs, but there's risk to that strategy too....

Corey did a good job not fouling, but if we would have gone straight up instead of flying by, he would have been in position to get a body between Juzang and the rebound. I thought Corey also was late getting out to the 3pt shooter with about a minute left in OT and up by 5. Shouldn't have been that far away from the shooter at that point. That being said, its a luxury to have a team that can overcome some of those deficiencies.

Level of calculated risk too. Worst case it is double OT... just don't foul and don't allow a 3. Foul could lead to a missed backend FT that gets put back and you lose. Better to take all winning scenarios off the table for them.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death