Thread: Few tried to call timeout!

Default Few tried to call timeout!

Well, I am stunned. I've been maintaining that Few doesn't like to call timeouts in these situations, letting the players handle it themselves (see: Meech v W Kentucky), but it turns out that he briefly tried to call a timeout and the refs weren't watching! Wow.

https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/s...53134558150657

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Well, I am stunned. I've been maintaining that Few doesn't like to call timeouts in these situations, letting the players handle it themselves (see: Meech v W Kentucky), but it turns out that he briefly tried to call a timeout and the refs weren't watching! Wow.

I don’t think so. It looked to me like he was waving him forward.

Wow, he said in the post game he didn’t want a timeout but he clearly called for one.

Fewie mentioned in the press conference that he normally won't call a timeout in those situations, but he was worried they wouldn't get the ball quickly out of the basket, and inbounded. He said he "almost" called a TO.

Nice UCLA was out of TO

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Nice UCLA was out of TO
    Not a good move anyway. Give Zags four all American guards three seconds to set a play. Otoh, been there.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Fewie mentioned in the press conference that he normally won't call a timeout in those situations, but he was worried they wouldn't get the ball quickly out of the basket, and inbounded. He said he "almost" called a TO.
    That is exactly what he said. Thanks for pointing that out. I get exasperated with posters who translate a simple gesture or expression into a dramatic interpretation of a coach's or player's mindset. There is so much info out there from video interviews or reporter interviews. No excuse for speculation.

Few explained that the team practiced late game situations more this year than any prior year. He added that his default in situations like last night is to let the players go with the flow because he thinks they are more likely to get off a good shot than if he calls a time out, the defense gets set, the ball has to be inbounded with someone harassing the in-bounder, etc.

Some of us are going to micro analyze this game and find out exactly how much had to go RIGHT for us to even have a chance with that shot in the end. So much did that it will keep us busy for a while. What an epic game.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    I get exasperated with posters who translate a simple gesture or expression into a dramatic interpretation of a coach's or player's mindset.
    I don't know what you mean by that. It is very clear in the video that Mark is holding up the sign for a timeout for almost a full second before he changes to waving them team forward.

I don't know what you mean by that. It is very clear in the video that Mark is holding up the sign for a timeout for almost a full second before he changes to waving them team forward.
    I’ve watched it multiple times and I don’t see it very clearly like you do. It’s from behind him a little out of focus. I’m sure there’s another view somewhere that would be more definitive.

Few stated in the presser he was about to call time out if they couldn't get the ball out of the net quickly. Fortunately it came to Kispert quickly before UCLA could regroup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    That is exactly what he said. Thanks for pointing that out. I get exasperated with posters who translate a simple gesture or expression into a dramatic interpretation of a coach's or player's mindset. There is so much info out there from video interviews or reporter interviews. No excuse for speculation.

Few explained that the team practiced late game situations more this year than any prior year. He added that his default in situations like last night is to let the players go with the flow because he thinks they are more likely to get off a good shot than if he calls a time out, the defense gets set, the ball has to be inbounded with someone harassing the in-bounder, etc.
    Good post.

I will just note that if he did draw up a play it would be, "Suggs, curl around these three picks, dribble five times at max speed, keep your eye on the clock, and pop a jump shot from wherever you're standing."

The play worked. He didn't need the picks.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

It was a well executed inbounds. Few wasn’t sure if it was going to be successful so he was going to call the timeout but once it was inbounded and in Suggs’ hands he let it go.
    Go Zags!!!

I have seen a number of games that a coach has called a rime out and negated a basket by his team..... fortunately for Zag Nation that did not happen in this case ....in any case.....the game would have been tied..... leading to another overtime... being is....