Thread: Stanford vs Arizona

Default Stanford vs Arizona

What say you Zag fans?
    Which team wins the championship?

I’ll start it off.

First I think both Williams and McDonald are gonna bring everything they got to this game. Both are gonna peak. McDonald is already on that trajectory, while KW has been inconsistent. 4 points a game, 15 points...2 points, 16 points. Not today.

Prediction:
    McDonald has a 40+ point game, maybe even a new record. Williams is poised, relaxed and dialed in, enjoying this moment.

Stanford wins with a 10 point margin of victory. 70-60.

Next? ZagDad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stanford of course is considered the favorite. Handled Arizona fairly easily twice this year. Cats seem to be playing on a different level now. Stanford has a bugaboo of either starting slow, or hitting a major lull at some point during games. Not exactly a bold prediction, but I'd probably go with Stanford, although I'd tend to think more of a close game than the 2 previous meetings between the 2. This Tourney has shown us to never count out Arizona though!

I don't see Aari getting 40+ today.

I think Arizona may have the best player on the court and they have belief they can win, I just think Stanford has more. More players, more depth, more experience...

I liken today's game to the GU men vs Iowa. Garza got his points but the rest of Iowa could not keep up with the Zags.

Same thing will happen today, Aari will get hers but the rest of Arizona can't keep pace with the Cardinal and Tara brings home her 3rd national championship.

Cardinal win by 10 and I like your score of 70-60.

No matter who wins, for the first time in what (29 years??) the Wbb National Championship is coming back to the Pac-12.

Way to go Pac-12. The conference of champions.

ZagDad

Should be a great game! I'm rooting for Stanford because of the Hull twins being from Spokane, but I'm also hoping for an Arizona win because they haven't won before!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Arizona can't buy a bucket (3-19), but Stanford kinda letting them hang around. 16-8 thru Q1.

This definitely had the classic feel of a game where one team should've built a much bigger lead when their opponent was struggling. Arizona has come back to grab a 21-20 lead, and McDonald isn't shooting well. Stanford better find another gear.

McDonald has had a magical run in the Tourney, but today she can't put the ball in the bucket, and she's hurting the team by just keeping forcing shots.

Stanford went on a run to go up 10 before an and-1.

Lexie doesn't have a great shooting percentage, but she's been huge for Stanford in the Tourney. Timely buckets, relentless hustle and defense, she's been rebounding really well. She's an unsung hero for the Cardinal.

31-24 at the half. Low scoring, but two teams who know each other very well slugging it out.

Looking at box scores for Stanford, Lexie was fairly quiet in Round 1 thru 3. But starting w/ the Regional Final, she put up 21 pts/9 rebs, 18 pts/13 rebs, and leading them at the half w/ 8 pts/6 rebs. today. Seems like Williams and Jones get most of the attention, but Lexie has been coming up huge for them as the games have gotten tougher and higher stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    31-24 at the half. Low scoring, but two teams who know each other very well slugging it out.
    Told my wife before the game, either TV “let’s” Aari (mostly) “get her points”, and forces the rest of AZ beat them

OR

She COMPLETELY locks down on McDonald, and forces the rest of AZ beat them.

Well it seems like the latter. One of the things Rebecca Lobo pointed out before the game was that Stanford may try to keep Aari out of what she called “McDonald’s house”, the block/low post. AM is swarmed down low by the Stanford bigs...5 points for the half.

Certainly Stanford has a number of very good perimeter defenders who can take turns guarding Aari and make life rough for her, but she's just plain missing some shots she should be making.

Despite her struggles, McDonald is in double figures for I believe her 93rd straight game. That's pretty freaking amazing.

Arizona back within 3. Stanford kinda falling apart, series of bad TOs. Lexie shaken up on a collision, was out for a while but just came back in.

43-40 thru Q3. Arizona really cranked up the D and started getting a bunch of steals. McDonald just can't buy a bucket, 3-15. She's had so many rim out. If she was playing like the rest of the Tourney, Arizona would be up big. This one can still go either way. Williams has been really quiet for Stanford. Jones having a pretty good game.

3 buckets for Jones and Brink give Stanford control to start Q4.

Arizona just won't go away. Here they come again.

Aari has finally found the range, hit 2 3's in a row. 51-50 w/ 3 minutes left.

Aari goes cold again. Huge and-1 for Jones. Stanford up 4.

1 point Stanford lead, they have the ball, 36.6 sec. left.

Stanford doesn't even get a shot up. Just a completely wasted possession.

McDonald's desperation heave was off the back of the rim. Stanford has dodged a bullet both of the last 2 games.

Well THAT didn’t go the way I thought it might?

My wife still owes $5 however on our little friendly wager.

Went down to the wire. This has been a fantastic series.

A couple of breathless nights watching basketball, and I expect that to continue for another day. Glad Stanford pulled it out, although they did the same thing at the end they did against South Carolina, a turnover allowing a shot at the buzzer. I'm lucky enough to know the twins, having been present through their high school careers. I was so happy for them, and their teammates, in seeing them win the championship. A couple of quality young ladies, on and off the court.

Stanford was hitting 3s in every game in the tourney, but could not find the basket today shooting only 4-14.

Stanford took 2 foul shots and Arizona took 18. Simply cannot believe that Stanford bigs, who won the rebounding battle 47-29 and scored 44 of Stanford points were not hacked repeatedly inside. Aari, man I like her game but she flops on absolutely every play, contact or not, and she gets the calls, except for the last shot.

K. Williams, point guard for Stanford, playing in her home town, had a terrible game, 5 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists and 6 (yes 6) turnovers. Stanford guards, Williams and Wilson only provided 10 points and accounted for 8 turnovers in the game. The bigs needed some assistance, and simply did not get it today.

Stanford had 21 turnovers, with 12 of them steals by Arizona. Got really lucky to beat a team after having 20+ turnovers (Right Zags).

I really do not understand the last play by Arizona. Everybody in the arena and watching on TV fully expected Aari to take the final shot. Pellington (G) for Arizona scored 15 points and had a better shooting percentage than Aari. Why not pass the ball to Aari and pass the ball to Pellington for the shot? Nope threw the ball in, passed it to Aari where she was swarmed by three (3) much taller Stanford players making it an almost impossible shot. Only Aari's talent got the ball close to the hoop. Could have gotten a much better shot by Pellington.

A very exciting game, but not a well played game. Arizona did not shoot well from anywhere, Stanford did not shoot well from 3 allowing Arizona to sag into the key mucking up the middle. It is simply very difficult to beat a team 3 times in a season, particularly a good team with a superstar. Arizona got Stanford to play their game, and it just about worked.

Congrats to the Stanford Cardinal and the Hull twins, it was one of the reasons they went to Stanford and it payed off with Tara's first National Championship in 29 years (1992) her 3rd championship overall.

ZagDad