Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officiating

Default Officiating

Final four teams, final four officials.

I thought it was well called.

Don't favor the relaxation of the rules on contact in the tournament. Too much hockey-style checking. Then they decide to call contact at crazy times like when Kispert brushed against a Bruin on a rebound. But, in the end, can't say the officials decided the game - but, I still don't like the amount of contact that is allowed.

+1

Most board Baylor fans were convinced it was a foul on "the block"

Slow any play in this game down for a second and one will see a foul.

On the one hand, the officials "let them play" and we'd have had guys fouled out if they didn't

On the other, it kept UCLA in the game as the rugby match.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    Don't favor the relaxation of the rules on contact in the tournament. Too much hockey-style checking. Then they decide to call contact at crazy times like when Kispert brushed against a Bruin on a rebound. But, in the end, can't say the officials decided the game - but, I still don't like the amount of contact that is allowed.
    Agreed. I don't know that the calls favored either team. However, they were terribly inconsistent in the amount of contact they allowed. This is especially true down low on shots and rebounds. People would come flying in for an offensive board on one play and another Ayayi was thrown to the ground and called for a foul. I was a little unimpressed overall with the jobs the refs did, but boy did they have some brass ones to call that charge at the end of regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    One play, in particular, the UCLA center set a screen, a moving one, and trapped Suggs. He proceeded to push him 2-3 steps into the paint and when Suggs reached around to stop Juzang, They called Jalen for the foul.
    The announcers were saying a moving screen, but the officials saw it different.
    Juzang mad two free throws, so it was a mini swing.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

It was a physical game....refs did the best they could imo

Quote Originally Posted by gobroncsgozags View Post
    Agreed. I don't know that the calls favored either team. However, they were terribly inconsistent in the amount of contact they allowed. This is especially true down low on shots and rebounds. People would come flying in for an offensive board on one play and another Ayayi was thrown to the ground and called for a foul. I was a little unimpressed overall with the jobs the refs did, but boy did they have some brass ones to call that charge at the end of regulation.
    Agree 100%
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

I usually think a well officiated game is one where it is called evenly both ways, whether it is the "right" or "wrong" call. Both teams have a fair chance and understand what is allowed/not allowed that game.

Today? Didn't feel that way. Not egregious, but felt like some things were allowed on one end that wasn't on the other end.

Refs were fine. Team fouls were pretty reasonable in both halves. Hard game to officiate and we’ve seen a lot worse.

It was bad, definitely didn't favor one team or the other though. Amazing game, all time great performance by by all.

I am going to have to rewatch but in the heat of the moment, UCLA seemed to get the benefit of all of the 50-50 calls down the stretch, excluding the Suggs block and the Timme charge. I thought the charge was an obvious one that they got right. I think you reward Suggs with that block from behind, as I favor giving the guy who made an amazing play the benefit of a call like that.

Some questionable ones off the top of my head:
    - the aforementioned call on Ayayi when he got shucked to the ground
    - the Drew Timme travel (that shot went in)
    - the Suggs offensive foul on Tyger. That could easily have been a play-on (Suggs made that basket)
    - the call on Kispert when his arms were stationary and the guy jumped into them from underneath

I say this just to say that for anyone who thinks UCLA got jobbed, the Zags would have missed OT if one extra 50/50 call went their way.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I am going to have to rewatch but in the heat of the moment, UCLA seemed to get the benefit of all of the 50-50 calls down the stretch, excluding the Suggs block and the Timme charge. I thought the charge was an obvious one that they got right. I think you reward Suggs with that block from behind, as I favor giving the guy who made an amazing play the benefit of a call like that.

- the Suggs offensive foul on Tyger. That could easily have been a play-on (Suggs made that basket)
    - the call on Kispert when his arms were stationary and the guy jumped into them from underneath

I say this just to say that for anyone who thinks UCLA got jobbed, the Zags would have missed OT if one extra 50/50 call went their way.
    Well said. They definitely got more calls than we did. At times it felt like we were playing against the refs too. All is forgiven, we wouldn’t have had that finish without it.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

I concur mightily. Honestly, what is so controversial about the charge call on Juzenga? Timme's feet were set and he was outside the restricted area. That's just great defense and even bigger balls.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

I try not to get too upset about all the bang bang plays that occur throughout a game but this one really pissed me off. They should have flop warned Tyger early in the game and maybe this crucial bad call doesn’t happen.

Thought the officiating was good. Most importantly, they didn't decide the game, they let the players decide. Even trade.......Suggs charge on Tyger and Juzang charge on Drew. A few ticky tack calls on both ends but that is to be expected.

Blaming the officials is the excuse of the losers.

Go ZAGS

I've watched that one a few times, and I'm not sure Suggs could do anything to avoid Tyger there. Tyger basically leaps chest-first into Sugg's arm with his feet underneath Suggs and then bounces backwards off of Suggs.

The officials did not decide the game. The officials allowed a lot of contact on both sides. The Suggs block should have been a foul call, but it was no more egregious than a couple of plays where Suggs was knocked to the ground without a foul call in his favor. UCLA pushed off a lot on offense. They set moving screens. For the most part, the officials allowed the kids to play. Both teams showed tremendous heart. Neither team allowed the officiating to distract from their style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post

Blaming the officials is the excuse of the losers.

Go ZAGS
    says the ones who've never been jobbed! if only integrity always mattered, but alas.......

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    says the ones who've never been jobbed! if only integrity always mattered, but alas.......
    BBBB - Every team has been jobbed. Recall the 2017 NC game against UNC. UNC player's foot slides out of bounds, no call. ZAGS lose...............play on. Have never heard that used as an excuse for the loss in the biggest game in ZAG history. Hundreds of other examples. It's part of the game, it's part of life. Integrity comes from lack of blaming the officials for the loss, not for lack of ever being jobbed.

Go ZAGS

BBBB - Every team has been jobbed. Recall the 2017 NC game against UNC. UNC player's foot slides out of bounds, no call. ZAGS lose...............play on. Have never heard that used as an excuse for the loss in the biggest game in ZAG history. Hundreds of other examples. It's part of the game, it's part of life. Integrity comes from lack of blaming the officials for the loss, not for lack of ever being jobbed.

Go ZAGS
    calling out the truth in the officiating is integrity vs. looking the other way and pretending all is well, which is the opposite in my book

calling out the truth in the officiating is integrity vs. looking the other way and pretending all is well, which is the opposite in my book
    Not looking the other way, just accepting it as part of the game...........Every team gets jobbed. Officials are human, just like the players. Mistakes are made.........Play on!!

Enjoy the game on Monday, win or lose, jobbed or not!!

Go ZAGS

Not looking the other way, just accepting it as part of the game...........Every team gets jobbed. Officials are human, just like the players. Mistakes are made.........Play on!!

Enjoy the game on Monday, win or lose, jobbed or not!!

Go ZAGS
    mistakes are not the same! no way, intention matters. and I accept both as part of the game, mistakes and the other...how else can anyone overcome anything?

You enjoy the game too, sincerely, and whatever happens, the only way to overcome is to see it for what it is first so then you can overcome and then beat it

Go Zags

Go ZAGS
    plus one on this

mistakes are not the same! no way, intention matters. and I accept both as part of the game, mistakes and the other...how else can anyone overcome anything?

You enjoy the game too, sincerely, and whatever happens, the only way to overcome is to see it for what it is first so then you can overcome and then beat it

Go Zags
    BBBB - Are you saying getting jobbed is intentional?? Like the officials are intentionally making bad calls?? If so, that is an entirely different discussion. Maybe the players are in on it too, who knows...............maybe the coaches as well. How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?? It's not an automatic conspiracy if your team loses.

One team has to lose, it's on the up and up. Accept it and play on.

Go ZAGS