Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Baylor - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Just win! These guys have played hard all season, and I expect it to be a hard fought win! Can’t wait to watch them play!

We have played 31 games, and have won 31 games.

No chance I am picking against them now:

Zags 84- Bears 80

Zags road ends here... in victory.

Zags 87
    Baylor 79
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

As a zag, I want to see a win, that’s it.

As a college basketball fan, I’ve wanted to see how the Bears handle Timme, who Mitchell and Suggs guard (I’m guessing each other)? How do Vital and Thamba match up with Kispert and Timme. Curious if they will opt for Vital on Timme and Mayer on Kispert. Likewise, can we not over help on defense, leaving Teague and Butler open. Which of the 6 guards has the best game? I could see all six being player of the game. My guess is we’ll use Suggs as a decoy pulling Mitchell away from the basket and let Nembhard run the point.

It’s going to be a fascinating game and one that we’ve all been waiting for. I knew the Two teams were on a collision course so I’ve watched nearly every Baylor game. They’re a phenomenal team, but I do think the Zags are a hair better!

I don’t know who will guard Timme. All thing equal in other positions, he is going to be the one thing that’ll bring that title home.

i REALLY don't need to see another epic game of the ages. I just need to see a casual beatdown with the standard margin of victory we're accustomed.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Go Zags ! Beat the Bears !
    GU - 89 BU - 85

92-87 GU. Kispert needs a better game, Suggs & Timme & Ayayi do there thing. Would like to see same defensive intensity as USC game.

This will be a great matchup between two amazing teams. Baylor might be the best team we’ve played in the past decade. We’ve played teams with more size. We’ve played teams with more NBA talent. I don’t think we’ve played a team with Baylor’s combination of strength, speed, skill, and experience. They are loaded with smart, veteran players. They play fast. They play hard. They pass and shoot very well. They defend and rebound better than any team we’ve played over the past two seasons.

On the other hand, I don’t think Baylor has faced a team as good as this Gonzaga team over the past couple of years, either. I expect an absolute dog fight between two teams that can overcome excellent defense with better offense. I expect this game to be decided during the final thirty seconds of play.

84-80 Zags.

Zags 88
    Baylor 81
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Kispert needs to have ONE game where he doesn't limp into 15 points in this tournament. I'm not saying he's playing bad, but if he can put together a 6-8 from 3 half which he's done a number of times, I think we'd all sleep better.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Bears 73
    Zags 85

Go Zags - Beat the Bears!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Gonzaga 84
    Baylor 79

Like most, Hoping to see Kispert make threes. In the final analysis Gonzaga has better players all around. Nembhard, Ayayi, and Cook are the difference. These guys are really, really good players, even though they are not the headlines.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Defense defense defense. Corey returns as the sharpshooter and Timme can’t be guarded. Zags by 10!

GU 92-85
    Last edited by zag67; 04-05-2021 at 06:49 AM.

I think some people in the media are making too big a deal of UCLA's offensive performance last night (at least in so far as it relates to Gonzaga's defense). All credit to UCLA but they had a historic performance for midrange jumpers. Those are the kind of shots every team in the country is OK with giving up, but they just couldn't miss. Didn't matter if if it was contested or not, almost everything went in. If Baylor wants to try to replicate what UCLA did then I say go ahead, I hope they try. I will bet on Gonzaga winning 9 times out of 10 if the opposing team is putting up 25+ mid range 2's.

This is what makes March madness such a crapshoot. Sometimes you are on the losing side of a fluke performance, and it almost happened against Gonzaga, thankfully we have such a great offense we were able to match their mid range 2's with a lot of easy, high percentage shots. If you look at the NBA playoffs a lot of great teams lose the first game in a series only to storm back and win a best of 7 4-1 or 4-2. If UCLA pulled off the miracle it wouldn't have made them a better team than Gonzaga but I don't think the tournament is designed for the best team to win (at least most of the time). Gonzaga benefited from this format early in program history where they were the ones pulling off the upsets, so the format has certainly been kind to the program looking at it in the long term.

I'm not trying to diminish what UCLA did. They knew Gonzaga was going to give up those 10-15 footers because statistically it's one of the worst shots in the game, and they damn near made all of them. I think if Baylor tries a similar strategy they could end up getting blown out. What gives me confidence that Gonzaga is going to win is our offense is incredibly consistent. Baylor needs to shoot well from 3 to win, we don't. Their best chance is if they shoot well from 3 and we shoot poorly from 3 and in that case I'd say it's a crap shoot who wins. If we match them or outperform them from 3 we win probably comfortably. Also, I don't think they have anyone who can guard Timme. If Mobley got dusted by Timme, then the Baylor's bigs don't have much of a shot.

I'm picking this as 88-80 Gonzaga with the win.

Quote Originally Posted by tempe85 View Post
    I think some people in the media are making too big a deal of UCLA's offensive performance last night. All credit to UCLA but they had a historic performance for midrange jumpers. Those are the kind of shots every team in the country is OK with giving up, but they just couldn't miss. Didn't matter if if it was contested or not, almost everything went in. If Baylor wants to try to replicate what UCLA did then I say go ahead, I hope they try. I will bet on Gonzaga winning 9 times out of 10 if the opposing team is putting up 25+ mid range 2's.

This is what makes March madness such a crapshoot. Sometimes you are on the losing side of a fluke performance, and it almost happened against Gonzaga, thankfully we have such a great offense we were able to match their mid range 2's with a lot of easy, high percentage shots. If you look at the NBA playoffs a lot of great teams lose the first game in a series only to storm back and win a best of 7 4-1 or 4-2. If UCLA pulled off the miracle it wouldn't have made them a better team than Gonzaga but I don't think the tournament is designed for the best team to win (at least most of the time). Gonzaga benefited from this format early in program history where they were the ones pulling off the upsets, so the format has certainly been kind to the program looking at it in the long term.

I'm not trying to diminish what UCLA did. They knew Gonzaga was going to give up those 10-15 footers because statistically it's one of the worst shots in the game, and they damn near made all of them. I think if Baylor tries a similar strategy they could end up getting blown out. What gives me confidence that Gonzaga is going to win is our offense is incredibly consistent. Baylor needs to shoot well from 3 to win, we don't. Their best chance is if they shoot well from 3 and we shoot poorly from 3 and in that case I'd say it's a crap shoot who wins. If we match them or outperform them from 3 we win probably comfortably. Also, I don't think they have anyone who can guard Timme. If Mobley got dusted by Timme, then the Baylor's bigs don't have much of a shot.

I'm picking this as 88-80 Gonzaga with the win.
    I just posted a link on the other thread. Teams with UCLA's stats last night are 98-1 this year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

ZAGS 88 Baylor 74

Everyone has their idea of what are the keys to the game. To me the key is whether we can consistently get the ball into Timme in the post. During parts of the UCLA game we struggled with this. I’m sure Baylor will try to deny Timme position and pressure the ball to make entry passes more difficult. The height advantage our guards have may help us in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I just posted a link on the other thread. Teams with UCLA's stats last night are 98-1 this year.
    The Bruins played out of their minds, but it’s what you would expect in the National Semi’s. I’m just thankful that we played well enough to be the “1”.

The Zags and Bears have been the two best teams for 2 years and I believe it’s fitting that they meet for the title. My head says toss up, but my heart says Zags by 7. 87-80

History baby!
    Keeping real estate real in the Wenatchee Valley since 1991.

I expect Baylor to play their A game.

The game comes down to Kispert, IMO. He is our senior leader, 1st team All American, Wooden Award Finalist, NBA Lottery pick playing his final game in a legendary GU career. It's time for him to come out hot and put Baylor under pressure by raining threes. We need an efficient 20 from Corey tomorrow. If that happens, I think we are going to be fine.

ZZ

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Just win.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Some of these predictions are crazy.. 19 points?

I think Zags win, but the game is back and forth..Baylor is very good, and goes with 8 guys.

Just win.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger14 View Post
    Some of these predictions are crazy.. 19 points?

I think Zags win, but the game is back and forth..Baylor is very good, and goes with 8 guys.
    Yes, agree many of these predictions are just unbelievable IMO...I have watched Baylor play many times this season and they are an excellent team...maybe the best three starting guards in the country as all three drain threes from all over the court. I dreaded this game since it was cancelled earlier this season. There is not doubt that this season, Baylor University's basketball team is superb and GU is also an excellent Bball team and just hope we can win this one BUT it will be the stiffest challenge this team has had (not saying UCLA game wasn't but they did play "outa their behinds")...

Their guards will score more but our front court players are so much more efficient and IMO the key to a victory for GU...we need to play extraordinary defense and somehow limit their 3pt shots.

Just hope we lead by one when the second half horn goes off...