Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 71

Thread: Mark Few #2 in AP Coach of the Year poll

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    - why would they come out with the voting and award when the season is not even over? weird.
    - clearly few was second in the minds of the voters, but what if he won the championship, i'd think that would move some votes into few's column.

    - coach few has always had his eyes on a more important yearly award, the national championship! go get it coach.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,634

    Default

    Few needed to get tossed from a game for fighting, to show how much he cares.


    Sarcasm
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Few is very very deserving. Things are different in America these days.
    +111

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,844

    Default

    If Juwan Howard is the choice, he should have been named co-winner with Phil Martelli; otherwise, Mark Few - the coach with 9 PLAYERS IN FIRST YEAR IN THE PROGRAM - should be coach of the year.

    Whatever...fuel for the Final Four fire these Zags are about to light.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    9,037

    Default

    Give the guys some additional motivation to win it all for their coach.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,694

    Default

    I am just completely outraged about this.

    The level of disrespect for Mark Few is unforgiveable.

    Time to stop regarding any Eastern beauty contest as a valid representation of reality and instead regard them all as irrelevant vanity awards. Self promotion by rewriting history to be sold as truth. Laughable jokes that will be taken as an insult if brought up in any serious conversation.
    I miss Mike Hart

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    744

    Default

    I loved that 49 point offense that Howard unvailed against ucla. It really looks like he is a better coach than Coach Few. LOL

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Michigan's non-con was embarassing. Zero games away from home, or against anyone higher than #67 Toledo. When I hear about a team's schedule, I think who they choose to play is important.
    YES!!! I've been saying this forever, the B10 played absolutely no one OOC and yet they were such a strong conference playing against themselves...ACC, SEC & B10 are all about equal imo...

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    70

    Default

    The real coach of the year award comes from the Naismith Trophy, to be announced Apr 6. There will be a different winner. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...e-season-watch

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,861

    Default

    Few won COY in 2017 and felt more like a lifetime achievement award.

    Unfortunately, the COY has come to mean "coach of the year's most improved team or team with an unexpectedly good season".

    In the NFL, Pete Carroll is one of the winningest coaches of his era but has never come close to winning COY.

    ZZ

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    These awards would do well to be clear about their criteria. Every year I see pro sports "MVP" discussions parse the living hell out of the word valuable...does it mean "best" or "most talented" or "most deserving" or "elevated his team the most" or "exceeded expectations", etc. It skews the voting, and sometimes ends up being more about one's surrounding cast than the player themself.

    As for Coach of the Year...

    If you base it on pre-season expectations vs. results, then a large part of your metric is the preseason ratings and judgements of a roster. This is an especially flawed system when college basketball is so heavily influenced by underclassmen who are notoriously hard to predict.

    If you just take the big picture view and look at what coach has accomplished the most, I just think it's really impossible to not give it to Few this year. Drew, Howard, Tinkle, and others have done a nice job. But going undefeated, including multiple wins over top 15 teams, and winning every game but ONE by double digits DESPITE losing several players to the NBA during a season with limited practice and off-season training time due to covid....well, that's just an absurdly incredible accomplishment. I'm biased, but any criteria that lead the award away from Few this season ought to be re-examined.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Perhaps polls closed too early. Coach Few earned it through recruiting, development, scheduling (and rescheduling), bench coaching and adjustments, and overall concern for his staff and players.

    I have no qualm about the worthiness of Coach Howard, the coaches praised in this thread and others who should have been noted. Every team and coach who handled this extraordinarily challenging year deserves our appreciation and applause. Yes, the season will have an asterisk, because Covid made everything very, very hard. The fact that Coach Few won COY previously should not subtract from his efforts and achievements.

    I have the deepest respect for the coach and the greatest affective for the man. I suspect that he, the team, and the fans have a greater hope for recognition that will be achieved in two more games. No votes or polls required. They will have our support all the way.


    GO ZAGS!! Get it done!

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    In the NFL, Pete Carroll is one of the winningest coaches of his era but has never come close to winning COY.
    I was surprised to learn that Coach K has never won the AP coach of the year award.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Michigan's non-con was embarassing. Zero games away from home, or against anyone higher than #67 Toledo. When I hear about a team's schedule, I think who they choose to play is important.
    Yes but the Big10 is so stong who you play in the non-con matters not. Total BS! Where is Dan Dakich maybe he can explain it to me?!!!!

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    106

    Default

    I think in the history of the AP award Few is the second coach to not win the AP coach of the year award and go undefeated (in a season where no other team was undefeated). The only other was Tarkanian in 1990-91.

    Many have won it despite being preseason #1 too. Wooden did it twice, Bob Knight did it in 1976 (despite the fact there was another undefeated team and they were defending national champions), and Calipari did it in 2015.

    Coaches that won coach of the year after going undefeated in the regular season:

    1968: Guy Lewis
    1971: Al McGuire
    1972 and 1973: John Wooden
    1975 and 1976: Bob Knight
    1979: Bill Hodges
    2014: Gregg Marshall
    2015: John Caliperi

    Coaches that didn't win AP coach of the year after going undefeated (and when another undefeated coach didn't win it):
    1991: Jerry Tarkanian
    2021: Mark Few

    Couple notes about Tarkanian not winning in '91:
    They were the defending national champs who had won the title game by 30 points. Tarkanian was also being investigated at the time by the NCAA for violations. He lost the award to a second year Big 10 coach who had surprised that year by going 27-4 (Randy Ayers). Ayers would go on to make the tournament 1 more time after he won AP coach of the year, and was fired just 6 years after winning the award after having 4 consecutive losing seasons.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tempe85 View Post
    I think in the history of the AP award Few is the second coach to not win the AP coach of the year award and go undefeated (in a season where no other team was undefeated). The only other was Tarkanian in 1990-91.

    Many have won it despite being preseason #1 too. Wooden did it twice, Bob Knight did it in 1976 (despite the fact there was another undefeated team and they were defending national champions), and Calipari did it in 2015.

    Coaches that won coach of the year after going undefeated in the regular season:

    1968: Guy Lewis
    1971: Al McGuire
    1972 and 1973: John Wooden
    1975 and 1976: Bob Knight
    1979: Bill Hodges
    2014: Gregg Marshall
    2015: John Caliperi

    Coaches that didn't win AP coach of the year after going undefeated (and when another undefeated coach didn't win it):
    1991: Jerry Tarkanian
    2021: Mark Few

    Couple notes about Tarkanian not winning in '91:
    They were the defending national champs who had won the title game by 30 points. Tarkanian was also being investigated at the time by the NCAA for violations. He lost the award to a second year Big 10 coach who had surprised that year by going 27-4 (Randy Ayers). Ayers would go on to make the tournament 1 more time after he won AP coach of the year, and was fired just 6 years after winning the award after having 4 consecutive losing seasons.
    nice research. Well done

    thanks

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    National media is East Coast media. This is Adam Morrison verse JJ Reddick all over again. And this is how it will always be.

    Trust me. When an ACC school gets back to relevance, the Eastern media will discard GU quicker than a bad prom date.

    The next step is to start throwing out asterisks and creating different tiers of "greatness".

    One thing you can say about Easterners. Their infatuation with rewriting sport history to always casts their teams, their players, and their coaches in some sort of GOAT status is always their primary concern. It is the only reason they love sports. ESPN, FOX, CBS make boatloads of money creating shows that endlessly cater to some form of Eastern supremacy and they drone on about it all day, every day. The sports networks aren't even about sports reporting anymore and have become non stop ego massaging for their biggest Eastern markets.

    The award winners will always be the best Eastern "feelgood" story.

    They are shocked by the PAC 12 this season. Shocked!
    This is exactly right on.

    Additionally, if one wants to take a bit of a different angle, it's kind of almost a testament our players' greatness. The only justification for this is: "That team is loaded, I coulda' coached that team to 28 wins" - or something to that effect.

    Yes, he got robbed. Yes, it's a horrific injustice. Yes, some of it is east coast bias, some of it is due to Juan Howard being a very popular guy that everyone (except Jazz) loves. And it's Big Blue, so f-you, west coast.

    But it's also "That team is so good it doesn't even need a coach" - at least in part.

    So that's the part I choose to take away. That and Coach Few couldn't care less, if I had to guess.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    This is exactly right on.

    Additionally, if one wants to take a bit of a different angle, it's kind of almost a testament our players' greatness. The only justification for this is: "That team is loaded, I coulda' coached that team to 28 wins" - or something to that effect.

    Yes, he got robbed. Yes, it's a horrific injustice. Yes, some of it is east coast bias, some of it is due to Juan Howard being a very popular guy that everyone (except Jazz) loves. And it's Big Blue, so f-you, west coast.

    But it's also "That team is so good it doesn't even need a coach" - at least in part.

    So that's the part I choose to take away. That and Coach Few couldn't care less, if I had to guess.
    Jazz is not the only one that doesn't like Howard, neither do I. To me Howard showed his true colors, when he started yelling an Maryland's coach. Then acted like he was going after him. Howard is 6'9'' and Sturgen is 5'10'' and 20 years older than Howard. Then Howard acted like he had to be held back by his assistant coaches. To me it made Howard look stupid. Then he had that brilliant game plan that led his team to scoring 49 points against UCLA. Howard shows absolutly nothing to me.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Jazz is not the only one that doesn't like Howard, neither do I. To me Howard showed his true colors, when he started yelling an Maryland's coach. Then acted like he was going after him. Howard is 6'9'' and Sturgen is 5'10'' and 20 years older than Howard. Then Howard acted like he had to be held back by his assistant coaches. To me it made Howard look stupid. Then he had that brilliant game plan that led his team to scoring 49 points against UCLA. Howard shows absolutly nothing to me.
    Well, certainly it's a consideration and I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong.

    I've read some of his background and I'm impressed.

    We can even leave that part off and just write that he's coach of Big Blue and it almost has the same impact.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Jazz is not the only one that doesn't like Howard, neither do I. To me Howard showed his true colors, when he started yelling an Maryland's coach. Then acted like he was going after him. Howard is 6'9'' and Sturgen is 5'10'' and 20 years older than Howard. Then Howard acted like he had to be held back by his assistant coaches. To me it made Howard look stupid. Then he had that brilliant game plan that led his team to scoring 49 points against UCLA. Howard shows absolutly nothing to me.
    I’ve been biting my tongue. He threatened to kill the other coach! Seriously, if I had any respect for polls and awards I have zero now. #1 team from start to finish, undefeated record, probably a pretty decent graduation rate....Coach Few is #1 in my book.

    Is there any criteria to vote on this silly award? Agree with a previous post, Wayne Tinkle had an outstanding year.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Is anyone really surprised? If you look at the game threads, it's clear that our guys have been putting in B- performances, at best, all through the tournament. No matter how may wins a coach has, a grade of B- on the "eye test" just isn't going to cut it.

    But seriously, the media has their narrative and it's "Juwan is amazing!" Never be surprised when the media pushes the narrative over facts.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    2,920

    Default

    Finally some locker room fodder for the team. Prove to the doubters who the best coach is this year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drvenkman05 View Post
    Is anyone really surprised? If you look at the game threads, it's clear that our guys have been putting in B- performances, at best, all through the tournament. No matter how may wins a coach has, a grade of B- on the "eye test" just isn't going to cut it.

    But seriously, the media has their narrative and it's "Juwan is amazing!" Never be surprised when the media pushes the narrative over facts.
    The only poster claiming in the game threads that the Zags are earning a B- is you.


    Sent via mobile device


    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    “They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Spokane / Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    2,157

    Default

    Everything is political in this era, defies logic.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,295

    Default

    Coincidentally, Juwan is the BB equivalent of Jim Harbaugh. Good pro career, nice image, some previous coaching stops, media darling, quote machine, returns to save alma mater. Then lots of bloviating, a smidgen of early success, on the field antics, more bloviating mixed in with preening, and a failure to win the big one. You see where this is headed. Blue blood mediocrity, administrators locked into a brand name, big ego, small results. Hail to the Victims.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •