Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Few #2 in AP Coach of the Year poll

Default Mark Few #2 in AP Coach of the Year poll

Juwan Howard 1st.

https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/a...ch-of-the-year

Obviously, the votes were cast long before that UCLA game.

Few deserves 1. What more could he have done?

Kispert with two votes in the POY race, good for a 4th place tie.

Yeah, that's absurd.

Allow myself to introduce....myself...

That is just plain silly. Undefeated team all year coached by a guy that brought a program out of obscurity into a powerhouse and he isn't the coach of the year.
    Just plain stupid.

Also, Michigan ABSOLUTELY could have won that E8 game. ESPECIALLY late in the contest. Poor shots/plays/possessions/decisions all around. Obviously, blame can be shifted toward players, but there is absolutely some on Howard for that gaffe of a final few minutes.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

This is absurd. Undefeated season 30-0 with a chance to make history vs 23-5 (and out of the tourney). Would be keen to understand why 35 people voted for JH. No doubt he's a fantastic coach and is doing some fantastic things. However, with potential history in the making by a coach who has spent well over 20 years BUILDING a premier program, it's difficult to make any sense of this. Maybe more will come out as to why they voted for JH.

The good news?
    The Zags play Saturday to remind everyone for the 31st time, why the Zags are #1. Can't wait!

National media is East Coast media. This is Adam Morrison verse JJ Reddick all over again. And this is how it will always be.

Trust me. When an ACC school gets back to relevance, the Eastern media will discard GU quicker than a bad prom date.

The next step is to start throwing out asterisks and creating different tiers of "greatness".

One thing you can say about Easterners. Their infatuation with rewriting sport history to always casts their teams, their players, and their coaches in some sort of GOAT status is always their primary concern. It is the only reason they love sports. ESPN, FOX, CBS make boatloads of money creating shows that endlessly cater to some form of Eastern supremacy and they drone on about it all day, every day. The sports networks aren't even about sports reporting anymore and have become non stop ego massaging for their biggest Eastern markets.

The award winners will always be the best Eastern "feelgood" story.

They are shocked by the PAC 12 this season. Shocked!
    I miss Mike Hart

Juan Howard stepped into a loaded successful program. Its not like he has turned a nobody into a contender. Michigan had consecutive 30 win seasons with most key players returning.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I mean, this isn’t going to age well but who really remembers who was college coach of the year most seasons? Yeah, this is pretty much like giving Karl Malone the MVP over MJ. Let’s hope the Zags finish off the comparison with a championship!!!
    Getting vaccinated isn’t a political issue. It’s a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

Honest question (because I agree with Mal that nobody really remembers these things): has Few ever won Coach of the Year?

If not, WHY NOT??
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Honest question (because I agree with Mal that nobody really remembers these things): has Few ever won Coach of the Year?

If not, WHY NOT??
    He has.

Wayne Tinkle has as strong a case as anyone. One top 100 player on the roster.

Media fave Juwan had it at hello.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Random Beavers trivia: Ralph Miller actually won it two years in a row, in 1981 & 1982, when the Beavers went 2-2 in the tournament and then later had to vacate those wins.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    That is just plain silly. Undefeated team all year coached by a guy that brought a program out of obscurity into a powerhouse and he isn't the coach of the year.
    Just plain stupid.
    Coach of the year? More like coach of the decade....tell me any coach in darn near any sport that has done more with less....The Uconn girls coach is pretty impressive too.

The regular season has to be taken into account and while he had a great tourney run they had an average at best season excluding the tourney.

https://twitter.com/clubtrillion/sta...16693410197505

Mark Titus
    @clubtrillion
    Great effort from Mark Few but in the end he just wasn't undefeated enough
    Quote Tweet
    Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    · 2h
    Michigan's Juwan Howard has been named AP National Coach of the Year, per release.
    1:17 PM · Apr 1, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Michigan's non-con was embarassing. Zero games away from home, or against anyone higher than #67 Toledo. When I hear about a team's schedule, I think who they choose to play is important.

The regular season has to be taken into account and while he had a great tourney run they had an average at best season excluding the tourney.
    To me, coaching should be evaluated in terms of what you're able to do with the talent available. OSU was picked to finish 12th in the PAC, and they finished 10-10 in what everyone now knows was the best league in the country, getting the 5 seed in the conf tourney. I'd argue that that's already overachievement, rather that "average at best".

Then they successively beat kenpom 15 (UCLA) 16 (Ore) 8(Colo) 27 (Tenn) 34 (Ok St) and 10 (Loyola) before a close loss t0 #3 Houston. With basically a high mid-major roster other than Thompson, at a school with among the worst resources in its conference.

And yes, they were terrible to start the season. I watched their loss to Portland. To me that makes the case for Tinkle stronger. Can't remenber a team improving like that.

Now, as to coach of the decade, that's Few by a mile.

To me, coaching should be evaluated in terms of what you're able to do with the talent available. OSU was picked to finish 12th in the PAC, and they finished 10-10 in what everyone now knows was the best league in the country, getting the 5 seed in the conf tourney. I'd argue that that's already overachievement, rather that "average at best".

Then they successively beat kenpom 15 (UCLA) 16 (Ore) 8(Colo) 27 (Tenn) 34 (Ok St) and 10 (Loyola) before a close loss t0 #3 Houston. With basically a high mid major roster other than Thompson, at a school with among the worst resources in its conference.

And yes, they were terrible to start the season. I watched their loss to Portland. To me that makes the case for Tinkle stronger. Can't remenber a team improving like that.

Now, as to coach of the decade, that's Few by a mile.
    If that's the criteria I vote Abilene Christian then. That team lacked talent (as in every Oregon State player would start over their starters) yet they upset Texas!

Edit: for the record I was rooting for OSU in every game. Loved what they did. Cheered it all. Very happy for him.
    But you can't throw out what was an average at best regular season. And quite frankly that's being charitable.

Absolute BS and lack of respect for Few and the program. I could name several other coaches more deserving than Howard.

Few was a no brainer, pretty sad.
    America's Team!

If that's the criteria I vote Abilene Christian then. That team lacked talent (as in every Oregon State player would start over their starters) yet they upset Texas!

Edit: for the record I was rooting for OSU in every game. Loved what they did. Cheered it all. Very happy for him.
    But you can't throw out what was an average at best regular season. And quite frankly that's being charitable.
    All I said was that Tinkle deserved to be in the conversation. Sorry if you took that to mean I'd give it to him over Few. But that isn't what I said.

I'd have said the same for Few numerous times back when the Zags were overachieving with limited talent. I just have a love for overachievers. I'd have no quarrel with Few getting it, and would give it to him 100x over Howard.

Took me a while to figure out why you were so offended by my posts, which I thought were fairly innocent, and reasonable.

I'm not defending it if it's the case, but I think part of it could be what Howard did vs. expectations. Michigan was unranked (or barely ranked) at the beginning of the season and they got to the point where they were getting first-place votes by the end of the season. Obviously, the expectation was for the Zags to be one of, if not the, best teams in the nation all year long. Maybe some of the voters are looking at it as one coach got more out of his team (i.e., did more "coaching") than expected and the other did exactly as expected. I think we would all argue that it takes equally great coaching to meet those high expectations and keep the team focused, especially in conference play, all year long, but maybe when the voters expect a certain level of greatness already, it takes more for them to be impressed. That and probably just more East Coast bias / West Coast disrepect.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.