Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drew Timme and NBA stock from ESPN

Default Drew Timme and NBA stock from ESPN

The 6-foot-10 sophomore center continued his incredibly productive NCAA tournament run with a strong showing against Mobley, the potential No. 1 pick, and USC's two-point defense, the best in the country. Timme scored 23 points on 19 shots in 31 minutes during Gonzaga's blowout victory. While Mobley's 7-foot-4 wingspan did bother him at times, Timme scored from all different angles, thanks to his superior physicality, footwork, touch and aggressiveness. Timme stepped through for scoop shots against Mobley, spun past him off the bounce, outran him in transition for a bucket, dropped in jump hooks and showed the ability to find cutters on the move comfortably. Timme's ability to carve out space on the interior overwhelmed the 215-pound Mobley at times, taking the 19-year-old out of shot blocking position with deep seals. The ultra-confident Timme even flashed some defensive activity, rotating with verticality, stepping in for charges, and ripping Tahj Eaddy on the perimeter, ending most of his highlights with a celebration.

Through four tourney games Timme has scored 85 points in 113 minutes while shooting an impressive 64% from 2 and dishing out 4.3 assists per game during that stretch. Allow him to catch with two feet in the paint, and it's usually a bucket at the college level. The 20-year-old is one of only 10 players in the past decade to average at least 23 points per 40 minutes on better than 65% shooting from 2. Of those 10, four are Gonzaga Bulldogs -- Brandon Clarke, Zach Collins, Kelly Olynyk and Timme -- which speaks to Mark Few's ability to get the best out of his bigs.

But how does Timme's game fit in the modern NBA? For as productive as he is, Timme still has trouble stepping out and guarding on the perimeter like we saw consistently versus Creighton, Oklahoma, and at times against USC. He isn't the forceful rim protector needed to make up for some of those limitations, averaging just 1.1 blocks per 40 minutes. At 235 pounds he doesn't quite have the natural size of a 260-pound rebounding machine like Enes Kanter. He doesn't stretch the floor like Frank Kaminsky or fellow NCAA star Luka Garza. If Timme, a 69.4% free throw shooter, can turn himself into a highly-productive shooting big like Mike Muscala, he'll surely become more attractive to NBA scouts as it's easier to live with some of his defensive shortcomings if he's an inside-outside threat and a plus as a passer.

We'll learn more about Timme should Gonzaga end up facing a dynamic, physical Baylor team in the national title game. Can he score in the post against a body like Jonathan Tcamwa Tchatchoua? Gonzaga has been able to switch most every ball screen so far this tournament, but will Timme be able to find a way to stay in front of a jet like Davion Mitchell or a smooth shotmaker like Jared Butler?

-- Schmitz
    https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...caa-tournament

Thereís also a good blurb on Jalen Suggs. I frankly donít understand how Timme isnít moving up draft boards after being pretty much dominant in the post against every type of defense he has faced. While his shot blocking isnít elite, he is also tasked as the primary defensive big and must avoid foul trouble. He isnít an inept free throw shooter, and as he improves that area will become a consistent contributor. He doesnít have the ceiling of Domas Sabonis, but he is just as crafty in the post and just as good of a passer. Much worse teams have had more identified draft prospects than this Gonzaga squad, but this team certainly has guys who will have long NBA careers.
    Getting vaccinated isnít a political issue. Itís a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

The challenge is that the NBA has historically been all about projection, and looking at the current state of the game, his body doesn't project the way many want it to. However, there's been more of a shift towards statistical analysis, so if the efficiency is high enough, some of that may be able to be overcome. Still, the points made there remain valid. Can he block shots and be disruptive inside? Be a dominant rebounder? Guard the perimeter? Stretch the floor? Modern big men don't need to be able to do all of those, but they'd better have one or two, and that's the current concern.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Indeed, I don’t think he has star potential like Sabonis, but I’m still surprised that he doesn’t project as a rotation player. He has all the makings of an off the bench but who can bring offense to the second unit. I think he only becomes better as he adds an outside shot, and his form isn’t bad from that range. He shoots with a bit of a hitch still, but that is correctable. He is an elite post scorer, and I don’t think he gets enough credit for that.
    Getting vaccinated isnít a political issue. Itís a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Selfishly, I want him to return another year, get stronger and work on his jump shot. Also, I want him to impart his knowledge and skills to the new guys coming in next year. Namely Chet Holmgren and Walker Kessler.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

I have accepted fully that Timme does too many things extremely well for him to not go next year to the NBA.

As said above, development is done in the NBA. He may stay a year and go from a 22nd pick to a 9th pick, but if one is the 22nd pick (or whatever) we've not seen a player come back yet - that I recall - and one cannot blame them.

They can bulk him up and build on deficiencies, he can do so much that they cannot teach. Enjoy him now. He's amazing.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Tims is having as much fun as any player I’ve ever seen. Loves his life. I know there’s $$$$ out there, but it will be there next year and at best he’s a mid second rounder this year and probably next. He’s never going to be a lottery pick. Just a great college basketball player. Plus next year he’s the favorite for national POY hardware on another NC level team.

Drew is more of a finesse player not so much a big banger like is seen in NBA. To do that heíd have to gain 25 lbs and muscle up. Love him as he is but he is playing the college game.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 03-31-2021 at 07:28 PM.

I don’t agree with the mentality.... but if you can’t shoot from outside you don’t play in the nba. Until he shows that he’s got a shot from beyond the arc he’s not going any higher than the second round.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I think he’ll be a productive pro whether or not he is a first round pick. He’s an elite shot maker, a great passer, and a competent defensive player who doesn’t make a lot of stupid fouls. He is quick on his feet, and is a big part of the reason why the Zags are great in transition. In 5 years, we’ll be looking back and be impressed by how many good pros were on this special squad.

Can he become a "Face up" stretch four?

Yes.

Is he there now?

No.

What is his biggest obstacle?

The NBA likes most of a player's major development to take place before they reach the age of the typical college graduate. Not saying they don't want players to continuously improve, but older "projects" are not in fashion and if Timme isn't considered a legit "face up" shooter from every range right now, then he is considered a project. Would Kevin McHale get a rookie chance in today's game? I doubt it. Timme was born in the wrong era of basketball.

Having said that, you don't get that good without putting in a ton of work and the harder you work, the harder it is to give up on a dream. Therefore, I wouldn't put it past this kid to find a way to reach his dream and if it doesn't happen, it won't be because of a lack of work ethic. In the meantime, he is obviously enjoying every moment of his day in the sun. As he should.

He will ultimately make a comfortable living from this sport if he chooses to do so.

I once went into business as a young man and a good high school friend went into the same type of business at the same time. He eventually became a multi millionaire from his business and I eventually ended up working for a paycheck and a pension. I was a better student than he was. More organized. More efficient. More initial capital to work with. I had every advantage. The only difference between us was that he wasn't "smart enough" to know when to quit. When times were down, really down, I abandoned the venture. He kept plugging away, refusing to give up. Barely getting by. It taught me a valuable lesson. It isn't how smart or prepared you are. It is how much you are willing to endure. The efficiency and competency comes naturally from "trial and error" and all the initial advantages I had were surpassed over time. I also firmly believe that you have to have a specific personality type. Ruthlessly opportunistic.

It is possible for Drew to get there. The question is how much is he willing to endure to find out?
    Last edited by MickMick; 03-31-2021 at 06:50 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Wasn't Drew a good outside shooter in high school?

For all the talk that the NBA seeks potential, Drew is loaded with potential.

Could he bulk up? Sure, but at what cost. Could he protect the rim better? I think so, if he wasn't THE center of the Zags inside game.
    I would like to see him stay, but if he shows that he can consistently score 20 against the centers he is seeing in theses games, he is answering those questions.

Now if the question is 'Will he add 6" to his wing span"?, that bus has left the barn
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Drew made Mobley look pedestrian. If that was your first cbb game watched, you would have thought drew was the lottery pick.

IMO drew can get bucks on anyone in this world. College, overseas, NBA, whatever. The key will be that a team drafts him and allows him to operate from the top of the key and with his back to the basket.

Would Domas ever have been an all star if he stayed with OKC? I highly doubt it. They had no idea how to use him. Now with Indy, they play to his strengths. This whole idea that there is no place for a back to the basket scorer is a farce. You just need a coaching staff and organization that allows you to play that way and operates some of its offense accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I don’t agree with the mentality.... but if you can’t shoot from outside you don’t play in the nba. Until he shows that he’s got a shot from beyond the arc he’s not going any higher than the second round.
    If he develops a shot he could have a Draymond Green type of impact, IMO.

Draymond Green? The guy who routinely leads the NBA in technical fouls? The dude regularly fined huge sums by the league for outrageous on-court behavior? Surely, not the same guy who said Kelly Olynyk was a, "dirty player"? Jeez. I would hope Drew's ceiling is higher than that. And, bye the bye, there's nothing wrong with Drew's shooting form. He's already making free throws at about the same percentage (70 %)as the career average of the much despised, often injured, and (according to him) misunderstood Mr. Green.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Draymond Green? The guy who routinely leads the NBA in technical fouls? The dude regularly fined huge sums by the league for outrageous on-court behavior? Surely, not the same guy who said Kelly Olynyk was a, "dirty player"? Jeez. I would hope Drew's ceiling is higher than that. And, bye the bye, there's nothing wrong with Drew's shooting form. He's already making free throws at about the same percentage (70 %)as the career average of the much despised, often injured, and (according to him) misunderstood Mr. Green.
    Yes, but for none of those reasons (which should go without saying).

Seems like Draymond is the antithesis of Tims as player, and person. For reasons that are clear.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Seems like Draymond is the antithesis of Tims as player, and person. For reasons that are clear.
    If NIL had already passed, Drew would be a spokesman for Manscape.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    If NIL had already passed, Drew would be a spokesman for Manscape.
    Draymond, IMO, is a narcissistic, moderately talented, thug who lucked into playing with the Gun Shot Wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Draymond, IMO, is a narcissistic, moderately talented, thug who lucked into playing with the Gun Shot Wounds.
    How can you say that about the best defensive player in NBA History?

Zags unwillingness to waste fouls by attempting blocks and challenging “certain” layups could be intentional and coached.

Go Zags! Beating California teams does not get old.

The NBA is a different world ....but Drew will make a lot of money playing basketball..... in probably Europe or Asia..... for years...... he is a amazing college player ...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    How can you say that about the best defensive player in NBA History?

Draymond, meet Mr William Felton Russel. Draymond’s petulance cost the GSWs at least one NBA title.

He was a Swiss Army knife on a multiple-time champion Golden State Warriors team. Personal stuff aside, he is a good passer with really good feel for the game, and is also unselfish with the ball. He played center often for them and is undersized and not very athletic. He switches screens well. He has a better than average handle and can show off guard skills here and there. He was a gifted scorer, but unorthodox in doing so and with a modest outside shot. He’d have 20 points and you didn’t really know how he got there. I am assuming Timme is much more respectful in doing so, but they both talk a lot on the court.

From a post-moves perspective, Timme is probably closest to Kevin McHale— but the comparison ends there. I think the gestalt, minus the behavioral issues, is what me think of Draymond. I don’t know any of the new NBA players well. I’m standing by the comparison.

On this board the last two weeks I've seen Kevin Love and Draymond Green comparisons for Drew Timme. What a place.

Draymond is a way better NBA player than the last few posts have indicated and I'm even lower on him than many.

It is awesome to watch Drew use his craftiness to score near the hoop. Unfortunately that isn't the NBA game anymore. He is an incredible college player and an all-time Zag. His NBA ceiling is not especially high but I'll be rooting for him whenever he tries to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Zags unwillingness to waste fouls by attempting blocks and challenging ďcertainĒ layups could be intentional and coached.

Go Zags! Beating California teams does not get old.
    I wholeheartedly believe this is true. Why give them a "and 1" plus put your team in foul trouble especially with a lead in the game. Just play on and see if they can catch a team shooting 60%+ from the two. Going for blocks also opens up the chance for offensive rebounds.Great coaching strategy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk