Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs USC post game analysis and thoughts

Default Gonzaga vs USC post game analysis and thoughts

Gonzaga 85
    USC 66

The best game I've seen Gonzaga play this year. It was so unbelievable and beautiful. Timme and Suggs were unstoppable, and the teams passing just destroyed USC's so called awesome zone and awesome defense and awesome shot blockers. Gonzaga wasn't supposed to be able to go inside and score and that's what they did all night long. They had no answer for Timme and Suggs, and the Zags passing.

So proud of the way we played. Great coaching by Few and his staff. It was the perfect game plan. I'll close now so others can chat and I can watch the next game. I'll write more later at the half.

Go Zags!
    Last edited by Reborn; 03-31-2021 at 04:05 AM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

A+ first half, boredom induced C+ in the 2nd. Game was over at halftime.

Beautiful to watch. USC totally outclassed in all phases of the game.

Conference of Champions my a$$

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post

Conference of Champions my a$$

Go ZAGS
    I call the second half a case of taking care of business. It did get a bit sloppy, but no other complaints after that scintillating first half.

- my favorite stat......aaron cook blocked more shots than the mobley brothers combined.

(spoiler usc blocked zero shots, amazing!)

One thing about the 2nd half is that this team is smart enough to pedal the throttle just right to balance keeping the lead and not getting injured or tired. There have been instances of hot dogging in blowout games that resulted in injuries that cost them the next game (not talking Zags in particular, just other teams in general)
    From what I'm seeing in the Michigan vs UCLA game, I'm expecting more of the same from our guys in the semifinals. Put the hammer down in the first half and on cruise control in the 2nd and then an all out blitz in the championship game. Optimistic, yes. But realistic at the same time.

I WANT UCLA AND I WANT THE ZAGS TO WIN BY 40+.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

What a choke.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I WANT UCLA AND I WANT THE ZAGS TO WIN BY 40+.
    First part accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    What a choke.
    With all due respect to the coaching job Juwan Howard has done this season, the Fab Five’s legacy of choking in big games remains intact.
    Getting vaccinated isn’t a political issue. It’s a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    With all due respect to the coaching job Juwan Howard has done this season, the Fab Five’s legacy of choking in big games remains intact.
    Mean

When the chips are down and you are out of time outs, call a time out.

I was super nervous for this game until I watched Few's pregame press conference on YouTube this morning. He just really seemed to be bursting with confidence. They saw a matchup they liked. It'll be interesting to see how UCLA goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Mean
    Juwan Howard is only starting to build up Michigan. They’ll have plenty of opportunities to play the Zags deep in the tournament in coming years. I wouldn’t post that unless I knew Michigan would continue their success.
    Getting vaccinated isn’t a political issue. It’s a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

so much to talk about, but just want to spotlight Joel's response after getting smacked with no call

and Andrew matching up defensively inside with Mobley(s) and others yet denying the catch and battling for position to box out all game, won a ton of those battles

and AW and Aaron doing their thing off the bench again

what a team performance

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post

Agreed. Some sloppy moments in that 2nd half but they still didn't ever let that big lead drop too much - so that was good. So impressed with their defense in the first half (and some incredibly beautiful passing!).

Default Extended Game Highlights

Approximately 10 minutes of highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYKwZTqDZNA

USC Coach Enfield Post-Game Presser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eXoC2IR-qs

Q. Andy, what do you think it will take, whether it's Michigan or UCLA, and then maybe Gonzaga -- I mean Baylor to beat Gonzaga? I mean, how do you beat that team?

ANDY ENFIELD: Well, we didn't do a very good job, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I'm just joking. Gonzaga is an exceptional basketball team. Offensively, they're very fast. They have terrific athletes. And they have skill at every position. They're hard to guard because a lot of teams, you can sag off of one or two players at particular times, but Gonzaga is very skilled and very fast. When Timme is playing as well as he did tonight in the lane, and their shooters and their ball handling, their speed is very hard.

We did a pretty good job some parts of the game, but to answer your question, I think that whoever makes the Final Four, I think there are three teams in it now, will be a terrific Final Four.

I think all the teams right now are playing at a high level. Of course, Baylor and Houston and Gonzaga have proven they deserve to be there. So we wish them the best, and we'll see what happens. It's going to be decided on the court.
    Q. So much was made about the matchup between Isaiah -- sorry, Evan and Drew Timme. What did Timme do in particular to be so effective tonight?

ANDY ENFIELD: He's very crafty in the lane using his body, his fakes, side fake, shot fake, up-fake, and he has that little flip shot he throws in there. He played a great game tonight. I thought he finished a lot of shots in the lane. Some of them were contested, and they still went in. So I thought that was a big difference in the first half.

We missed probably six or seven either layups or jump hooks early, and it really hurt us because we were missing some of the shots we normally make, and they were making everything. And some of the guards were driving and shooting it over our bigs. Those shots were going in. We don't see that. Usually teams miss a lot of those shots against us, and tonight they made those.

At the same time, we were missing ours. That was a huge turning point for a five- or six-minute stretch, where we couldn't buy a basket in the lane and they kept making shots at the rim.

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

A final thought before I go to bed.....the calendar is about to turn to April and the Zags aren't just still dancing, they're dancing in style. What an absolute joy it is to watch this team!

Watched the game with some big time Pac 12 fans. They assured me before the game that this would be the toughest challenge the Zags would have all season. I hope so.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Juwan Howard is only starting to build up Michigan. They’ll have plenty of opportunities to play the Zags deep in the tournament in coming years. I wouldn’t post that unless I knew Michigan would continue their success.
    Yup...Id say getting to the elite 8 in your 2nd year is impressive....almost as impressive as the PAC 12 performance.

The Zag defense clearly bothered USC....contested shots are tougher to make...so is chasing the ball of a team that moves/passes as well as GU does. SC had a great year.

Love what Charles said....”the closest USC got was 0-0”....haha

Dana O'NeilFace with medical mask
    @DanaONeilWriter
    Great gesture from Mark Few. He just brought Dan Gavitt, the NCAA exec VP in charge of pulling off this Tourney, to his team. They applauded him. Rightly so.

https://twitter.com/DanaONeilWriter/...70468642041857

I loved the contributions from the bench. Watson really bothered the Mobley brothers on defense. Cook had a great game on both ends of the floor. His speed and energy were too much for the USC guards who were already shell-shocked by trying to guard our starters. Ben Gregg played a solid defensive possession to close the half.

Few's game plan was outstanding. Completely neutralized USC offensively and absolutely carved up the zone.

The versatility of Gonzaga defensively is really something to watch. The broadcast team talked a lot about their ability to switch on all ball screens, but you can't do that if your bigs are mobile, your wings aren't tough, and your guards aren't long. I love the fact that the Zags bring in their 2 primary bench guys and become even better defensively.

Again, this game stood out because there was plenty that could have gone "better" and they still dominated completely. Winning because you hit 14 3's is one thing, winning easily despite your best scorer having an off night is just so impressive. I really can't say enough about how fun this team is to watch. I'm going to enjoy the heck out of the final 4 because I know I will really, really miss watching this group of young men on the court.