Thread: Sports Illustrated's lengthy take on the USC matchup

Default Sports Illustrated's lengthy take on the USC matchup

Good article. Shows you what other teams are up against facing Gonzaga. Everything has to go right for USC.

Thanks for sharing. Good article.

Great read. Lotsa information. Thanks for posting.

Very very fair article.

USC does have a path to victory, it's just that a lot has to go right and even then it'll be close.

We need to play our A- game, it's the Elite 8, that's how it is unless playing Oregon State or something.

I don't like the match-up, but that's how it goes. Good article.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I think that Mobley is going to need close to double digit blocks or at least alter that many shots to make a dent in this GU offense. Oklahoma had a guy who blocked 5 and that was definitely felt. Mobley also is going to want to stay in the game and play offense, so he may be less aggressive than Oklahoma's player, who was really in there to defend and rebound, only. Oklahoma also had a guy in Reeves who had an epic game offensively and they still got torched.

My one fear is that we have yet to play even close to our best. And I’m not sure you can play subpar and get away with it against Evan Mobley and that size which USC has.

We have problems to combat, USC has problems as well. Execution and game plan on short notice will be interesting. GU has to limit turnovers, we were able to get away with this the last few games not so much in this one. Put pressure on Mobley with slashing and ball movement. We need to try and get Mobley in some early foul trouble. Make shots!
    America's Team!

Most of the offense in this tournament has been drive and kick or maybe one ball screen action, then reset the offense if that doesn’t work. USC hasn’t had to defend the ball reversal and constant motion of this team. If you counter the first part of the play, the Zags have a counter. And the Zags don’t run plays per se and work more off of concepts, so USC has a particularly hard scout on this one.

Few is really good at getting good 2-point looks out of zone defenses, so I’m not particularly worried about that part of USC’s toolkit. I would have relished the opportunity to exact some revenge on Syracuse this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    We have problems to combat, USC has problems as well. Execution and game plan on short notice will be interesting. GU has to limit turnovers, we were able to get away with this the last few games not so much in this one. Put pressure on Mobley with slashing and ball movement. We need to try and get Mobley in some early foul trouble. Make shots!
    USC is really going to have to stay focused on defense. I think our constant pressure and tempo will eventually wear them down mentally, if not physically. Can they hang with the Zags for 40 minutes? We'll find out tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Most of the offense in this tournament has been drive and kick or maybe one ball screen action, then reset the offense if that doesn’t work. USC hasn’t had to defend the ball reversal and constant motion of this team. If you counter the first part of the play, the Zags have a counter. And the Zags don’t run plays per se and work more off of concepts, so USC has a particularly hard scout on this one.

Few is really good at getting good 2-point looks out of zone defenses, so I’m not particularly worried about that part of USC’s toolkit. I would have relished the opportunity to exact some revenge on Syracuse this year.
    FWIW, Drew Timme has 4-5 years experience with being double teamed, and triple teamed, in the post. Mr. Manchu is going to have a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    FWIW, Drew Timme has 4-5 years experience with being double teamed, and triple teamed, in the post. Mr. Manchu is going to have a great game.
    I can guarantee Timme isn't going to get doubled this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    I can guarantee Timme isn't going to get doubled this game.
    Including when Mobley sits?

Including when Mobley sits?
    I doubt in the 5 minutes Mobley sits that they have an entirely different game plan on how to play Timme. I'm thinking we can count on the Mobley brothers/Goodwin playing Drew straight up in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    I doubt in the 5 minutes Mobley sits that they have an entirely different game plan on how to play Timme. I'm thinking we can count on the Mobley brothers/Goodwin playing Drew straight up in this one.
    Fair enough I don’t have a strong opinion either way but it just struck me as an odd thing to be adamant about. We will know in a few minutes. Either way, I hope it translates into a lot of Timme buckets.

Go Zags!

Fair enough I don’t have a strong opinion either way but it just struck me as an odd thing to be adamant about. We will know in a few minutes. Either way, I hope it translates into a lot of Timme buckets.

Go Zags!
    Drew better bring his free throw shooting mojo....he's going to be busy on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Drew better bring his free throw shooting mojo....he's going to be busy on the line.
    I sure hope so. Drew living at the line would be incredible for the Zags.