Run up the score, boys!
    Wear out SC!

-------
    Zags - 83
    Trojans - 74

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by SwainZag View Post
    I want to see them limit turnovers, there were way too many in the Creighton game. USC has size, I expect them to run that zone and double Timme most of the time, which will lead to open looks.
    Timme will not be double-teamed outside of sagging in the zone. USC doesn't have to they can guard him 1-on-1.

This is the problem.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

USC wins the opening tip, which the Zags promptly steal and turn into points. Zags don't trail after the first 7 minutes but don't win by double digits.
    Zags 78
    USC 71

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Timme will not be double-teamed outside of sagging in the zone. USC doesn't have to they can guard him 1-on-1.

This is the problem.
    If they are not careful, Timme will foul out both Mobleys. Zags- 88 usc-73

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    USC is a matchup nightmare for GU. Toughest matchup of the entire tournament. No other team would challenge GU more. I personally believe that this is the real championship game and the winner takes everything the following weekend. USC can bury you quickly and GU, perhaps Baylor, are the only teams remaining that can climb out of the potential hole that USC can put you in. You definitely need offensive burst to keep up with them.

The only matchup of the entire field I would call a toss up for GU. This nail biter goes down to the wire. I expect several late game lead changes. I give the Zags a 50/50 shot. Zags do not win without bringing their "A" game.

If there was ever a time for Suggs to have a signature game, this is it. The freshman doesn't have to take over this game, he just has to completely eliminate freshman mistakes (The ultimate difference of the game in my opinion) and still retain the lottery pick highlights.
    As usual, I agree with Mick. This one is personal. It's the Pac-12 VS Gonzaga and USC is built to end the Zags run here. The final possessions and free throws will make the difference in this one. I like the Zags chances if they score 80. If USC keeps it in the 70's, it may end ugly.

Zags 82
    USC 77
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Keep turnovers to a minimum.
    Crash the boards.
    Stay out of foul trouble. Jalen, settle down.
    Get their big boys in foul trouble.
    Run the hell out of them in the transition game.
    Hit your free throws.........................the recipe for a win.

Go zags ! Beat the Trojans !
    GU - 88 USC - 79

When the conference title was on the line and they were in the driver's seat, USC lost four of their last eight in conference, incl double digit losses to Colorado and Utah, and a nine pt loss to Arizona. In those four losses, opponents shot 41 of 78 on 3 pointers, while USC shot 22/66

USC is scary good when they're on, but they're also subject to fairly long stretches of mental lapses along with streaky shooting. They've been hot lately. If they stay hot from 3 and the Zags have a cold shooting night, that's the only way the Zags lose. Which is certainly possible.

But USC is 0-3 v Colorado this year, by an aggregate margin of 30 pts. And I think the Zags are as good as Colorado

Trojans succumb to the pressure. Zags rise to the challenge.

Gonzaga 96
    USC 68

84-78 Zags.

Something tells me that Suggs is about to have a big statement game.

To be honest, USC worries me a lot because of their length, zone defense, and how they seem to be coming together at the right time.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    To be honest, USC worries me a lot because of their length, zone defense, and how they seem to be coming together at the right time.
    Yes, if there is a team in this tourney that can beat the Zags this is it.. Probably the most worried I have been about a game in 3 years to be honest.

This one is difficult to predict. Based on efficiency metrics this is the best team the Zags have played all year. Based on eye test and how they pounded Kansas and Oregon they also look like the Zags' toughest test this year. On the other hand, USC dropped 3 to Colorado (the Buffaloes blew them out once when the threes were really falling for them), USC hasn't played a team that passes this well, and their red-hot 3 point shooting is bound to regress to the mean at some point in the tourney. I think that regression starts and ends tomorrow.

Zags 82
    Trojans 67
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger14 View Post
    Yes, if there is a team in this tourney that can beat the Zags this is it.. Probably the most worried I have been about a game in 3 years to be honest.
    Last time I felt like this before a game was Texas tech elite 8 game. Gulp.

Keys for me are if USC can guard Timme one on one with Mobley. If they don’t have to double that really hurts our ball movement. Also, does USC make those semi contested 3’a we tend to concede every game?

Oh, and can Timme stay out of foul trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by deathchina View Post
    Keys for me are if USC can guard Timme one on one with Mobley. If they don’t have to double that really hurts our ball movement. Also, does USC make those semi contested 3’a we tend to concede every game?

Oh, and can Timme stay out of foul trouble..
    Also - looks like Isaiah White has shot much better from 3 this tourney than he normally does. Does his hot shooting continue? or does he regress back to the mean?

Keep playing our smart, unified game and everything will be fine.

Gonzaga 84
    USC 71

Go Zags!!!

I think their size will force Drew to pass back out, and they'll focus on Corey. All should make for a career high from our cool French assassin.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Last time I felt like this before a game was Texas tech elite 8 game. Gulp.
    Me, too.

The Colorado games couldn't be less relevant. USC is playing it's best ball of the year. I haven't seen them play other than last night, but every analysis says they're playing their best ball of the year. They are way underseeded, this is a one against one semi-final game, probably harder test than Michigan (saying something).

It does remind me very much of Texas Tech. Our lack of another true big scorer is a real weakness. Their cold streaks and our fast break is theirs. It would be fantastic to get their Mobley center in foul trouble and if anyone can it's Timme.

And part of their "best playing of late" is they've been obscene from 3, and that has to come back to the mean at some point and if it doesn't, probably no team can beat one shooting 60% from 3, so it's got to come down to 40 at least, and ours has to be 40 or above.

Very worried about this game. Love our team's attitude, love it, USC might even be a little overconfident. I could buy a win by picking against our guys, but 80-78 Zags.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Y’all have way more confidence in the USC team I have seen all year go through lengthy scoring droughts. Do we thing GU will have that much trouble scoring against them? That must be in because usc’s offense isn’t in the same conversation level as Gonzaga’s. I trust in our boys. Way better talent overall and I think better coached.

Hi 1-4 versus their extended zone

Timme and nembhard at elbows
    Kispert Joel wings

Can pass to elbow and Timme can slash across middle forcing Mobley to decide to step up and take shooter or guard slasher
    Meanwhile wings drop for open looks

The. You use Timme to screen hi for Suggs to penetrate once again forcing low zone player to decide take penetration which leaves timme back door or Joel along baseline

Can also bring Kispert to hi ball screen and as Suggs goes toward wing timme rolls to block you have a pick and pop shot all day long or if opposite top defender elects to stay hi to defend pick and pop nembgard wide open at free throw line

Will force them back to m-m. Which then forces Mobley up to defend puck and roll pulling him away from rim protector

Their hi 2-3 extended will create alit of good open looks we just need to convert at 50% and play solid defense limiting offensive rebounds. Win by 11

Never understood why more teams don’t run screen actions against zones. Especially with two exceptional oenetratirs and two great spot up shooters
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Us 84
    Them 72

Close in first half and then a patented Zag run followed by free throws and we move on. Daddy and Miller have been shooting well and we need to defend the line. Someone must get the ball inside the zone, near the free throw line, and force them zone to collapse —- then we make the extra pass and hit shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Hi 1-4 versus their extended zone

Timme and nembhard at elbows
    Kispert Joel wings

Can pass to elbow and Timme can slash across middle forcing Mobley to decide to step up and take shooter or guard slasher
    Meanwhile wings drop for open looks

The. You use Timme to screen hi for Suggs to penetrate once again forcing low zone player to decide take penetration which leaves timme back door or Joel along baseline

Can also bring Kispert to hi ball screen and as Suggs goes toward wing timme rolls to block you have a pick and pop shot all day long or if opposite top defender elects to stay hi to defend pick and pop nembgard wide open at free throw line

Will force them back to m-m. Which then forces Mobley up to defend puck and roll pulling him away from rim protector

Their hi 2-3 extended will create alit of good open looks we just need to convert at 50% and play solid defense limiting offensive rebounds. Win by 11

Never understood why more teams don’t run screen actions against zones. Especially with two exceptional oenetratirs and two great spot up shooters
    The more I hear from the experts praising USC, the better feeling I get. Zags will get it done.

Zags 79
    Trojans 70
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Gonzaga 73
    USC 67

I love this game. I couldn't be happier than I am with this match-up. Gonzaga needs to prove that they are No. 1 and this game is definitely the game to prove just that. I see a lot of fans here have their focus on how good USC is. You are right. They are good. And it will be a tough game. But I have my sights on Gonzaga and how good we are. I know our guys will be ready to show America just that. This Zag team is special, we all know that, and America will see that tonight. Gonzaga has 3 All-Americans on our team, and honestly you could probably say 4and count Ayayi. I believe we are the best passing team in America, and that's the way to beat a zone. That, and good outside shooting. We need to shoot the ball well from the outside, and we will. Feeling the confidence.

Go Zags!
    Last edited by Reborn; 03-30-2021 at 05:51 AM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!