Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keys to beating USC

Default Keys to beating USC

I really believe Anton Watson has to have a big game on both ends of the court to assure the Zags of a big win on Tuesday. Like to see him being a disruptor on defense and to add double digits on the offensive side of the ball. The Trojans looked a bit slow in the second half and a three quarter court press might help in getting some extra positions if we can get them to turn over the ball. All hands on deck!

Run, defend the three and drive the paint.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Match their D. Oregon looked pretty unstoppable until they ran into USC tonight. It was solid D by USC. We will need the same against them.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Match their D. Oregon looked pretty unstoppable until they ran into USC tonight. It was solid D by USC. We will need the same against them.
    Oregon looked like they had never seen a 2-3 zone before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Oregon looked like they had never seen a 2-3 zone before.
    ...agreed yet Ducks played USC already this season and Altman is a great coach who had a week to prep his squad for the USC zone. Goes to show you can’t practice against USC’s length and athleticism. Keys to a Zags victory:
    - Keep USC from dominating on the offensive boards
    - Run it down their throats in transition
    - Nembhard’s midrange game..penetrate and convert that midrange jumper vs soft spot in their zone early then pick ‘em apart when they cheat up to take that shot away. Watson in high post too can cause trouble if he’s willing to pull the trigger on FT jumper and shoot w confidence.
    - two of Kispert, Ayayi, Suggs, Nembhard shooting lights out from deep.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

I agree with Abe, even though he hasn't expressed it yet.
    Our best defensive effort of the year will give us victory. We have to
    beat them at their own specialty. Best defense we will have faced.
    We have to tell kispert, watson, suggs and cook that the lay-ins they have
    made all year after faking out their defenders are going to be swatted down
    by Mobley. The have what we don't have in practice a Rim Protector.
    Oh for zach collings or brandon clark. My hopes for Pavel and Oumar in
    this regard are in the Intensive Care ward.

Rebounds, passing the ball, and long balls for the Zags. Arizona put up 81 points against USC, and Arizona Bigs had great games against Mobley Brothers, so Zags should put up that many Tuesday night. Final 4 here we come.

If someone can hit that FT line jumper that will do 50%

Oregon's guy just stood there and looked at it. Timme can hit that shot, others can (except Watson)

I read some stuff here last night about how USC is the worst match-up we could've asked for and that sounds right to me. They look like a team that can win it all. But so do we.

I think it's going to be an absolute war. I do not think we can run them out of the gym.

Except they've proven they can be beaten, quite recently even. Not sure. Maybe they will lay an egg.

But we present huge problems for them, too.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Passing

- Crisp, strong passes
    - Strong hands with the ball
    - Go at Mobley and draw fouls inside
    - Don't settle for contested 3's, attack zone relentlessly
    - Defensive rebounding

To me Defense and turnovers are going to be important. USC does turn the ball over. We need to turn those into easy fast break points and we can negate all that length and shot blocking ability. If we don't its going to be a really tight game imo.

I don’t have the PAC 12 network but just read this AM that USC played man defense 90% of the year.

Contain Eaddy and keep white from setting his feet for open looks

Timme and Watson to stay out of foul trouble

Baseline runner against zone being able to finish and draw fouls
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Default Turnovers

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Contain Eaddy and keep white from setting his feet for open looks

Timme and Watson to stay out of foul trouble

Baseline runner against zone being able to finish and draw fouls
    GU needs to clean up the turnovers. 16 against Creighton is way too high.

Get USC playing catchup. Make the Mobley brothers think they have to do more on D and get into foul trouble. Remember, Gregg and Ballo have a combined 10 fouls to give.....and I don't think they shoot free throws particularly well.

How do you beat USC? Ask Colorado. Buffs beat Trojans 3 times this season. See below-most recent game first

• 72-70-E. Mobley gets 29 but the other starters shot under 50%. Buffs made 12 three's and out-rebounded USC. Colorado had a lead and nearly lost it when USC came roaring back at the end
    • 80-62-wire-to-wire win for Colorado. Buffs had 20 assists on 27 made FG's and hit 12 threes again. Buffs were +1 in rebounds. USC had a cold shooting night. Mobley's combined for just 15 points, Tahj Eaddy was 3-9
    • 82-72-USC goes cold down the stretch. Buffs overcome a big night from Tahj (4 made 3's). E Mobley just 5-14 and fouled out for the only time this season. Buffs again out-rebound USC and turn them over 15 times despite having an average shooting performance.

Looks like USC had cold stretches in each game, their opponent out-rebounded them and made their 3's.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    How do you beat USC? Ask Colorado. Buffs beat Trojans 3 times this season. See below-most recent game first

• 72-70-E. Mobley gets 29 but the other starters shot under 50%. Buffs made 12 three's and out-rebounded USC. Colorado had a lead and nearly lost it when USC came roaring back at the end
    • 80-62-wire-to-wire win for Colorado. Buffs had 20 assists on 27 made FG's and hit 12 threes again. Buffs were +1 in rebounds. USC had a cold shooting night. Mobley's combined for just 15 points, Tahj Eaddy was 3-9
    • 82-72-USC goes cold down the stretch. Buffs overcome a big night from Tahj (4 made 3's). E Mobley just 5-14 and fouled out for the only time this season. Buffs again out-rebound USC and turn them over 15 times despite having an average shooting performance.

Looks like USC had cold stretches in each game, their opponent out-rebounded them and made their 3's.

ZZ
    My prediction which you can bookmark now is that Joel Ayayi will have an absolutely outstanding game and USC won't know how to handle him.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    My prediction which you can bookmark now is that Joel Ayayi will have an absolutely outstanding game and USC won't know how to handle him.
    That has been in the back of my mind the last 18-20 hours or so ....

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Especially if the zone us
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    That has been in the back of my mind the last 18-20 hours or so ....
    He has an amazing ability to lose people and sneak in for offensive rebounds. I am sure we've had others that did it but I don't remember anyone doing it.

If they zone, we have four guys who can penetrate off quick passing and then have someone open for a 3 - hopefully Kispert but I'm starting to trust Nembhart and Ayayi more.

I still feel like USC is the 2nd or 3rd best team remaining behind us, and it feels a bit like a Texas Tech game in that they're the defense nightmare inside on twos and probably will try to beat us up a bit.

And I'm a worry wart anyway. I tend to always elevate the other team.

It's weird we're such favorites as well as they're playing. 9 points last I heard? Some of that is uninformed money bc of our reputation, but nowhere near all. So I must be wrong in my elevation of them, some.

I am considering buying a victory. I could place the 2nd sports bet of my life, maybe $200 on USC and take the points. I near guarantee a win, perhaps a close one. Bc I will lose the bet, guaranteed. $200 would mean nothing if we win and cover, small victory if somehow ... but I wouldn't lose the bet. I just bought a FF appearance.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I hope the team mindset is the same we've had for twenty-plus years: Any time, any where. We can beat you and we have a game plan to do it. I think playing with a "let's show 'em" attitude/determination is so important in these tight match-ups. I don't want the team thinking, "we should win but they can upset us if we aren't perfect." We need the mindset of we.will.find.a.way.to.beat.you because we can.

Even if the teams match up well, I think there's a significant chasm in coaching. My money is on Few and Tommy

We beat them the same way we've beaten every team so far this year, by playing Zag basketball. Be the Zag!People are still trying to figure out what a Zag is. They will see it tonight.

Great, beautiful passes, excellent passing will destroy their zone defense
    Tough defense, play the D that made us a great team
    Hitting 3's, at least 8
    Make foul shots, 75% or better as a team
    Run them into the ground, be the tidal-wave that everyone fears...don't let up

Go Zags!
    Last edited by Reborn; 03-30-2021 at 02:44 PM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

A lot of people look at this game being a tough match up for Zag's and I agree SC has looked good. They are talented no question and the key is going to be our defense because it will create offense.
    Oregon never really pushed the ball the way the Zags do and seemed to be content with letting the zone set up and play SC in half court game. Zags offence starts as soon as the ball starts pushing up the court not giving the zone a chance to organize. Nothing can prepare you for thespeed of the Zags offense. Stops on defense will be the key. SC brings a different challenge but I think their frustrating zone won't get a chance to set up much up the game because of the Zags speed.