Thread: USC in the Elite 8

Default USC in the Elite 8

Winner to the Final Four!

Gonzaga -9. Surprised it’s not 10.

USC's length has caused everyone they have played problems. Even Oregon who has already played them and knew what to expect. I hope we can create turnovers and get out and run. Defense will be so key in this game. I am surprised how good USC is from three.
    I think this will be our toughest test this year.

Number 6 team in kenpom, and I am far more scared of them than I am of Michigan. Their zone was very effective against the Ducks, do they play it every game like Syracuse or was that a matchup based thing? Haven't seen enough SC to know for certain, but I do know that Kispert is the perfect guy to beat a zone

One major advantage for USC? Playing in an empty gym. They’ve been doing that for years.

Let's not freak out. Tough test for sure, but beatable. Imagine how they feel about facing us. We have a stud starting lineup that when clicking is ridiculous. This team will make USC not look as crisp. We will put pressure on them they haven't seen yet.
    America's Team!

3s break a zone. We need to do that. Obviously, easier said than done, but Kispert could be huge.

Tsk tsk. They must defend GU. No 1 offense and a very good defense. Not to worry. Our guards are big and are great. Corey isn’t small. We run better than anyone. We move on.

USC is gelling at the right time. Their supporting cast weren't world beaters during the regular season, but have looked top notch during the tournament. Peterson, Eaddy, White, and Anderson are all playing very well. They've got a great defensive system and the personnel to execute it at a high level. The length of their zone and Mobley's shot blocking ability at the rim is quite intimidating.

The Mobley brothers at the four and five are a tough match up for us. Drew is going to have his hands full guarding Mobley attacking off the bounce or when he's crashing the glass. He's going to have to be really smart and crafty on that end to play effective defense and stay out of foul trouble. I'm guessing we'll stick with the usual starting five, but Corey is going to have his hands full with Isaiah Mobley on the block. He's a legit NBA prospect with size who operates effectively with his back to the basket. Watson's defensive presence is going to be a massive factor in this game.

Saw a tweet (unverified) that GU is the number 1 (2 PT) offense ever according to Kenpom, and USC is the number 1 (2 pt) defense ever according to Kenpom.

I guess we’ll see...

We have our hands full and so do they. Who will execute better.
    America's Team!

That three point shooting made me cringe.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    That three point shooting made me cringe.
    They went 10/17 shooting the 3 damn near 59% which was better than their 2 point fg%. 14 turnovers, 10/12 from the FT line. We will see how good we are against USC. It will be a fun one, this team can do it.
    Last edited by HenneZag; 03-29-2021 at 02:24 AM.
    America's Team!

I don’t know if they have the scoring to play with us

Quote Originally Posted by ZaGrad View Post
    Number 6 team in kenpom, and I am far more scared of them than I am of Michigan. Their zone was very effective against the Ducks, do they play it every game like Syracuse or was that a matchup based thing? Haven't seen enough SC to know for certain, but I do know that Kispert is the perfect guy to beat a zone
    Coming into the tournament 89% of their defensive possessions were M2M and 11% Zone. When they played zone they were awesome though.

Caduceus needs to do a thorough display. No matter though, the tale is told on the court. Overloading and good shooting over a zone usually breaks it.
    We have the speed. We have the personnel. We could use another big but that’s been the case all year. Our defense is good. ESPN thinks we have an 80% liklihood of winning. So we play the game and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Caduceus needs to do a thorough display.

P.S. Working on it!

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    Coming into the tournament 89% of their defensive possessions were M2M and 11% Zone. When they played zone they were awesome though.
    Wow....I had no idea as I haven’t seen USC all year but this shocks me that they went 100% zone vs ORE given this stat.
    Zags don’t have much prep time regardless so just gotta hone in on what they can control...defensive strategy vs USC size and boxing out!!

One advantage Zags have is that since their Offense isn’t predicated on set plays they shouldn’t get too thrown off by zone vs man to man. Can’t wait to see this game!!!
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Our guards will need to rebound like mad. Timme will have a tough fight against the length and bounce of the Mobley brothers. Our big guards need to help him keep the rebounding margin under control to prevent second chance points and keep our bigs out of foul trouble.

One thing mentioned above, they looked like world beaters in part bc they shot so ridiculously well from 3.

If they had even shot their normal rate it wouldn't have been that absurd.

A team that hits 10 out of 17 from 3 is going to beat a lot of tourney teams on any night, that's reality no matter who plays.

I seriously doubt they shoot that against us, or anyone, quite that well again, that's a bit of a unicorn game it seems.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Tsk tsk. They must defend GU. No 1 offense and a very good defense. Not to worry. Our guards are big and are great. Corey isn’t small. We run better than anyone. We move on.
    I think so...USC is good and peaking at the right time but Gonzaga's ball movement is built to beat a zone.....in a zone you can't watch the ball and yoru opponent at the same time if they are both moving......I will be curious to see who Few puts in the middle.... someone who makes quick decisions and can shoot and pass the ball or drive ....Suggs ???

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Saw a tweet (unverified) that GU is the number 1 (2 PT) offense ever according to Kenpom, and USC is the number 1 (2 pt) defense ever according to Kenpom.

I guess we’ll see...
    It was clarified later. GU is the best 2pt offense ever. USC is the best 2pt defense this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    One thing mentioned above, they looked like world beaters in part bc they shot so ridiculously well from 3.

If they had even shot their normal rate it wouldn't have been that absurd.

A team that hits 10 out of 17 from 3 is going to beat a lot of tourney teams on any night, that's reality no matter who plays.

I seriously doubt they shoot that against us, or anyone, quite that well again, that's a bit of a unicorn game it seems.
    In their last two games their 3p% was ridiculously high. Hopefully the Zags help them return back to normal on Tuesday.