Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elite 8: who do we want to play?

Default Elite 8: who do we want to play?

I'm conflicted because I want USC and Oregon to lose. Triple overtime would be cool though.

Man I don’t know. Ideally Oregon since they are lower numbers, but both are looking pretty... beatable, right now

USC zone has the Oregon offense stumped. They pass around the perimeter and then hoist a 3.

USC zone is tough.

Not USC.
    America's Team!

- i do not like oregon very very much, but still i 'was' pulling for them because usc is clearly the better team.
    - i do not see usc kicking away this halftime lead. they will probably end up beating oregon by 25 like they did earlier this year.

- coaching staff will (probably already have) brake out the usc v. colorado films. somehow colorado beat usc 3 times this year.

They way we beat USC is us controlling the pace like we have most of the year. We can't play in the hands of how they want to play. Play Gonzaga Ball and be confident. We're #1 for a reason.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    They way we beat USC is us controlling the pace like we have most of the year. We can't play in the hands of how they want to play. Play Gonzaga Ball and be confident. We're #1 for a reason.
    This seems spot on. According to Bart Torvik, we're 6th in tempo and USC is 233rd. Gotta speed up the game and make smart passes.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Not USC.

Here's our game plan:

Looks like USC. Good bigs and they run. We can win this one. Could use another mobile big but we play like today and we’re FF bound. Tough game though.

Few will be happy with SC

SC looking scary. Tough D, 3 ball is falling, gonna be a tough matchup!

Gonna be a battle between teams with the number one 2pt% on O (GU) and the number one 2pt% on D. Along with the tempo differences this will be a game of contrast. Timme's gonna have to stand his ground on D and try to force Mobley to shoot away from the basket. Wonder if we'll see Ballo and/or Gregg a bit in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedster View Post
    Gonna be a battle between teams with the number one 2pt% on O (GU) and the number one 2pt% on D. Along with the tempo differences this will be a game of contrast. Timme's gonna have to stand his ground on D and try to force Mobley to shoot away from the basket. Wonder if we'll see Ballo and/or Gregg a bit in this one.
    Does Mobley shoot FTs well?

Use a bunch of bench and hack him with a double team? Hurt us offensively but maybe a way to keep Timme out of foul trouble.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Does Mobley shoot FTs well?

Use a bunch of bench and hack him with a double team? Hurt us offensively but maybe a way to keep Timme out of foul trouble.
    Maintain our defensive philosophy...guard the 3, no help defense inside, we won't be beaten by 2 pointers, our offense is too good. Watson is really coming into his own, and Aaron off the bench disrupts the opponent's point guard. As a team, USC is shooting 34% from 3, a far cry from Baylor's pace.

So here's my question: what does USC do to slow us down, when nobody has really slowed us down all year? Have they encountered a team that moves the ball around like we do? Our offense destroys zone defenses.

It will help a lot to have a guy who can hit that FT line jumper
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    It will help a lot to have a guy who can hit that FT line jumper
    Nembhard

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

So here's my question: what does USC do to slow us down, when nobody has really slowed us down all year?
    Block shots and offensive rebound.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

USC. Gonzaga could play 2 teams that were cancelled earlier this season. USC and Baylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedster View Post
    I'm gonna say no, not unless one team is up 20 points with 1 minute left. Or Timme/Watson have major foul trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by jayray View Post
    I'm gonna say no, not unless one team is up 20 points with 1 minute left. Or Timme/Watson have major foul trouble.
    We'll see Strawther before we see Ballo or Gregg. He's been working his way into the rotation. Extended TV time outs have cut into the opportunities for Julian.

ETA: However, Oumar had his best game against WVU, but that was 3 months ago.

We do what we’ve done all season . Run and shoot well. Few et al will design a defense to manage the larger Mobley. Defense will be key throughout. Remember that they her have to defend us.A big chore.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    We do what we’ve done all season . Run and shoot well. Few et al will design a defense to manage the larger Mobley. Defense will be key throughout. Remember that they her have to defend us.A big chore.
    They will be lured into playing at our pace, at their peril.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    We'll see Strawther before we see Ballo or Gregg. He's been working his way into the rotation. Extended TV time outs have cut into the opportunities for Julian.

ETA: However, Oumar had his best game against WVU, but that was 3 months ago.
    Three months and an extended layoff in February. Ballo regressed hard and he'll be lucky to get meaningful minutes next year. I watched him after he fumbled the pass in the paint and he looked dejected. I realize he's awfully young and may take longer to develop than we initially believed, but kicking your can on the court won't help your cause.
    Back to USC. Do they use a lot of zone against us? Slow down the tempo and play grind it out half-court offense? Get physical with Timme down low and try to get into Jalen's head?
    I wanted to face USC because they have this ability that Oregon can't replicate and I hate Oregon (but go Beavs!).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

USC shoots like they did tonight, and we're going to have a rough time of it. Going to be tough scoring against that zone. They've made Kansas and Oregon look pathetic, and they're not. Nervous.