Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Future Opponents 21-22

Nice summary of transfers into WCC programs

https://zagaholic.net/words/part-2-wcc-transfers

Default Coach K

Mike Decourcy on Coach K's final season at the helm of Duke MBB:

“I don’t want to go through memory lane here, or whatever. The reason I love coaching, and the reason we’ve had a continuity of excellence, is because we’ve focused on the moment, and I’ve done that with every team,” Krzyzewski told Sporting News. “And so I’m going to do it with this team. I’ve told them: Don’t talk about ‘sixth’, ‘last’, ‘doing it for Coach K.’ Let’s just do it together. Let’s see what the hell happens.”
    More at the link:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/bask...f1ge8s76xyn76z

Decourcy remains one of the best sportswriters on the planet. . .

https://balldurham.com/2021/10/23/du...scrimmage/amp/

Story and even a highlight video from Duke’s not-so-secret scrimmage with Villanova.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Mike Decourcy on Coach K's final season at the helm of Duke MBB:

“I don’t want to go through memory lane here, or whatever. The reason I love coaching, and the reason we’ve had a continuity of excellence, is because we’ve focused on the moment, and I’ve done that with every team,” Krzyzewski told Sporting News. “And so I’m going to do it with this team. I’ve told them: Don’t talk about ‘sixth’, ‘last’, ‘doing it for Coach K.’ Let’s just do it together. Let’s see what the hell happens.”

More at the link:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/bask...f1ge8s76xyn76z

Decourcy remains one of the best sportswriters on the planet. . .
    If Coach K didn’t want the focus to be on him all season long maybe he should have waited until after the season to announce his retirement. It’s gonna be nauseating.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Got my Blue Ribbon Yearbook yesterday. Cover is 100% K & Duke.

Was not pleased.
    But we don't play nobody.

Duke played a secret scrimmage against Villanova. Hereís what Coach K had to say.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/duke-play...194133111.html

I cant find where Panchero was interested in us.
    I cant find where we were interested in him.
    just asking cuz i cant remember, it must have been discussed in here at some time.
    He watched GU pound UW lately ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    just asking cuz i cant remember, it must have been discussed in here at some time.
    There were 100s of posts. Maybe check out the whelping box

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Try Banchero instead of Panchero. Seemed like it came down to GU or Duke. Many people thought he was coming to GU, Duke ended up being kind of a surprise. Waiting on Banchero was the reason we didn’t offer Ben Gregg until late. Once Banchero was off the board the offer to Gregg came quickly. We had been recruiting Gregg, but had not offered because the top target was Banchero. Gregg is an awesome consolation.

A front court of Timme, Holmgren & Banchero would have been straight up unfair. Banchero is going to have a monster season. Still, I'm excited to watch Gregg's development (he's already looking VERY good), and hoping we get a few years out of him.

I like that Hickman and Perry played with Banchero in AAU -- they have a good understanding of his strengths and areas of opportunity-- this will help us with the Duke game.

Banchero is going to excellent. I wouldn't be shocked if he's a better 1 year college player and high draft pick than (the excellent!) Chet Holmgren. Both will be top 5.

People are overlooking Duke and Kentucky since they both were so mediocre last year.

I'll tell you one thing - the Coach K & Duke love & nostalgia is going to be OFF THE CHARTS this year. ESPN would tattoo it onto the insides of your eyelids if they could. When the the Zags play Duke (and beat the Dukies by a comfortable double-digit margin btw) all you are going to hear about it Coach K. Former players, Cameron Crazy interview, all the CBB analysts, his wife, black & wife reflective tv spots, etc. The game will be an afterthought. When the Zags finally, finally reach the summit and claim their first championship, its going to be overshadowed by some super-sappy, overproduced One Shining Moment featuring Coach K walking off the court and turning the lights out or some other bull!@#$.

God I can't stand Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I'll tell you one thing - the Coach K & Duke love & nostalgia is going to be OFF THE CHARTS this year. ESPN would tattoo it onto the insides of your eyelids if they could. When the the Zags play Duke (and beat the Dukies by a comfortable double-digit margin btw) all you are going to hear about it Coach K. Former players, Cameron Crazy interview, all the CBB analysts, his wife, black & wife reflective tv spots, etc. The game will be an afterthought. When the Zags finally, finally reach the summit and claim their first championship, its going to be overshadowed by some super-sappy, overproduced One Shining Moment featuring Coach K walking off the court and turning the lights out or some other bull!@#$.

God I can't stand Duke.
    I was but am no longer a Duke fan BUT you must give credit where credit is due...liking it is another matter...
    He has the most wins by a D1 coach and in my book, the second best coach of all time behind legendary Coach Wooden...

thanks for info on Banchero, and answered my question.
    my old mind probably read it and didn't retain it

Hopefully this is the right thread, as UT is a future opponent of ours. Watching UT vs Texas Lutheran right now (it's on Longhorn Network) and the Erwin Center is a ghost town. And it's my understanding that they offered free admission to this game. I could count on my fingers and toes how many empty seats I saw at the Kennel yesterday. I guess Longhorn fans just can't be bothered.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Hopefully this is the right thread, as UT is a future opponent of ours. Watching UT vs Texas Lutheran right now (it's on Longhorn Network) and the Erwin Center is a ghost town. And it's my understanding that they offered free admission to this game. I could count on my fingers and toes how many empty seats I saw at the Kennel yesterday. I guess Longhorn fans just can't be bothered.
    As DZ said elsewhere...they are a football school so until football is over, basketball is an afterthought.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    As DZ said elsewhere...they are a football school so until football is over, basketball is an afterthought.
    This year the Longhorns are arguably the 6th best football team in the state!
    Last edited by Birddog; 11-02-2021 at 07:19 AM.

This quote from article in The Athletic posted today about Texas has me wary; yes, tons of new players to integrate into a new systemand coaching staff but D1 experience isa big advantage:

The current Texas menís basketball roster comprises 797 games played, 20,044 minutes logged and 7,931 points scored in Division I college basketball. Included on said roster are a first-team All-Big Ten player (Marcus Carr), a first-team All-Pac-12 player (Allen), a first-team All-Atlantic 10 player (Tre Mitchell), the SECís leading rebounder last year (Dylan Disu), a guy who ranks fourth nationally among active Division I players in career field goal percentage (Christian Bishop, at 64.5 percent) and two players who earned spots on various All-Big 12 teams last season (Andrew Jones and Courtney Ramey). According to the rules of the game that have not changed for the 2021-22 season, five people take the floor at a time, and there is only one ball in play, and usually only one person has it in his hands at any point.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Schedule showdowns: Gonzaga-UCLA rematch highlights Zags' four best non-conference matchups
    Jim Meehan, The Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Wash.
    Wed, November 3, 2021, 7:01 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/schedule-...020100650.html

Eli Scott Named to Preseason Lou Henson Award Watch List (LMU)

https://lmulions.com/news/2021/11/5/...atch-list.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Eli Scott Named to Preseason Lou Henson Award Watch List (LMU)

https://lmulions.com/news/2021/11/5/...atch-list.aspx

Deservedly. He's a load.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Fun article. There are some in Alabama that know they have a good basketball team. They aren't quite sure how good. Very very few know they have us on their schedule (or anyone else OOC).

We probably shouldn't sleep on Texas Tech or WA, even. And, starting the season 1-1 .500 after two games wouldn't mean the end of the world.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Fun article. There are some in Alabama that know they have a good basketball team. They aren't quite sure how good. Very very few know they have us on their schedule (or anyone else OOC).

We probably shouldn't sleep on Texas Tech or WA, even. And, starting the season 1-1 .500 after two games wouldn't mean the end of the world.
    When you’re the Top Dog, you can’t overlook any opponent. You’re going to get everyone’s best shot.