Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to Gonzaga Hunter Sallis !!!

We didn't want him anyway.

Wait. What?

But we don't play nobody.

Default "Gonzaga lands highest commitment ever in 5 Star Hunter Sallis"

https://247sports.com/college/basket...ogs-163099271/

Not sure if this is premium so I'll put in a few quotes from the piece.

OMAHA -- Over the past few years, Gonzaga has cemented its place among college basketball's elite programs. As the Bulldogs prepare to play Creighton in the Sweet Sixteen, Mark Few and his program took another step towards making sure they remain elite when five-star combo guard Hunter Sallis announced at his school that he will play his college basketball in Spokane.

On his 18th birthday, the 6-foot-5 senior at Omaha (Neb.) Millard North, who ranks No. 6 overall in the class of 2021, confirmed what had long been expected when he announced for the Zags.
    . The second player to pick Gonzaga from the class of 2021, Sallis is the highest-ranked player in the history of 247Sports to choose the Zags and joins four-star big man Kaden Perry as a commitment. His status as the top ranked player to ever choose the Zags could soon change if Chet Holmgren gives Gonzaga the nod and if that happens, they'll have a class that ranks among the top five nationally in 2021.

Regardless of what Holmgren decides, Sallis and Perry are major scores and the product of Nebraska is excited to have things over with and feels great about the decision he's made and he's hopeful that he'll be able to make an immediate impact.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

What a testament to the respect that Few has garnered. This doesn't happen unless the kids think that this is their absolute best interests, that's Few, and the guys on the team now, who Few also got.

We are very excited to have you, young man. Our advice, come and soak up the entire experience, get the maximum out of every minute like Suggs. We are so glad you chose us.

Now, Chet? Can we talk?

We are 1-0 for the weekend. It would be great to end 3-0
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Jalen and Paige on sportscenter now

Welcome aboard Hunter! Looking forward to seeing you in a Zags uniform!

Hunter shares the same birthday as #12

Let’s hope some of John’s PG skills rub off on our newest Zag!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Flat. Out. Awesome.

And Hunter ... thanks for reaching out to GU and letting the Zags know you were interested. That puts you right up there with one of my alltime favorite Zags ... Jeremy Jones (who pretty much did the same thing as a Rice University quarterback).
    This is one of my favorite stories.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    This is one of my favorite stories.
    Are there any other fun details? I missed this story the first time around.

Welcome, Mr Sallis! Hopefully we have a big game Hunter in our midst.

Super Moderator
    Here is what I KNOW about the kid (and I will be honest ... I haven’t opened a single link).

He (ie Hunter) “recruited” us. Insisted on visiting. After the heavy push (and a little homework) the “Interest” became mutual.

There’s a good chance this guy was born to be a Zag. And we didn’t know until he told us.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ
    From Hunter's thread in the Whelping Box, post #50 from the illustrious GoZags.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Congrats! Looking forward to watching your mad skills next year!

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Are there any other fun details? I missed this story the first time around.

Welcome, Mr Sallis! Hopefully we have a big game Hunter in our midst.
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ke-connection/
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Super Moderator
    Here is what I KNOW about the kid (and I will be honest ... I haven’t opened a single link).

He (ie Hunter) “recruited” us. Insisted on visiting. After the heavy push (and a little homework) the “Interest” became mutual.

There’s a good chance this guy was born to be a Zag. And we didn’t know until he told us.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ
    I specifically remember reading this when the recruiting thread started...amazing. Just crazy that a 5-star recruit would reach out!

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I specifically remember reading this when the recruiting thread started...amazing. Just crazy that a 5-star recruit would reach out!
    And here's why (my opinion) Hunter's story dovetails Jeremy Jones' .... i.e. they recruited us.
    ----
    Super Moderator

University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)

He is in my alltime Top 5 favorite Zags .... ever.

Just the way he got to Gonzaga.

A scholarship quarterback at Rice ... (and a walk on on their basketball team after a very good high school career). He went to Gonzaga's Sweet 16 victory over UCLA and the Elite 8 loss to Duke in '15 in Houston. And he flat out LOVED what he saw vis a vis the Gonzaga "Spirit" ... their interactions and the way they carried themselves in warmups, on the bench, on the floor.

So that summer he called Fewie and said he wanted to be a part of it. Mark was intrigued but didn't want to "over-sell" the opportunity. Jeremy and his dad visited GU shortly thereafter and Jeremy transferred to Gonzaga and walked on the basketball team (giving up his full ride to Rice, an excellent school).

All he has done at Gonzaga is be a great teammate, a hard worker and I was so glad when he earned his scholarship.

I think he is going to help this year ... he already has.
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...2-Jeremy-Jones

It's interesting to note that this was written/posted a couple of weeks before the Spokesman article (linked above and now below) appeared
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ke-connection/

——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    https://247sports.com/college/basket...ogs-163099271/

Not sure if this is premium so I'll put in a few quotes from the piece.
    "If Gonzaga gets Chet Holmgren they'll be among the top 5 nationally"

Huh.

If one gets number 1 and six, I'd like to meet the team that gets 2 and 5, or 3,5, 9, or - whatever. Top 5 is just fine.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Super Moderator

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ
    Welcome Hunter! what a cool story

Zags now recruit as well as anyone, better maybe, and from the WCC. Incredible, no need to move anywhere, grass as green as as it gets right here

Lets go! And welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    We didn't want him anyway.

Wait. What?

lololol post of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Kentucky board in full meltdown. Hate to see it

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    "If Gonzaga gets Chet Holmgren they'll be among the top 5 nationally"

Huh.

If one gets number 1 and six, I'd like to meet the team that gets 2 and 5, or 3,5, 9, or - whatever. Top 5 is just fine.
    Michigan and CBS heartthrob Juwan Howard. They have ESPN 7, 8, 40, 47, for now. GU has 13, 55, 72, for now.

- welcome hunter, may you be happier and more satisfied with your choice when you leave gonzaga than when you decided to come to gonzaga.

- really love the interest this board is showing hunter, just 2.5 hours after his announcement and over 50 welcomes and 8,000 reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Link? Didn't realize they were recruiting him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Link? Didn't realize they were recruiting him.
    https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/t...o-zags.341728/

Wow. Thanks for asking about a link. I'm now able to at least "read" their Board ... having been BANNED there earlier this season.

And fwiw I probably deserved the "banning" (ie I would have banned something similar from an opposing fan here).

Earlier this season (they were about 4W-9L at the time) a game ended (maybe 5 seconds left) when a UK player knocked an opponent into the 3rd row with a cheap shot, blind side shove. My egregious post was "Didn't you guys used to be 'Kentucky'? Shameful."

——-
    Some cherry picked stats

-----

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Ya, take our worst political thread this year (that was locked) and multiply that by a stupid factor of 10, and you get what is happening over there. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but at least I know not to go all in on my ignorance on the internet.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Love that this young man showed initial interest in Gonzaga.
    Love that he is in tune with the times and his eyes are wide open.
    Love the fact that GU's annually sustained (despite player turnover), high octane offense is the biggest sales pitch in college hoops.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    Ya, take our worst political thread this year (that was locked) and multiply that by a stupid factor of 10, and you get what is happening over there. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but at least I know not to go all in on my ignorance on the internet.
    Probably the most insightful post I've seen anywhere in a long time! Great advice for everyone (me including).

EDIT: Showing my ignorance already! Congrats Hunter and so excited to have you on board. Excited to see you flourish in a Zags uniform next year! Now off to the Kentucky board to see some of Krozman's advice being ignored.