Thread: Coaches salaries. Mark Few Rank #57

Default Coaches salaries. Mark Few Rank #57

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sal...ketball/coach/

What are your opinions about this?

Zag Nation is riding a wonderful wave of growth and basketball joy.
    If someone had asked me to bet before knowing, I would have bet Coach Few would be in the top 30.

My opinion is that Spokane city and Spokane County, and Zag Nation should pass the offering plate around for tommy lloyd, travis davis, mark few and others.
    My opinion is that we pay 2 bucks for every ten dollars of joy we get. Just because Few is not greedy does not mean GU should not work to put his salary in the ballpark of ranked teams. Especially when you consider he, like john stockton, does not merchandise his good name.

As incredible as anything in the Gonzaga program the last 20 years has been Mark Few being impressively content making a lot of money but well under his market value.

I don't know the numbers on the assistants but Gonzaga has had seven assistant coaches since 2000, including the three on staff now. That's a huge part in the success, too. Doing quick searches with other schools, the only good program I found with seven or less in that span was Syracuse, also with seven. My very uneducated guess is Few might defer what could be more salary for him into the pool for assistants. Something is keeping our assistants here until they either get a head coaching job elsewhere (Giacoletti, Grier, Rice) or take a step back in their career (Daniels).

Regardless, Mark Few being content with well below market salary and an incredible ability to have continuity with his staff has been as big a factor as any with Gonzaga becoming a national power.

1 of the Top 17 (and 8 of the Top 50) made the Sweet 16 this year.

Love the flurry of Coaches #54-#58, where 4 of the 5 are still dancin'. (Tinkle, Howard, Few, Hamilton).

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post

If someone had asked me to bet before knowing, I would have bet Coach Few would be in the top 30.

My opinion is that Spokane city and Spokane County, and Zag Nation should pass the offering plate around for tommy lloyd, travis davis, mark few and others.
    My opinion is that we pay 2 bucks for every ten dollars of joy we get. Just because Few is not greedy does not mean GU should not work to put his salary in the ballpark of ranked teams. Especially when you consider he, like john stockton, does not merchandise his good name.
    Biggest bargain in sports today!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

From everything I've heard, this is no where near what Few is being paid. And who is Travis Davis? Do you mean Travis Knight?

USA Today has no clue what Mark is making, very few people do. The number in the know is much smaller than you think. And the assistants are well-taken care of as well. That’s one way you build continuity, and community, within the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    From everything I've heard, this is no where near what Few is being paid. And who is Travis Davis? Do you mean Travis Knight?
    The numbers for coaches at state schools are a matter of public record. Knowing what coaches at private schools make is a mixed bag, and depends on leaks or official announcements. I'm not aware of anything along those lines out of Gonzaga.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I'd like to think that if Few is low on the list compared to other national coaches, Lloyd is high compared to his peers.

Don't mess with happy.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    I'd like to think that if Few is low on the list compared to other national coaches, Lloyd is high compared to his peers.

Don't mess with happy.
    I don't think he's that low and I suspect one can be almost guaranteed that Lloyd is among the top 5 asst coaches.

I cannot possibly imagine that this bothers Few at all. He will get a raise this year, as he should, but it's not his thing to worry about it.

Besides, living in Spokane isn't living in Brentwood, Palo Alto, etc.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Biggest bargain in sports today!
    No doubt....and second place is not even close......well maybe Suggs !!

whatever the compensation for Mark and co., they appear most satisfied with it...happy even

good on them and their understanding of the equation. I dare say it's one of the founding keys to Mark's success in basketball

I mean even if Few is being paid more, I doubt he is making for than mid 3.5 at the highest end. Gu basketball revenue wise is normally not a top 25 place.

yes, travis knight the trainer that brought KO along, sorry my 76 yr old memory failed me on that.
    I asked for opinions and I can see nobody else is as bothered by this as I am, and that's OK, that's what I asked for,
    people's opinions.
    As to knowing his actual income from all sources would be more than his ranking of 57, I know that and most people do, however, this is also going to be true of the 56 coaches getting a higher official salary than he gets. I accept that private schools' salaries are not as transparent, but would like point out all the private schools with higher paid coaches than the GU private school.
    It is ironic to me that one of the top four coaches of the land this year, possibly the coach of the year coming up, is 57th in salary. Some parents, managers, employers appreciate when a subordinate is not always clamoring for more money. One way I have rewarded these people when I was the manager was to reward them with money, a reward for willingness to take a hit for the team so to speak. And reward their integrity.
    This irony does not seem to bother others, but I am on record saying it bothers me.

This is what we call Fake News because it’s so far from accurate it’s absurd the USA Today even published it. Mark Few and the rest of the coaching staff make considerably more than what is reported here. I would say our coaching staff salaries are in the top 10-15 in the country.