Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Creighton (Sweet 16) - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Zags 103-84

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    How is Creighton hot right now? They lost three of their last six games in the Big East (including tournament) with two wins over a poor Butler team. In their last three games they were blown out by Georgetown, squeezed by 12 seed UCSB in the first round, and outlasted a 13 seed Ohio in the second round which took them shooting 43% from 3pt land. They also only play five guys primarily (over 35 minutes a game) and then two guys that get about 5-10 minutes a game. If they get a guy in foul trouble, which is likely, they are going to be in big trouble. It is going to take them having the most unconscious game they've had all year from outside and the Zags to play badly to win.

I'm honestly far more worried about the winner of USC/Oregon than this game. Not that I think it's going to be easy pickings versus Creighton, I just think the other teams are harder matchups for us in regards to size/style.

Sorry for being off topic....
    I'm with you on this. Give Mark Few and this team 5 days to prepare for a vulnerable opponent and they're going to find those vulnerabilities. Although I'll be my usual nervous self before tipoff, this one is in the bag.

Zags 97

Creighton 74

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

I like Creighton. Their university and basketball program share many of the qualities that I love about my own school. They are a smaller university in a mid-sized media market that has never allowed their size or limited resources to prevent them from fielding a competitive program. They have risen from the mid-major ranks to build a strong national program through years of excellent coaching and player development. They rarely beat the blue bloods for top recruits, but they find smart players who work hard and play excellent team basketball. They have the same desire to compete at the highest levels of this sport. They will schedule games against the toughest possible opponents.

The Big East could have invited several other universities to become the final new member in 2013. They could have selected from a pool of larger universities, schools from larger media markets, or schools that were closer to the conference’s geographic footprint. Instead, the Big East wisely invited a school with a certain swagger - a willingness to compete against the best big boys. Creighton has proven that they belong in that league.

This will be our toughest test of the season to date. Zags win 86-80.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Seth Davis, from an overview article on the S16 teams:
    I will agree whole heatedly with Seth's comments. If Creighton were to beat our Zags this week, Creighton willneed to slow the game down and control it in the half court and beat us in an ugly game, like Virginia planned on doing it before the Zags ran them out of the gym. It would probably require the Zags worst shooting performance of the year and/or Timme seeing a lot of bench time because of foul trouble. Or...have a Wichita State type game making 14+ 3 pointers and generally be red hot all night shooting.

I don't think either are probable, but it's March and anything can happen. That being said........ZAGS 91 Creighton 77

We beat them in both halves of the weekend doubleheader. On Friday, Hunter Sallis, a major Kraytin target, orals to GU; then we win on the court on Sunday, 87-69. The Brow is held to 22.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Seth Davis, from an overview article on the S16 teams:
    I like Seth Davis and seem objective imo; however, that being said...Ohio let their opponents drive to the basket time and again...One thing we have not mentioned is the speed kills and that is how Ohio got beat...yes Creighton made a ton of threes BUT their forwards and post players were just run over...GU IS NOT OHIO...not only are our players quick/speedy but they are honed to a fine point...tough to beat speed and skill, with five days to prepare!

Also for a team like Creighton, that loves to play up tempo, they won't be able to "slow down" and play a patient game...remember the Alamo (Houston Cougars 1983, when they got into foul trouble, they tried to slow down their tempo and they let NCSU get back into the game)...Creighton HAS TO PLAY UP Tempo to win...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I like Seth Davis and seem objective imo; however, that being said...Ohio let their opponents drive to the basket time and again...One thing we have not mentioned is the speed kills and that is how Ohio got beat...yes Creighton made a ton of threes BUT their forwards and post players were just run over...GU IS NOT OHIO...not only are our players quick/speedy but they are honed to a fine point...tough to beat speed and skill, with five days to prepare!

Also for a team like Creighton, that loves to play up tempo, they won't be able to "slow down" and play a patient game...remember the Alamo (Houston Cougars 1983, when they got into foul trouble, they tried to slow down their tempo and they let NCSU get back into the game)...Creighton HAS TO PLAY UP Tempo to win...
    Creighton is in the middle of the pack as far as temp goes (#144). But good luck trying to boatrace the Zags. Up the possessions, and the Zags walk away up 20+. Zags' transition defense is pretty darn good as well.

Creighton is ranked about where BYU is on the analytic sites. Their FT rate (getting to the line) is one of the worst in CBB, and so is their offensive rebound rate. If Creighton doesn't shoot a super high % from the field, I don't think they have a chance.

Our full-court trapping press was the single most impressive thing not named Timme about the last game. CU cannot like the thought of dealing with that on top of the offense.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Creighton is in the middle of the pack as far as temp goes (#144). But good luck trying to boatrace the Zags. Up the possessions, and the Zags walk away up 20+. Zags' transition defense is pretty darn good as well.

Creighton is ranked about where BYU is on the analytic sites. Their FT rate (getting to the line) is one of the worst in CBB, and so is their offensive rebound rate. If Creighton doesn't shoot a super high % from the field, I don't think they have a chance.
    - yes, and creighton is only a fair to good shooting team. 47.6 from the field, and 36.7 from three. we shoot the three better than they do.
    - creighton on average takes 25 3pt attempts and makes 9. if they are to beat gonzaga i believe they will have to shoot 50% from the field and from 3 point range as well.
    - and make at least 14 3 point baskets.

- so i want to see our kenpom 8th best defense. use our speed and length to harass shooters along the 3 point circle. i think raining 3's at plus 50% is the only way they can beat us.

Creighton shoots a lot of threes and have guys who can catch fire (Zegarowski and Ballock are fantastic shooters). Bishop is one of the best lob catchers in college basketball and a huge threat rolling to the rim. They're a tough match up for anyone when they're firing on all cylinders. Gotta trust that Few will have a great gameplan to make things difficult for them and our guys have executed at a high level all season long. I'm expecting a battle in this one

Zags by 20.

I think Oklahoma with Reaves manufacturing points and Harkless with his frightening shot blocking ability are a much more imposing force. GU already got past their toughest contest prior to the Mobley brothers.

Oklahoma had some pretty respectable scalps prior to their GU game. Creighton? Not so much. They gonna have to show me more. They won the games they were supposed to. Mostly. If not counting the beat down by Georgetown. That is about the best you can say about Creighton. Their seed should have been swapped with Loyola in my opinion. Now THAT......would be a very worrisome matchup.

I like Creighton. I pull for Creighton in the Big East and casually follow them. I believe that as a program, they have a bright future, and I see GU of about a decade ago in them. I don't think they advance further in any given bracket though (not just this one). They gonna have to take some more lumps, and build even more, brick by brick, before they get to the promise land.
    Last edited by MickMick; 03-23-2021 at 09:07 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Default One question

Is Grant Gibbs suiting up?

But seriously, I think this isn’t a good matchup for Creighton.

Suggs and Co. 97
    Double G for three 72
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Not worried about this one because of how the teams matchup. We are bigger and longer at guard. They have no answer for Timme. They don't have a bench that gives them the flexibility to game plan.

If you list Creighton's strengths, the Zags are better in those areas. Creighton has a puncher's chance but it's not likely.

I like Creighton and I'm glad they made the sweet 16. I'd be rooting for them against another team.

Dogs 94
    Birds 75
    Ihre Papiere bitte

I would add that Creighton (and please ignore if these have been mentioned before):
    - Doesn't have a shot blocker like Oklahoma. He erased 10 points. Without those, the Oklahoma game would have been a laugher, in spite of the monster performance by Reeves (one that I
    - Shoots free throws as a team at 64%. For perspective, their best FT shooter would be the 4th-best on the Zags.
    - Has limited length. Their forwards who get the most minutes are 6'7" and 6'5"(!). They have a footer, but he is a freshman and doesn't play all that much. I see them double-teaming Timme a lot, which should lead to a big game by Ayayi. It also likely means that Few can go with the more dynamic small lineups and reserve Watson as a backup. Alternatively, Watson should be good for some points as the 4 going up against their 6'5" guy. My biggest fear in the tournament is Timme foul trouble, and I just don't see that being an issue in this one.

So far so good. Don’t overplay the moment. Stay together.

GU 93
    Creighton 76

GU -- 101
    Creighton -- 77

Suggs and Ayayi stellar.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Creighton is creative and has exceptional ball movement. They remind me a bit of this Zag squad they way the share the ball and create angles and open looks for there shooters. If they're hot from 3 this will be a barn burner. Should be a close game but I think we edge them out.

Zags 87
    JAYS 81
    America's Team!

Watson and Timme have been players of the game. Something tells me that it's going to be a lot of passing to Timme, waiting on a double team, then Kispert/Suggs/Ayayi take the glory. Assuming, of course, they can game plan Timme.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    We beat them in both halves of the weekend doubleheader. On Friday, Hunter Sallis, a major Kraytin target, orals to GU; then we win on the court on Sunday, 87-69. The Brow is held to 22.
    Rare prediction by the Jazz!

Go Zags!!!

Zags keep the double digit win streak alive 88-75
    Keeping real estate real in the Wenatchee Valley since 1991.

Trap game....just win and advance...

I think they continue to cover the spread.

Zags - 85
    University of Creighton - 69
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

gu 89-67

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Trap game....just win and advance...
    I really don't know if that applies to this particular Gonzaga team, so focused. But, it is the classic definition of a trap game.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

At this point in the tournament it's about surviving. The games may not be perfect, but we need to scrap, play with more heart, composure and hope bounces go our way. One game at a time mentality, any of these teams can win.
    America's Team!