Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Creighton (Sweet 16) - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Default GU vs Creighton (Sweet 16) - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

On to the Sweet 16 for the Zags. Zags face a tough Creighton team out out of the Big East.

What are you expecting to see in the Sweet 16? What are you hoping to see? Thoughts? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Just win, baby.

I’m expecting a close game. Creighton can score in bunches and have a talented and experienced starting 5 that can hang with anyone on a good day. I’m thinking this will be this year’s (offensive oriented) equivalent of the West Virginia S16 game from the 2017 run. A tough test for our squad, we’ll need to bring it.

92-79 Zags defense is better than expected and their offense is explosive.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Zags 89 -75

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

blue jays 70
    bulldogs 88

GU 84
    Creighton 72

Just want the Creighton players and staff to be able to correctly pronounce Gonzaga..............it's been 20+ years straight for God's sake. After the guys dismantle them in the S16 and the talking heads blame Covid, I'm going to pronounce it Cryton.

Zags 87
    Cryton 72

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    ... I'm going to pronounce it Cryton.

Go ZAGS
    In all seriousness, isn't that how it is pronounced? Like Edward Creighton?

I'd like the Creighton that got smoked by Georgetown to show up.

Zags 84
    Jays 59
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Angry Four Games

Score, Score More, a poem
    <ahem>
    This's for real,
    This's the word,
    Run up the score,
    De-feather that bird!

-------
    Zags - 89
    B'jays - 71

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Bulldogs - 84
    Blue Jays - 80

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Just want the Creighton players and staff to be able to correctly pronounce Gonzaga..............it's been 20+ years straight for God's sake. After the guys dismantle them in the S16 and the talking heads blame Covid, I'm going to pronounce it Cryton.

Zags 87
    Cryton 72

Go ZAGS
    Yep, I saw the interview with Zegarowski and he couldn't pronounce Gonzaga. I'm now hoping GU pounds them and we beat them more than USC beat Kansas. If GU shoots like they did against Oklahoma then as Dick V. always says, get the PeptoBismo ready because we are going to need it. Creighton is hot right now, GU needs to step it up a notch.

I actually think this game is a better matchup for us than Oklahoma. Creighton plays somewhat like us and relies on the 3pt shot (which gives them a chance at the upset). However, I think we can put the perimeter pressure on them to make those looks harder and I expect Timme and Watson to dominate inside. I don't expect this to be a nail biter unless Creighton hits well over 40% from 3pt land.

Zags - 91
    Creighton -75

Zags 84
    Creighton 78

Quote Originally Posted by jayray View Post
    Yep, I saw the interview with Zegarowski and he couldn't pronounce Gonzaga. I'm now hoping GU pounds them and we beat them more than USC beat Kansas. If GU shoots like they did against Oklahoma then as Dick V. always says, get the PeptoBismo ready because we are going to need it. Creighton is hot right now, GU needs to step it up a notch.
    How is Creighton hot right now? They lost three of their last six games in the Big East (including tournament) with two wins over a poor Butler team. In their last three games they were blown out by Georgetown, squeezed by 12 seed UCSB in the first round, and outlasted a 13 seed Ohio in the second round which took them shooting 43% from 3pt land. They also only play five guys primarily (over 35 minutes a game) and then two guys that get about 5-10 minutes a game. If they get a guy in foul trouble, which is likely, they are going to be in big trouble. It is going to take them having the most unconscious game they've had all year from outside and the Zags to play badly to win.

I'm honestly far more worried about the winner of USC/Oregon than this game. Not that I think it's going to be easy pickings versus Creighton, I just think the other teams are harder matchups for us in regards to size/style.

Sorry for being off topic....

Quote Originally Posted by slickguser View Post
    In all seriousness, isn't that how it is pronounced? Like Edward Creighton?
    Slick - I've always heard pronounced Crayton, as in crayon. Maybe it's me............

Go ZAGS

Going to get this one in this time. Had major phone issues over the weekend and had an uber-busy weekend... so I forgot to put up a score.

Think this is where the double digit win streak ends. Think the Zags pull this one off though

Zags 91
    Jays 82
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I hope to see Jalen get back to playing like a top 5 pick. Idk if it's the pressure or what, but his shooting has not been good. Agree with a previous poster that USC/oregon scare me more than crieghton.

Zags 87
    Jays 78

Classic Trap Game. Think Northwestern and West Virginia in 2017. This Creighton team will bring the fight like Loyola did to Illinois. Their last ten games are not impressive but their body of work shouts upset potential. Gotta be all business in this one.

Zags 87
    Jays 78

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

4 of their starters returned this year. Experienced Big East team. They play quite a bit like us with very good personnel. Matchups are spot on. This one is likely to be a very close contest. I think Reno's score is just about on the money. If they shoot well, we could be in trouble. Key to everything is their guard Marcus Sagarovski.(tough to spell) He's a pro. They run like us, they defend like us. If our shooting goes south, we're in trouble. A very solid group from a very tough conference.

95 Gonzaga
    70 Cryton

Seth Davis, from an overview article on the S16 teams:

Creighton: Can the Bluejays score enough to shock the world?

This is the best defensive team Greg McDermott has coached (32nd nationally in defensive efficiency) since his 2006 Northern Iowa team, but the Bluejays are still an offensive-oriented team that likes to get out and go. When they are making 3s as they did against Ohio on Sunday (9 of 21), they can be tough to beat. They also did a great job attacking the rim, outscoring the Bobcats in the paint by 10 points.

That’s all well and good when you’re playing Ohio. Gonzaga is an entirely different matzo ball. The Bluejays are slower than people probably suspect (they’re ranked 143rd in tempo), but a team’s best chance to beat Gonzaga is by manufacturing a slow, grinding, half-court game, and that is not in Creighton’s DNA. The only way for the Bluejays to prevail is by beating Gonzaga at Gonzaga’s game. It’s not impossible, but it will require a monumental shooting effort.
    Gonzaga: Can anyone get to the Zags’ bench?

Gonzaga dominated Oklahoma on Monday and won going away, 87-71. Yet Mark Few only used seven guys, and one of them, 6-1 senior guard Aaron Cook, played seven minutes. It’s notable that Few has a few promising freshmen at the end of his bench, but he doesn’t trust any of them enough to send them to the scorer’s table, even in the last few minutes of a lopsided win. It looked for a while that Oumar Ballo, a 7-foot center, could have an important role, but his minutes have tapered off dramatically over the last two months.

This is the closest thing Gonzaga has to a discernible weakness. Will it ever be exposed? If it is, it’s unlikely to be because of fatigue. These guys are young and they’re used to playing heavy minutes, and NCAA Tournament games have longer timeouts and halftimes. But if one of the starters rolls an ankle or gets into foul trouble, Few may have to put someone in the game he’d rather leave on the bench. If that’s the case, particularly if it’s 6-10 sophomore center Drew Timme, things could get interesting.

One of the downsides of being a Gonzaga fan is that if they're not up by 15 or more, it feels like it's tied.

I expect a tied game.

GU 85
    CU 75
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Zags 92
    Jays 79
    GO ZAGS!!!