Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lagans Hired by Portland

Default Lagans Hired by Portland

You guys would know more about this than me about the fit, but seems like Shantay Lagans did a great job with EWU. I imagine portland opened up the wallet a bit. Seems like a great hire from the outside. Thoughts?

Public vs private, academics vs tier two state school, better conference dunno beyond that

Foolish. Cupboard full next year qualify and could land good job
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

don't know if there is any truth to this , but the twitterverse is saying EWU could be leaving D1 in the near future which could have prompted this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    don't know if there is any truth to this , but the twitterverse is saying EWU could be leaving D1 in the near future which could have prompted this.
    2025 is the discussion point
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    Makes sense. I’d imagine the Covid related financial pressure on higher ed state schools in WA is immense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Foolish. Cupboard full next year qualify and could land good job
    Right? Aren’t both groves back?

Talk about selling yourself short. Terrible decision by Mr. Lagans.

Maybe greener groves for the Grooves’ down the road?

Eastern has always had financial...issues. COVID nearly killed them outright. I see no reason to keep paying D1 prices for what is obviously and honestly a D3 school.

I mean, he could bring the Groves brothers with him couldn't he?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Oo, something to consider. That'd sure beef up Portland's talent right away. Solid WCC-level bigs upon which to build.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Oo, something to consider. That'd sure beef up Portland's talent right away. Solid WCC-level bigs upon which to build.

Kelly would immediately vie with Tims for preseason MVP

:]
    Kelly would immediately vie with Tims for preseason MVP

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Right? Aren’t both groves back?
    Yes and the whole team is as well. Starters for sure. With this said, it’s a golden opportunity for an up and coming coach.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Yes and the whole team is as well. Starters for sure. With this said, it’s a golden opportunity for an up and coming coach.
    Imagine him bringing both groves with him and Portland immediately moves to a top 5 team
    In the wcc

One of the guards for EWU - Davidson? - has already announced he is entering the transfer portal. Doesn't say he's going to Portland, but he's leaving EWU.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    One of the guards for EWU - Davidson? - has already announced he is entering the transfer portal. Doesn't say he's going to Portland, but he's leaving EWU.
    Davidson’s best player Kellan Grady leaving too....top 5 pickup

Y'all are acting like Portland is equivalent to EWU.

I guarantee they are paying him more, will give him more resources and better exposure than EWU.

But can he keep winning at Portland like he did at EWU? If Portland continues to be a cellar dweller, his career will/may take a serious set back. If he keeps winning for another year or two at Eastern, he would probably get better offers than UP.

Default Ewu

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    But can he keep winning at Portland like he did at EWU? If Portland continues to be a cellar dweller, his career will/may take a serious set back. If he keeps winning for another year or two at Eastern, he would probably get better offers than UP.
    Eastern is broke. Recently paid for financial analysis off athletic department and dropping down ncaa tiers. Football considered on chopping block as well. Sad times. I wish Shantay well at Up. He has the energy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Imagine him bringing both groves with him and Portland immediately moves to a top 5 team
    In the wcc
    Would be nice, but it doesn't sound like they have any immediate plans to follow him for now (but hey it's still March, anything can happen.)

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ay-legans-lea/

“I am completely happy for (Legans),” Groves said. “He has shifted the program around. It was an honor and blessing to play for him. It sounds like it’s the right situation for him. Sad to see him go, but happy for him.”

Groves hopes the Eagles make an in-house hire.

“I would definitely think (Riley) should be the No. 1 guy,” Groves said. “He has worked hard, and I think he deserves it.”
    Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    I mean, it's a step up from whatever the Porter era was. PilotNation has noted that this is the first D1 coach we've hired with a positive W-L record since Rob Chavez, the coach that took Portland to the dance most recently (..."recently" as in exactly 25 years ago, 1996 :V)

Also we just had immediate success on the woman's side with a formerly successful D3 coach winning the WCC championship last year in his first year.

Also, yeah, Eastern is broke. We paid roughly 3x the amount for Porter than what Legans was being paid.
    SOUND VOLTEX EXCEED GEAR

伝説になんてならなくていい。It does not need to become a legend.
    常に新たな礎を作っていけばいい。It should always make new foundations.
    これからもずっと。Always.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Talk about selling yourself short. Terrible decision by Mr. Lagans.
    If the talk of EWU moving to D3 is true than it’s a dead end job now; how do you recruit D1 talent to a team everyone knows is at best seriously considering dropping down to D3? I give him credit for thinking bog picture; maybe he likes his chances of getting UP into the dance from WCC vs going to a tougher conference. Also, if he takes that doormat of a program and lifts it up to a tourney team in 3-5 years then he will land any big time job he wants...if that’s what he wants. Maybe dude has fallen in love w the PNW.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

This has nothing to do with the current issues. Somebody at Portland stepped up and Legans is getting a 5X increase in salary. EWU does not have that kind of capital. That being said they still are playing at for 3rd or 4th place if BYU is still in the conference and RB is still at St. Mary's. Bottom line this was about the money.
    I highly doubt the Groves go to Portland. If they leave it will be to be somewhere like WSU. It makes no sense for them to go to U of P especially if they want a chance at playing in March.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    If the talk of EWU moving to D3 is true than it’s a dead end job now; how do you recruit D1 talent to a team everyone knows is at best seriously considering dropping down to D3? I give him credit for thinking bog picture; maybe he likes his chances of getting UP into the dance from WCC vs going to a tougher conference. Also, if he takes that doormat of a program and lifts it up to a tourney team in 3-5 years then he will land any big time job he wants...if that’s what he wants. Maybe dude has fallen in love w the PNW.
    You're right. I have no idea what's going on at EWU. Sometimes you need to just get out. But UP seems like a perpetual dead end. The TV guys were ranting and raving about him being an up and coming coach it's just unexpected to hear he's now going to Portland of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    This has nothing to do with the current issues. Somebody at Portland stepped up and Legans is getting a 5X increase in salary. EWU does not have that kind of capital. That being said they still are playing at for 3rd or 4th place if BYU is still in the conference and RB is still at St. Mary's. Bottom line this was about the money.
    I highly doubt the Groves go to Portland. If they leave it will be to be somewhere like WSU. It makes no sense for them to go to U of P especially if they want a chance at playing in March.
    After the performance they put on I think they could do a lot better than WSU...