Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proud of Watson

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    Watson changed the game. Timme early on just couldn't handle Reaves on the switches, Watson could. Also noticed that Few started moving Timme around on defense, making it harder for Oklahoma to find him for a pick and roll. At one point we had Corey guarding Manek, and Watson guarding the big kid while Timme was on the 3 guard. Gotta give Krueger credit though...he just kept rerunning picks until he forced the switch he wanted and had Timme isolated out high. Watson's ability to move his feet and guard out there is crucial in my view.
    Do you (or anyone else) know why we continued switching Timme onto Reaves in the pick and roll? Reaves was exploiting that match up almost every time and I felt we could have hedged and recovered effectively quite a few times. I was scratching my head as to why we weren't making that adjustment.

No criticism of Timme, but Watson is very clearly the better perimeter defender of the two. He had some key minutes for us in both halves that helped turn the tide.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    Do you (or anyone else) know why we continued switching Timme onto Reaves in the pick and roll? Reaves was exploiting that match up almost every time and I felt we could have hedged and recovered effectively quite a few times. I was scratching my head as to why we weren't making that adjustment.
    It looked like the primary gameplan. I think the direction from Lon was "If Timme is guarding you, go pick for Reaves"

It was frustrating to watch our switching at some points because after the switch we were sticking to players that were not an offensive threat (like Kuath). I'm not sure it mattered a ton with the way Reaves was shooting but we need to know their players.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

what i saw was personnel dependent. When Manek was setting the pick, we basically had to switch. Reaves is so smart about stretching out the hedge and Manek is a dangerous pick and pop guy. He nailed that first 3 of the game off of a hedge, and we immediately started switching when Manek set the pick. We hedged against their big lanky guy (can't recall his name) and Krueger started setting screens with other shooters/ball handlers as Few moved Timme around. It was a fun chess match. I thought the hard trap was a smart move...changed it up quite a bit. Reaves is just really good at stretching out the hedge and giving his pick and pop guys room to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    It looked like the primary gameplan. I think the direction from Lon was "If Timme is guarding you, go pick for Reaves"

It was frustrating to watch our switching at some points because after the switch we were sticking to players that were not an offensive threat (like Kuath). I'm not sure it mattered a ton with the way Reaves was shooting but we need to know their players.
    what i saw was personnel dependent. When Manek was setting the pick, we basically had to switch. Reaves is so smart about stretching out the hedge and Manek is a dangerous pick and pop guy. He nailed that first 3 of the game off of a hedge, and we immediately started switching when Manek set the pick. We hedged against their big lanky guy (can't recall his name) and Krueger started setting screens with other shooters/ball handlers as Few moved Timme around. It was a fun chess match. I thought the hard trap was a smart move...changed it up quite a bit. Reaves is just really good at stretching out the hedge and giving his pick and pop guys room to shoot.
    Appreciate the analysis! Don't think I was paying enough attention to who was setting the screens. Reaves played an incredible game, I guess you're going to have to pick your poison when a guy is in the zone like that.

Appreciate the analysis! Don't think I was paying enough attention to who was setting the screens. Reaves played an incredible game, I guess you're going to have to pick your poison when a guy is in the zone like that.
    Late in 2nd half as Sooners were reeling Zags in a bit Reaves rose up and drained a 3 from spot on the court where sunlight shined right on him and the commentator noted that. That moment gave me goosebumps; I hope someone got a picture of that to give to Reaves.

As amazing of a performance as Reaves had and as much of a wow factor as he created, what’s crazy is that Timme was more dominating statistically yet somehow didn’t seem that way.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

there's no place like this board for Zag basketball gold nuggets on what's happening, so cool

AW been doing this consistently now on defensive end, so cool too, along with his growing confidence on the other end

Back to the topic of Watson. It seems to me that the lightbulb has come on for him at just the right time. We all know that he has huge upside and he had moments in the past where you could see that. I would say these last two games have been the best stretch for him, by far, all season. He totally changed the game in the first round when he came in and his impact was felt in the second game too. Not only does it seem like he's into the offense more than before but it seems like his confidence is at the top of his game.

I've been happily surprised and very impressed with his two games so far. He may be that final X factor in getting to the final game!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Back to the topic of Watson.
    Looking at KenPom, his season numbers look pretty good from an efficiency standpoint.

Offensive Rating = 45th nationally at 124.7
    2FG% = 5th nationally at 71.9%
    Blk% = 319th nationally at 3.3%
    Stl% = 120th nationally at 3.2%

I wish he rebounded a little more like Timme than Kispert, but for a glue guy you can't really ask for much more other than an increase in rebounding. This will be only the second time a Zag player finishes in the top 500 in both BLK% and STL% (Brandon Clark 2019 11.2%/2.3%) and the third time one finished with above 3% in each category - though the other two times were DEEP reserve players with virtually no minutes played (Anton Watson 2020 - so him again - and Jeremy Jones 2017). So effectively, he's the first Zag to get at least 3 and 3 % in the KenPom era. Tillie was sort of close once and Violette was kind of similar in three of his seasons but his steal percentage topped out at 2.1%. Harris was close at 2.4/2.6% one season.

Anyone criticizing his rebounding numbers will shut me up pretty quick, but otherwise, he is a rare and versatile defender that doesn't take a lot of shots away from others, and when he takes them is top 50 in efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Back to the topic of Watson.
    when did it stray? lol

some here have literally been talking about Watson's ability in the screen roll D, how teams target Drew in the screen roll D, all of the things Few and co. do depending on the matchups to defend with Drew in the screen roll D, and how AW's entrance into games has been changing games game after game after game.......

welcome to the party!