Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Game Thoughts and Ana;ysis: Gonzaga vs Oklahoma

Relentless

Enjoy this team. We have at max 4 games left. What a ride.

Oklahoma's center covered a lot of ground on those week side blocks of his, and erased a lot of Zag points in doing so. He did a great job and I hope he's the only guy we see like that from here on (I haven't looked that far ahead). That said, I got frustrated because the refs let him put a body on our guards a couple of time out at the 3-point line toward the end of the game, impeding their movement, which I thought were obvious fouls. The Zags came up empty on one of those possessions. There were several upset-worthy 50-50 calls that went against the Zags that, along with Reeves' amazing effort, could easily have spelled doom for many other Zag teams. To still win by double digits is incredible, to me.

Smile

Reaves was superman! Whatta player! Unfortunately for OU, the Zags have three Supermen (and in any given game, a couple more). But Reaves was really good. Sort of an Oklahoma version of Adam Morrison.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    There have been several people saying that to advance, we will need more than just one player to go off.

Kispert had 16 on 4-8 from 3. Suggs had 16, but didn't shoot the 3 well, he did draw a lot of fouls. Ayayi was just shy of his own double/double.

Sometimes I think we are spoiled. Oklahoma DID hold the Zags to only 4 in double figures.
    We are spoiled and Zags did have four players in double figures but if you look at the combined stats of Kispert, Suggs and Ayayi, it’s a fair point to say Zags will need several more players step up and have great games in order to advance.

13-32 fga (7-19 3pt fga)
    3 assists
    7 turnovers
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Yesterday on local OKC TV, Dean Blevins (former OU quarterback and diehard Sooner) and dean of the local sportscasters said (and I paraphrase) "Gonzaga is to college basketball as Alabama is to college football, if you are gonna suit up against them you had better bring your "A game" because a "B+ " effort just ain't gonna cut it". High praise from a Sooner as Sooner fans are loathe to blame themselves for anything when it can be blamed on the refs etc.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    We are spoiled and Zags did have four players in double figures but if you look at the combined stats of Kispert, Suggs and Ayayi, it’s a fair point to say Zags will need several more players step up and have great games in order to advance.

13-32 fga (7-19 3pt fga)
    3 assists
    7 turnovers
    We are incredibly spoiled, after reading about teams like Iowa, who haven't made the Sweet Sixteen since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Yesterday on local OKC TV, Dean Blevins (former OU quarterback and diehard Sooner) and dean of the local sportscasters said (and I paraphrase) "Gonzaga is to college basketball as Alabama is to college football, if you are gonna suit up against them you had better bring your "A game" because a "B+ " effort just ain't gonna cut it". High praise from a Sooner as Sooner fans are loathe to blame themselves for anything when it can be blamed on the refs etc.
    On the local CBS news at 6 yesterday, they made a point to identify Drew Timme as hailing from Richardson Pearce HS...loved it.

Except for the obvious reason, Reaves was pure pleasure to watch — scoring in any number of ways: the bomb, the slash, the pull up. He seemed to score at will. But it is a TEAM sport and OMG do we have a team!

Even the Seattle news has finally caught on to the Zags a little. The CBS affiliate here has had a half-hour special mostly committed to the Zags after the conclusion of the CBS game broadcasts. On monday they aired a 2-3 minute interview with the SI editor to discuss "The Program" cover story and how it's the most popular issue SI has printed in many many years. Amazing story and really well covered by CBS here. If I can find it I will post it.

Edit: can't find it yet, hope they post it today. In the meantime, here is a story/interview they aired on Sunday with Rob Sacre: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/vid...-542e7dd5d6a1/
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

agree, it is surprising to see seattle sport media finding good things to say about the zags,
    but its never WE are strong in the NW or WA state, GU represents the region.
    It is still, and maybe always will be THEY, over there in Spokane, are having a great year, amazing huh?

Hardly surprising....when I was working and living over there they thought the eastside was Bellevue, Kirkland Redmond......Eastern Washington was considered Indian Territory...

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Except for the obvious reason, Reaves was pure pleasure to watch — scoring in any number of ways: the bomb, the slash, the pull up. He seemed to score at will. But it is a TEAM sport and OMG do we have a team!
    IT is amazing. I thought - rightly, I still think - that we played about our B+ game. And that is not a knock on our team, the opposite, they are even better than they showed when everything is really clicking.

And last night my brother texts me: "I am sure that there have been better college teams but I've never seen one" - he's in his young 40s.

But it's still a one game season. Nothing is guaranteed, including the next game.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

The Oklahoman Game Story: https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spor...ss/4799884001/

On the day the Sooners exited the NCAA Tournament and became the Zags’ latest victim in an undefeated season that looks more and more likely of culminating with a title, there were lots of reasons OU didn’t keep pace with Gonzaga. De’Vion Harmon’s absence. The Sooners’ first-half turnovers. The Zags’ free-throw advantage.

Then there’s the fact that Gonzaga is dang good. Unbelievably good.

Mark Few’s guys deserve every bit of praise that they’re getting. If the perfect record and the overall No. 1 seed wasn’t enough of an indication of how superb the Zags are, that excellence was on full display Monday.

Consider, the Sooners played well, even had their best performance since that double-overtime victory at West Virginia, and except for a 17-second stretch, they trailed by double digits for the entire second half Monday.

The Zags don’t just have great talent. They have great talent that runs deep.

“They just keep coming at you,” Sooner coach Lon Kruger said.

Classy Kruger. Vs any number of other dopey D1 coaches.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Hardly surprising....when I was working and living over there they thought the eastside was Bellevue, Kirkland Redmond......Eastern Washington was considered Indian Territory...
    <snort>

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    I love that quote from Coach Kruger, "They just keep coming at you." And the one by person who wrote the article, "The Zags don't just have great talent. They have great talent that runs deep."

These are terrific descriptions of the Zags this year. It really must be something to play against them and to feel that TIDAL WAVE that just keepin at you. It's not just the talent of the starters. but like the writer says, the talent is deep. In comes Watson and Cook to straighten up the team on defense because the starters were not getting the job done. And they got it done. And if it isn't Timme hitting you with classy inside moves, it's a sluge hammer hitting you with another 3 pointer by Kispert. And if that's not enough, Suggs will hammer you with his drastic power to get to the rim. He's just so strong and agile.

Great article.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rennis View Post

Edit: can't find it yet, hope they post it today. In the meantime, here is a story/interview they aired on Sunday with Rob Sacre: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/vid...-542e7dd5d6a1/
    Reinforcing my belief that Rob Sacre is still one of the greatest (and biggest) personalities to come through GU.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - this was a good game for gonzaga, that is oklahoma played well, played tough, played hard all game long. that is good medicine for us.

- watson had good moments on defense, like him on the floor. my one criticism is he needs to move quicker and stronger to the basket. he was blocked 3 times and i bet hands down he has been blocked more at the rim than the next 3 players on the team. stronger, quicker please.

- go ohio!
    Yeah, Watson is stronger and quicker on defense than rolling to the hoop. He doesn’t seem to notice where the defense is and he’s definitely more tentative. I hope the shooting game slows down for him.
    Bonjour tristesse.

13 assists on 29 made FG’s. Sub 50%.

Despite Timme’s great individual performances, the ball was sticking more than is usually does.

Zags still haven’t played their best but they will need to if they want to keep dancing

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    13 assists on 29 made FG’s. Sub 50%.

Despite Timme’s great individual performances, the ball was sticking more than is usually does.

Zags still haven’t played their best but they will need to if they want to keep dancing

ZZ
    I noticed that, too. Have to right that ship against Creighton.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    We do have Native American communities in Eastern Washington who are ardent basketball fans. Wellpinit and Inchelium reservation schools north of Spokane field teams. Driving to Inchelium to watch a game requires a trip on a small, (not reassuring), ferry across the Columbia River in winter. Sherman Alexie writes about basketball in several works. In high school he traveled 22 miles from Wellpinit in order to play on Reardan’s team. He was the only Native American kid in the school.

Sherman Alexie talking about basketball: https://youtu.be/CJdXX0BXWmI
    Bonjour tristesse.