Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Game Thoughts and Ana;ysis: Gonzaga vs Oklahoma

Default Post Game Thoughts and Ana;ysis: Gonzaga vs Oklahoma

Gonzaga 87
    Oklahoma 71

Whew. That was one tough, physical game. Oklahoma came at us in the later part of the second half with everything they had, and we need to give them kudos. They played very good and gave the Zags all we could handle. I can see now why Oklahoma never got beat by very much. They're tough, and have some good offensive players.

Timme was just awesome today. I thought he had his best game ever, 30 points and 13 rebounds, and just played so tough against a tough team. I've always seen him as such a finesse player, but today I saw his tough side. He was what held us together in the last ten minutes while Oklahoma was going at us with all they had. Kispert got 16 and made 4-8 three pointers. And one was a huge one in the last 2 minutes. Suggs got 16, and made some good shots, but honestly, I felt he paid poorly, and especially on defense and his turnovers on very poor decisions. He made 5-13 shots ands 1-6 from behind the arc. I thought his decision making was very poor. But a little better than his first game.

Honestly, I felt the team played best when Watson and Cook were in, because we played really good defense. Watson once again was very big on D, and Cook did a great job on their guard while he was in. I was a little disappointed that Few did not go with Cook down the backstretch, but he did go with Watson on D.

I thought the 3 point shooting was good accept for Suggs (1-6). We ended up making 8. I thought the big stat was free throw shooting. Gonzaga made 23 FTs and Oklahoma 8. Gonzaga shot 83% from the foul line. Gonzaga also only had 10 turnovers, 4 by Suggs. I felt that was a very good stat for the team, as it's important to protect the ball. The rebounding was also very good. We outrebounded them by 8. good tough work on the boards.

It was a very tense game, which was good for us. I felt it would be a tough game as I watched a lot of videos of Oklahoma. They were as tough as I thought they'd be. On to the Sweet 16.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Timme was aces. Joel was nice. The rest underperformed, some badly. Free throws and Watty’s held ball stanched yet another Okie run. We always get hurt by a stud shooter. Beats me why, also beats me why we don’t press more.

Thank Greg Marshall for Reeves being at OU

[exhale] Felt tighter than final score. OK made one more FG and had a 1% edge in FGs made but we made up for it by hitting more 3Ps and a high percentage of FTs. Nice to see us win the rebounding battle and limit our TOs (OK has been living off TOs).

I thought our defense was terrific despite Reaves getting big buckets. He had to work hard for most of them and got some lucky rolls. I thought our defense strategy of staying out of foul trouble/not being overly aggressive on OK drives once they turned the corner and got a 1/2-step advantage was smart. We built and held enough of a lead that we didn't need to foul every time they had a lay-in opportunity.

Once again we played team ball and took advantage where we needed to. No forcing the action in the direction of anyone player. After a great opening game by Watson and a so-so game by Timme, we get a Timme personal best scoring game. Love that we find the hot-hand/open shooter and go in that direction every game.

Timme was as determined as he has been all year. Free throwing shooting was a key factor and he significantly stepped it up.

Kispert was steady and so was Ayayi. Defense improved through the game, but there were some clear lapses at times.

Thought Reaves played smart, poised, and great body control especially on his floaters.

1. Our shooting percentage was the worst all season.
    2. Oklahoma's shooting percentage was better than Gonzaga.
    3. Oklahoma made more FG's than Gonzaga.
    4. Gonzaga won by 16.

To those of you who think our Defense struggled.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Timme was aces. Joel was nice. The rest underperformed, some badly. Free throws and Watty’s held ball stanched yet another Okie run. We always get hurt by a stud shooter. Beats me why, also beats me why we don’t press more.
    That Watson held ball caused me to think "Mike Hart!" I can't remember the opposing team but it was one of those games where score was close late and we needed a stop to hold our lead. Hart recognized we had the possession arrow, so rather than commit a foul and hope for a miss, he got a held ball which is a clean turnover. Watson's held ball in today's game was huge.

I have one post-game thought:

USE THE SHOT FAKE!!!! freakin' block party...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

That short stretch where Kispert and Reaves both had to sit with fouls in late first half changed the game.

We had to take out one of the best shooters in college hoops but the defense that Cook and Watson played while their key ball-handler was sitting helped us really open things up. Love Watson's energy this tournament, just doing all the little things.

The boys looked a little shaky during the OU second half run. Went away from our offense a few times in favor of one on one (mostly Nembhard and Suggs) and missed a few defensive assignments as well. Good game for us to get some pushback and pressure by OU. I think the boys will pick up some "tight game" lessons from this one that we can put to use down the road. Oh, and it's nice that they can make me nervous and still have a 10 point lead.

My post game thought is that Im pissed. I HATE thug BS teams that feel its ok to hurt someone just because you're down and frustrated and see the writing on the wall. A ref should be fired after that review and a coach should be suspended to send the message.

- this was a good game for gonzaga, that is oklahoma played well, played tough, played hard all game long. that is good medicine for us.

- watson had good moments on defense, like him on the floor. my one criticism is he needs to move quicker and stronger to the basket. he was blocked 3 times and i bet hands down he has been blocked more at the rim than the next 3 players on the team. stronger, quicker please.

- go ohio!

Post games thoughts: celebrate this one!

https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/13...057158/video/1

Thumbs up Analytics

For the stat crunchers:

I’ll keep mine simple and absent of any sort of analytics:

First half grade: A-
    Second half grade: C+/b-

I thought we "toughed" out a win without our A game, or even really all that close to our "A" game (other than Timme who was AAA.

Two things turned that game, big:

Close to the end of first half, :30 seconds or so left, worst block call ever: Reaves charged, so obvious, and that would've been his 3rd foul right before halftime. He wouldn't have been near as aggressive 2nd half had he picked up 3rd right then.

Oklahoma's blown Alley-Oop might have saved us a one/two possession game coming down the stretch. Had that jam gone down, OU would've been down 8 (or 7), on a major run, and just jammed a ball down our throats. Instead, it worked the opposite, they blew an opportunity that was only going to come once and it looked like they knew it. Kinda like Wiltjer's miss v. Duke, just took the wind out of them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Jim Meehan's Game Story: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ma-behind-dre/

The Zags’ shooting accuracy faded in the latter stages and they ended up at 49.1%, a season low. The Zags, tops in the nation at 55.1%, have had just three games under 50%.

It hardly mattered as Gonzaga hit eight 3s, four by Kispert, and 23 of 26 free throws. Kispert and Jalen Suggs both scored 16 points and Joel Ayayi had 12 points and eight boards.

“The one thing when you’re on our bench, there’s a comfort in knowing that eventually we’re going to get going (offensively). At least, that’s how I feel,” Few said of the offense. “Buy hey, our defense has been pretty dang good all year.

“Our offense has been at a historical level so it gets a lot of the pub, but we ended up top 10 in DER (defensive efficiency rating), which is nothing to sneeze at.”
    Includes a nice AP Photo Gallery

Few did a handstand in the LR after the game. . .good for him !!

Now that I had a few hours to reflect, GU played good defense and there were some good offensive plays. I thought they did leave points off the board with some easy under the basket misses that were blocked by Oklahoma from behind. Very happy that Timme only missed two free throws. Enjoyed the Suggs circus lay-inn and Kispert’s dagger three at the end of the game. Ready for Creighton next week!

Agree this was a good game for Zags to grind through and get the W and of course Timme was incredible, but my takeaway after watching a bunch of games today is Zags were lucky to be playing a Sooners team missing their 2nd leading scorer. Zags are gonna need more players playing great to keep dancing and I think they’ll rise to the occasion. Oregon, Michigan, Creighton all got big performances from multiple players to advance. Can’t wait til Sweet 16 weekend!!!
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    1. Our shooting percentage was the worst all season.
    2. Oklahoma's shooting percentage was better than Gonzaga.
    3. Oklahoma made more FG's than Gonzaga.
    4. Gonzaga won by 16.

To those of you who think our Defense struggled.
    Isn’t it crazy that 49.1% is the worst shooting percentage on the year, and I think only the 4th game under 50%. Still scored 87. You better plan on scoring 90 if you want to beat the Zags this year.

B+ grade at best, still won by 16...............

Tell the field to bring it.

Go ZAGS
    Last edited by TacomaZAG; 03-23-2021 at 08:10 AM.

A real nice solid win against a respectable opponent. Timme was unreal. I thought Joel was real nice too.

There have been several people saying that to advance, we will need more than just one player to go off.

Kispert had 16 on 4-8 from 3. Suggs had 16, but didn't shoot the 3 well, he did draw a lot of fouls. Ayayi was just shy of his own double/double.

Sometimes I think we are spoiled. Oklahoma DID hold the Zags to only 4 in double figures.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Always GREAT to get the win.

We seemed as tight as Ive seen us this year...the tighter we get...the less we move.

I thought Reaves was a stud....that kid is a baller...and if #52 ever figures out how to shoot he will be a monster....he made some Great blocks. Not hard to see how they give everybody fits.

The GU coaches need to sit down with Suggs and the game film. They need to show him the replays of his elbows to OU faces. It wasnt on purpose...just an instinctive thing. Just make him aware to avoid a future f1. I liked Jalens energy today....even if he isnt 100% on offense....he makes his defense count.

Timme made Fred Astair look like Captain Hook today....hard to defend a guy.whoose footwork is rare to see....love his swag.

Watson needs to quit putting the ball off the glass against this level of competition....just dunk it. I dont think Anton realizes how good he really is....he can get oof the floor.and he can play very long....he may well be the X man before this tourney is done. I like Andrew N's composure. Also, Ayaia has the best BALL RADAR in the business.

Not as pretty as usual but, the 'W' is all that matters...there are no style points....and today as usual everybody stepped up when they had to......on the Creighton!