Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Walker Kessler transfer

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Regardless of which school he picks, he needs to work on his shooting. Like 54% from the FT line. Can’t hit threes.
    Sounds like a lot of big's Gonzaga has had.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Baylor is on his list now?
    I didn't know that Baylor was the top team in the nation going into next year ? You got some information that they are going to get a couple of superstars coming in next year that no one else knows about, because they are losing several off of last year's team.

Carolina is Family
    @UNIFIEDHEELS
    ·
    27m
    Several different connected ppl within their programs are hearing that Kessler will come back to #UNC Eyes (Know and trust these two sources)

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Carolina is Family
    @UNIFIEDHEELS
    ·
    27m
    Several different connected ppl within their programs are hearing that Kessler will come back to #UNC Eyes (Know and trust these two sources)
    Not a big loss, honestly - Watson is still here, plus Gregg is certain to earn some minutes next year due to the headstart he got. Honestly I'm more excited about Gregg anyway - he can shoot a 3 unlike Mr. Kessler.

I also saw a lot of potential in Gregg. I like the way he battled for rebounds, and his jump shot is a thing of beauty. The way he battled for rebounds, showed me that he also has heart, and that alone can carry you a long way. When you combine that with talent, that is a pretty awsome combo.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Not a big loss, honestly - Watson is still here, plus Gregg is certain to earn some minutes next year due to the headstart he got. Honestly I'm more excited about Gregg anyway - he can shoot a 3 unlike Mr. Kessler.
    Bottom line is that Kessler would make the team better and he would be a better option than Gregg next season. That doesn't mean that we can't be successful without Kessler, it's just pointing out that the "we didn't want/need line" is a bit funny. Without Kessler, we need Chet (which I expect), and without that happening we would be needing a big guy to be added via transfer IMO. I do like the upside of Perry/Gregg, but I don't expect big contributions from them this next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Bottom line is that Kessler would make the team better and he would be a better option than Gregg next season.
    Gregg may be a better option than Kessler. One of them has played at Gonzaga. The other...

But Gonzaga could be better with both

Carolina is Family
    @UNIFIEDHEELS
    ·
    27m
    So have we just been out on this? It sounded like he was headed here and now people have been saying it is just between UNC and Auburn. Were we really ever contenders?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    So have we just been out on this? It sounded like he was headed here and now people have been saying it is just between UNC and Auburn. Were we really ever contenders?
    It appears we were definitely "in it" for Kessler (and may still be).. it will depend a lot on what Timme does. If Drew returns for his Junior year then there is just not a lot of hope for Kessler to improve on the minutes he was getting at UNC. From the report I saw, Kessler believes GU's system would be a great fit for him.... he just wants playtime above that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    It appears we were definitely "in it" for Kessler (and may still be).. it will depend a lot on what Timme does. If Drew returns for his Junior year then there is just not a lot of hope for Kessler to improve on the minutes he was getting at UNC. From the report I saw, Kessler believes GU's system would be a great fit for him.... he just wants playtime above that.
    Gonzaga has played two bigs for many years. It wouldn't be Drew he was worried about but Chet or Anton. If he doesn't believe that he is good enough to get minutes in Gonzaga's game plan, he probably is better off going elsewhere.

I know that Drew thrives under the basket, but in High School was also a threat from 3 points. All the people on the board have been saying that Drew needs to come back and develop his 3 pt shot. With Kessler here, he would have a much better chance.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Gonzaga has played two bigs for many years. It wouldn't be Drew he was worried about but Chet or Anton.
    I think his concern would be competing for minutes with Chet, Drew, AND Anton.. and depending how much they are played Gregg and Perry as well. I don't think he has ruled out GU but competing for minutes is a factor. Timme coming back would not weigh in GU's favor to land Kessler. If that is how it plays out, I won't be too disappointed b/c that would mean Drew is back.

I would love to see a frontline of Timme, Holmgren, and Kessler. It would work. Triangle and 2. 3 man zone, an man to man with guards. I would like to see Harris, Strawther, and Gregg get playing time too. It looks to me like either Kessler is coming or the staff has another big lined up that none of us know anything about. I have to believe that at least one of big man transfers would love to play on the pre season number 1 team in the nation and would accept what playing time was available. I just find it hard to believe that Kessler would give up a chance to play on the top ranked team for 6 or 8 minutes more playing time on a rebuilding program like Carolina or Auburn.

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    ·
    4m
    North Carolina transfer Walker Kessler announced he is transferring to Auburn. Considered the Tigers out of high school. Just got buried in Chapel Hill behind 3 other bigs. Will have freedom to shoot the 3 under Bruce Pearl.

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    ·
    4m
    North Carolina transfer Walker Kessler announced he is transferring to Auburn. Considered the Tigers out of high school. Just got buried in Chapel Hill behind 3 other bigs. Will have freedom to shoot the 3 under Bruce Pearl.

huh. ah well, one door closes another opens

If he would rather go to another school just because of a few more minutes of playing time, tells me that he is a me first type player. With that type of attitude that might not be that big of a loss if he would have disrupted the team first that is the Zag way. Let's go, next one up.

It’s ok. If Timme is back and Chet comes then we just need a good quality back up. Hopefully the guys that we have can help with that (Watson, Gregg, and Perry). Or another transfer.

I would think if Timme comes back and Chet comes here, we are in really good shape. Watson will be a year older and stronger coming back from his injury. He showed many minutes and games of solid play to build on. Gregg had a few solid minutes and practice against some of the best. During his minutes he showed he will be solid backup and will be better than many of members on this board think. Perry will be solid backup learning against some of the best.

Then we have Nembhard, Stawther, Harris and Sallis as the set of guards and small forward.

That is a good set of 9 to start with and possibly another stepping up (Ariauskus) or another coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    It’s ok. If Timme is back and Chet comes then we just need a good quality back up. Hopefully the guys that we have can help with that (Watson, Gregg, and Perry). Or another transfer.
    Honest question. Do Timme and Chet both start? Seems Watson comes off the bench again with only Greg as a big with any (albeit small) college experience. Where’s the depth suddenly at the 5?

Also Perry may surprise some. Bouncy like Clark was and provides rim protection.
    America's Team!

I have Perry above Gregg next year. Would expect one to redshirt and at this point I’d lean Gregg most likely. Perry has more immediate impact I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Honest question. Do Timme and Chet both start? Seems Watson comes off the bench again with only Greg as a big with any (albeit small) college experience. Where’s the depth suddenly at the 5?
    Entirely possible Strawther or Watson would start at the 3 with Timme & Holmgren at the 4 & 5

Not worried about bigs if Chet commits and maybe we get Fanbo too

Positionally I see
    Strawther 3/4
    Watson 4/3
    Timme 4/5
    Holmgren 4/5
    Gregg 4/3
    Perry 5/4

We need more guards