Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stomach poke?!

Default Stomach poke?!

Sorry if this has been talked about elsewhere, I couldn't find it. I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, but that stomach poke and no call yesterday really bothers. Especially since it kind of lead more dirty play shortly after.

Can anyone explain why that wasnt called at least as a foul?! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    Sorry if this has been talked about elsewhere, I couldn't find it. I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, but that stomach poke and no call yesterday really bothers. Especially since it kind of lead more dirty play shortly after.

Can anyone explain why that wasnt called at least as a foul?! Thanks.
    They didn’t see it live and you can’t go to the screen to call a common foul, only flagrant 1 or 2. I agree it should have been a flagrant one because it was not a basketball move and it was intentional. Don’t know what the refs were thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    They didn’t see it live and you can’t go to the screen to call a common foul, only flagrant 1 or 2. I agree it should have been a flagrant one because it was not a basketball move and it was intentional. Don’t know what the refs were thinking.
    You could see on the replay that the ref was looking right at it. Inexcusable that it wasn't called live.

Angry Pokemon should've been T'd

That was a strange no call considering the video evidence, the (short-term) injury to Joel, and the "non-basketball play" nature of the incident. On the positive side, I don't recall seeing Pokemon on the court again till the last few minutes.

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    The refs involved should be reprimanded for the reasons you listed. It was an intentional foul, now called a flagrant. No other call or excuse matters.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Glad it's not just me. It's been driving me crazy.

I’d like to think the coach had the decency to sit that POS until the end. You recall he grabbed Suggs arm right after and was called for a flagrante.

I thought this thread would be about some Hawaiian fusion food

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I thought this thread would be about some Hawaiian fusion food
    Hawaiian Haggis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

The 2 handed yank on the arm bothered me a lot more than the poke. That kind of thing can definitely cause a significant injury.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Hawaiian Haggis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tropical tripe

Stuffed with poi

the player who poked abdomen is not the same player
    that flagrantly fouled Suggs with two handed grab and hold

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    He wasn't the same player called for the flagrant, but he did grab Suggs from the other side/arm.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Either way, I think that no call contributed to the rest of the calls. The refs almost let that game get out of hand. I had flashbacks of pargo and perkins (knock on wood).

Zags can handle a stomach poke. Just trying to get under the skin of our players, it's going to happen. Play on.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Zags can handle a stomach poke. Just trying to get under the skin of our players, it's going to happen. Play on.
    Of course they can, but that's not the point.

It was a very cheap bush league stunt and warranted a flagrant foul. The player that committed it was pulling sh*t much of the time he was in there. I'm glad we swept the floor with that team. Had we left starters in, we would have beaten them by 65 or so.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Default Stomach poke?!

One of the announcers called it “old school”. With that and the arm pull, one wonders how they’re coached up.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    BS, Hen, Joel could have easily broken a rib or torn a muscle in his stomach, both painful injuries. It's a playground move that has no place in the game. Player deserved at minimum a flagrant one. Yes, he also snagged Suggs arms a few plays later. Punk moves.

Expect to see that incorporated into BYU's defense next year. Pope says they need to be more physical. (Ok, I'm joking... maybe)

It is true that everybody did it back in the day.... in a attempt to get in the jump shooters head....but it is a foul ....if those two incidents were a attempt to intimidate Gonzaga....like dancing in front of their bench during warmups ....it sure backfired....and might have pizzed Few off...a mistake that led to a 50 point beatdown...

You don't tug on Superman's cape...

I was shocked it wasn't called a flagrant. Refs are basically setting a precedent that that kind of move is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    You could see on the replay that the ref was looking right at it. Inexcusable that it wasn't called live.
    That Trail Official is TOTALLY responsible for watching the shooter and should not have taken his eyes off of Joel AND as it appears, the Trail Official was looking directly at Joel and saw that poke. I'll bet he had a "talking too" by the supervisor of officials and IMO the whole crew as well. That Trail would, in all probability, not be calling any more games in this tournament. That poke was unsportsmanlike and should have warranted an FL1 (two shots and the ball) but that crew chose not to make the call.

So now, if other players do the same thing how will the officials rule???

There was another non-call which was correct about a player almost stepping in-bounds and nearly touch the court before releasing the ball. There was not call BUT if you watched the Trail Official, he was not even looking at the player, so IF the player had violated, he would not have seen it!!! Twenty or so years ago, there was a similar situation BUT this time the player was stepping on the end line with the ball as he passed the ball into his teammate. THAT official was in essence "sent home" for missing the violation in a very close game...

I wonder if y'all notice how many calls these officials make, because they think or presume there was contact so they blow their whistle!!! Yesterday, late in the TT vs Ark game, an Ark player blocked the shot of a driving player and was called for a two-shot foul...replay clearly showed that the defencive player had his hand on the ball and prevented the shot as the shooter when up with both hands BUT without the ball...should have been either a jump ball or no-call. Just goes to prove how "human" these officials can be...

Not a big deal. Would probably hurt a little if you weren’t expecting it. Definitely not a flagrant. It was only reviewed because Ayayi doubled over like it was a few inches lower.