Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Wbb NCAA Tournament - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    I think tomorrow's UConn vs Baylor may be the real championship game.

But my final four picks:

FINAL FOUR:
    - Stanford over Texas. Stanford too deep and Texas will need to play way up for 3 games in a row. Cardinal to the final
    - UConn over Arizona. Wildcat dream season comes to an end in the final four.

CHAMPIONSHIP
    - Stanford over UConn - Stanford has the bigs and depth to fight toe to toe with UConn. Tara Van Vanderveer gets her first championship since 1992. I just can't root for Geno, no matter how good a coach he is.

Gotta get that trophy back to the West Coast.

ZagDad
    HEAR HEAR! IMHO

Game 1 today, UConn vs Baylor, a very up and down game, full of intensity. UConn up after 1, 26-24.

ZagDad

UConn-Baylor is off to a heck of a start. UConn jumped out to a big lead, but Baylor came roaring back. Now they're just trading buckets. Hard to believe they'll both be able to maintain playing at this level. 26-24 UConn after Q1. For 2 vaunted defenses, that's a lot of points being scored!

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    UConn-Baylor is off to a heck of a start. UConn jumped out to a big lead, but Baylor came roaring back. Now they're just trading buckets. Hard to believe they'll both be able to maintain playing at this level. 26-24 UConn after Q1. For 2 vaunted defenses, that's a lot of points being scored!
    Buckle your seatbelts. I also don’t see how they can keep up this physicality?

But we’ll see.

Playing on a whole other (dialed up) level. These kind of teams will “run you out the gym” as we used to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoring pace WAY down in Q2, enough so that overall it has regressed to the mean I'd say.

Refs really let them play to start the game, now fouls are starting to pile up.

Carrington (Stanford transfer) carrying the load for Baylor to end the half. Bears lead by 2 after 20 minutes.

Bueckers leading UConn with 13 points on 5-9 shooting. Westbrook assisting the Huskies with 11 points on 4-7.

Carrington (Stanford transfer) came off the bench and is leading the Bears with 14 points on 5-10 shooting.

Rebounding is equal but Baylor is killing the Huskies with 10 O-boards to UConn's 5 o-boards. UConn also has 8 turnovers to Baylor's 2. Interestingly, Baylor has 9 assists to UConn's 5.

If the Huskies want to win, they need to cut down the turnovers and keep Baylor off the o-boards.

ZagDad

I didn't think the way this game started was maintainable, but it's totally transformed into a grinder. UConn has really struggled to score since Q1. I'm sure UConn has a run in them, but they are in a bit of trouble at the moment.

Jeez on cue a 10 point lead just evaporated instantly.

Baylor's big lead down to 2 at the end of the 3rd, 55-53.

UConn missing many free throws or they would be up.

Baylor's big guard, Didi Richardson, went out with what appears to be a minor hamstring injury. Back in now, but not moving very well.

ZagDad

19-0 UConn run. It's like Baylor just quit playing. They look dead in the water.

Griffin drew 2 charges against Carrington. The first was a bit questionable. The second was an absolutely ridiculous flop. I cannot wrap my mind around how refs fall for that crap.

Baylor just scored on a short hook shot to end a 19-0 UConn run. With just under 7 minutes to go, UConn is up 7.

ZagDad

19-0 UConn run. It's like Baylor just quit playing. They look dead in the water.

Griffin drew 2 charges against Carrington. The first was a bit questionable. The second was an absolutely ridiculous flop. I cannot wrap my mind around how refs fall for that crap.
    The UConn run started when Richardson went out. She is playing at a much reduced level now.

Carrington uses her forearm to create space when she dribbles into the key. If that forearm gets extended, whether or not she actually pushed with it, the refs are going to call it.

ZagDad

The UConn run started when Richardson went out. She is playing at a much reduced level now.

Carrington uses her forearm to create space when she dribbles into the key. If that forearm gets extended, whether or not she actually pushed with it, the refs are going to call it.

ZagDad
    On the second one Griffin had launched herself backward like she got shot before Carrington even got close to her. You could see it coming from a mile away, but refs bought it hook, line and sinker.

Carrington just got away with two blatant fouls on Beuckers on the defensive side of the ball.

Beuckers came toward the ball and immediately reversed direction and Carrington grabbed her arm and spun her around, no call.

Carrington knocked the ball loose from Beuckers and ran right through Beuckers to get to the ball forcing Beuckers to call a timeout. Another no call.

I would not complain about a charge call against Carrington, she has been fouling all afternoon and getting away with it.

ZagDad

Carrington has gone ice cold. As much as she carried them earlier, she's killing them now. Probably has missed her last 6 or 7 shots I would guess.

On the second one Griffin had launched herself backward like she got shot before Carrington even got close to her. You could see it coming from a mile away, but refs bought it hook, line and sinker.
    O'k, but Carrington has gotten away with lots of fouls all afternoon with no calls. Call it a make-up call (I know they don't exist).

ZagDad

Carrington just got away with two blatant fouls on Beuckers on the defensive side of the ball.

Beuckers came toward the ball and immediately reversed direction and Carrington grabbed her arm and spun her around, no call.

Carrington knocked the ball loose from Beuckers and ran right through Beuckers to get to the ball forcing Beuckers to call a timeout. Another no call.

I would not complain about a charge call against Carrington, she has been fouling all afternoon and getting away with it.

ZagDad
    There has been A LOT of contact that hasn't been called against both teams all game long. No need to single out one player.

Bueckers has gone cold too.

Baylor missed 1 of 2 FTs, then just had a TO on a terrible pass. UConn is trying to give them chances, but they don't want to take advantage of it.

What is happening to me? I really don't like Baylor. It almost seems like I'm rooting for them. Just so over UConn and all their hype, and it's just gonna keep getting worse the longer Bueckers is there.

UConn gives it right back. Not a good finish to this game by either team.

Ha ha, Carrington with an equally egregious flop also gets a call. These refs are suckers.

UConn by 1 w/ possession, 19 seconds left. Baylor will have to foul if they can't get a steal right away.

UConn misses 2 free throws. UConn up 1, 68-67, Baylor ball with 17.2 seconds left.

ZagDad

Carrington w/ a stupid shot, trying to play hero ball. Saw that one coming, she's been in ball hog mode for several possessions. She really did not have a good 2nd half. UConn gonna survive.