Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Teams testing positive now!

  1. #1

    Default Teams testing positive now!

    I am having nightmares that we wonít get a tourney again.

    Virginia and Kansas and Duke...

    Donít teams need 7 days consecutively of negative tests to be eligible for the tournament? Thatís what I remember seeing . First games are in 6 days. So are they ineligible now?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I am having nightmares that we wonít get a tourney again.

    Virginia and Kansas and Duke...

    Donít teams need 7 days consecutively of negative tests to be eligible for the tournament? Thatís what I remember seeing . First games are in 6 days. So are they ineligible now?
    Maybe they'll shuffle the teams testing positive to play on Saturday, regardless of the s-curve? It isn't much but better than the alternative.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    I hope I am wrong, but I fear these cases are going to snowball before the Dance begins.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Maybe they'll shuffle the teams testing positive to play on Saturday, regardless of the s-curve? It isn't much but better than the alternative.
    Aren’t the first games Thursday and Friday?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Arenít the first games Thursday and Friday?
    First weekend is Friday through Monday this year.

    https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...dness-schedule

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    18,396

    Default

    Play in games start Thursday.
    This is definitely something worth keeping an eye on.

    I still think....hope....want it to work out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    If the tourney doesn’t happen this year...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Aren’t the first games Thursday and Friday?
    Friday/Sat 1st round this year

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Play in games start Thursday.
    This is definitely something worth keeping an eye on.

    I still think....hope....want it to work out.
    Is it diff this year? Aren’t play ins on Tuesday?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    All the play in games are on Thursday.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    If the tourney doesnít happen this year...
    I think it will, in some shape or form. But obviously the odds of it being something close to normal are looking more dismal. I could see a scenario where the first weekend was removed, and the committee selected at large 16 teams. I don't think logistically it could be shifted a week back at this point. All I know is Gonzaga lost a golden opportunity last year, and this year is looking shakier. We'll see if the NCAA is more prepared with contingency plans than they appear to be.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,845

    Default

    The sky isn't falling,

    The NCAA has contingencies in place.

    There will be a tournament this year.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    2,893

    Default

    Seed the field. If your team can't show up due to covid you forfeit the game. Simple (and brutal) as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,921

    Default

    5 or more healthy players and any team is a go.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    5 or more healthy players and any team is a go.
    In these remaining conference tournaments, over half of the teams have returned home. I think we've seen the worst, but I obviously could be wrong.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,949

    Default

    No matter how I feel about a program - I'll feel so badly for any players whose season gets stopped by covid - not even a chance to play in the tournament. It's gonna be an interesting two weeks.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,845

    Default

    I mean, this is on the conferences who are running tournaments this late. The NCAA tournament dates are pretty fixed because of the Masters.

    Conferences knew when it had to be, they should have moved their tournaments earlier or got rid of them completely.
    If I'm an ACC or Big 12 team I pull out of the tournament now and get bubbled up in order to get the 7 consecutive days needed.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,630

    Default

    I was concerned about there being any conference tournaments this year for the reason of what is happening now. I understand that's not the normal but it beats the alternative for another possible cancellation.
    America's Team!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    5 or more healthy players and any team is a go.
    None of these teams are out yet.

    The NCAA's most basic rule is that any member of a team's travel party must test negative seven days in a row before participating in the tournament. As of now, the rest of Virginia's and Kansas' players and coaches are on track to meet that requirement.

    But contact tracing can also lead to quarantines and ineligibility. That's why neither Virginia nor Kansas could play Friday night – "a positive test, subsequent quarantining, and contact tracing," per the ACC and Big 12.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-tourna...173009938.html

    If they can keep the rest of their teams healthy they can still be eligible. If they advance, even players who tested positive could potentially be eligible to return to the roster.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    I think it will, in some shape or form. But obviously the odds of it being something close to normal are looking more dismal. I could see a scenario where the first weekend was removed, and the committee selected at large 16 teams. I don't think logistically it could be shifted a week back at this point. All I know is Gonzaga lost a golden opportunity last year, and this year is looking shakier. We'll see if the NCAA is more prepared with contingency plans than they appear to be.
    I just hope that the best teams are in it, so that if the Zags win then there is no asterisk that other fans can try to assign to it. More importantly, I hope the Zags don’t test positive! Hoping the players have gotten vaccinated!!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    6,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    I just hope that the best teams are in it, so that if the Zags win then there is no asterisk that other fans can try to assign to it. More importantly, I hope the Zags don’t test positive! Hoping the players have gotten vaccinated!!!
    I think their will be a asterisk if top teams can't play.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,866

    Default

    Before this is over it could come down to the last Man/Women/Other.....standing.....

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Before this is over it could come down to the last Man/Women/Other.....standing.....
    Thatís my whole approach to life.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nonzagzag View Post
    So, have any college or pro athletes in the world tested positive and been sick enough to be hospitalized or worse?
    non-sequitur alert!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,918

    Default

    It's entirely possible that GU will have no problems at all and play 6 games and win the natty, that they knock themselves out because of a positive test along the way, or that GU wins the national championship without actually playing a single game. What a weird year.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •