Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zags vs BYU Post-game Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Hats off to BYU, that was the type of game we needed. Kispert hopefully stays out of his slump, Jalen has that swagger going into the tournament.

And what I love most is BYU has not won the conference nor the conference tournament since making the jump to the WCC. I still remember all of the chatter stating they were going to destroy the WCC.
    Suggs showed that he has NBA lottery pick-level mental toughness last night. He elevated so high on a couple of block attempts last night, which really showed off his athleticism. This team would be really good without him but he takes the Zags to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    As was the blocking call on CK's drive. 50-50, so a huge play.
    Even SVP had something to say about that in his post-game summary.

It was the right call and Barcello sliding under on a fast break to try and pick up a charge to me is a dirty, dirty play. If you can't contest at the rim GTFO of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Suggs will never have to buy a beer at Jack and Dan's.......

Timme .....32
    Suggs ......33
    Kispert .....37
    Ayayi .......38
    Nembhard 40

tight rotation

Watson 11
    Cook .....9

Zags committed 11 fouls to Cougs 21

good game before tourney

What does Few do at halftime?
    This is not the first game that the team has looked weak during the first half and then turned things around in the second half. The change in this one was really dramatic. The first half was 53-41, BYU. The second half was 47-25, GU!

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Suggs showed that he has NBA lottery pick-level mental toughness last night. He elevated so high on a couple of block attempts last night, which really showed off his athleticism. This team would be really good without him but he takes the Zags to the next level.
    There's no underestimating the impact that sort of mental toughness has in a highly competitive game. The look I saw on Suggs was fierce, yet he was playing loose with confidence. I thought he was THE difference maker last night and I expect to see this in the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    He'll certainly be able to afford it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    He'll certainly be able to afford it though.

yeah....he'll probably be able to franchise J & D after buying it....

I am still on cloud nine. It hasn’t sunk in that we are undefeated. The discipline, unselfishness, and sacrifice from every player makes this team special. I am most proud that our team has been built cleanly. The day we ever have the NCAA probes of Arizona is the day I hand in my GU Fan Card.

Last night we didn’t play putrid in the first half. Rather BYU shot lights out and we didn’t. The second half performance shows the buy in the players have to the Coach’s plan and the guts it takes to implement. Look forward to the next game!

I re-watched the second half this afternoon. Doing the POG threads can make it hard to see the end of game action. . .If the Zags had had a better night at the line, they would have won by 18-20 points.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-10-2021 at 05:53 PM.

When SVP interviewed Corey last night, he asked him in regards to winning it all, what he felt that they needed to do to get there. Corey's response was perfect and to the point. "Be us. Be who we are"
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I only have 3 worries (and that's not many)

Foul trouble with Timme
    Huge physical team out rebounding us and negating our inside game
    Team daring us to be them from 3 when Suggs, Kispert, Nembart all have off nights.

That is not that big a list bc there are few teams that can do it and we have a million ways to counter any of them. Fast break fast break, easy scores can negate almost all 3.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    Leadership accompanied by colorful pronouns and adjectives from Tommy Lloyd ??

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    When he can finally drink a beer at Jack and Dan’s!!!
    Getting vaccinated isn’t a political issue. It’s a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

Remember the flops TJ Haws used to do like art form? They must teach a class on that move down there. In addition to the obvious flop that had a warning, did you catch the one where BYU was shooting a three ball on the far side and our player got called for a foul as he flopped on his back? I slow mo'd it and couldn't detect any contact. He got the call. The trickster stuff BYU does over the years has tainted my view of their integrity. And of course, it's always the refs, right? Or if they can't win with talent they resort to football players that are dirty. Can't help it, had to say it. I will say, they have had many superb and classy players also that should have had their day in the NBA. Just a strange vibe there.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

The fellas turned up the heat and pulled it out in the 2nd half...but the likely scenario almost played out. That after Timme leaves the floor...we are vulnerable...Byu didnt take advantage as much as they should have either.

Our weakspot is lack of depth at the 5 spot....hope the team practices some zone D and runs Ballo for some short bursts....our tournament may hinge on his ability to cover the middle for short stints. Hes big and strong and the zone D will keep him at home. Would even like to see Timme..Ballo on the court for short stints together ....KISPERT...SUGGS and Ayai with Timme are enough firepower even wirh Ballo in. The other teams are gonna come after Timme...

this game gave us exactly what i have wanted to see,
    a close game, under pressure, within a few points just 3-4 minutes from the end,
    that we learn from whether win or lose. we haven't had a close game until this one,
    and this notch under our belt means it will not be new to Watson and Suggs anymore.
    suggs rose to the occasion like we all hoped he would.
    we will have at least one more close game in the Dance I suspect,
    and prob more
    and I am so excited for zag nation, players, I can hardly stand it.
    we can't leave out how Ayayi was keeping us in the game during many clutch moments in the
    first half ...

I didn't know if anyone posted this elsewhere but the below is a 6 minutes interview of Suggs by Katz:

https://twitter.com/TheAndyKatz/stat...140027904?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    This is not the first game that the team has looked weak during the first half and then turned things around in the second half. The change in this one was really dramatic. The first half was 53-41, BYU. The second half was 47-25, GU!
    this is fun to follow and has been for many years, trying to document game to game adjustments, in game adjustments and halftime, especially defensively, just way more sophisticated as its evolved imo

so what I saw BYU game, the open 3s first half often came out of the screen roll D with Timme, in a nutshell got Zags scrambling (rotating is the basketball word, but it's scrambling and a good team exploits that; look what happens when teams double the Zag post). With the matchups, ended up with CK and Nemby scrambling weakside to help inside. Just many issues BYU exploited

2nd half,Pope went away from it, posted up, maybe looking to put fouls on Drew? Idk, but it didn't work, BYU missed shots and it fueled Zag running game, CK punched junk, etc. For me, that was self inflicted by Pope; maybe he didn't want to give the Zags the chance to execute their screen roll halftime adjustment, again idk, but he miscalculated and boom, Zags explode out of halftime.

then, Pope did go back to the screen roll with Haarms, and a coupe adjustments were revealed imo. First, Joel rolled with the screener to help Drew recover (can't remember any other Zag doing that too, maybe just Joel headsy play), and another was Suggs taking flight weakside soaring in from the ozone, etc.. also looked to me like Zags stayed with same d concept 1/2 court in the screen roll d with Drew but shuffled assignments, see Suggs, and the intensity

the press was another piece, made others have to make plays and helped disrupt BYU screen roll execution too, among other things

what did others see? what Few and co. do game to game, you know, I'm eating popcorn watching it transpire and wondering what's next

whoa, that's a long post, sorry

In the first half, nothing worked. When they were hitting 3 they played them tighter and closed out harder, then BYU just drove and got all of the way to the rim. It even looked like they threw out a version of their full court press in the half court. I thought that the only hope was for shooting percentages to go down to average, the Zags to start hitting more shots, and the Zags to create a bunch of turnovers. I honestly thought going into game that the Zags would turn BYU over bunch, since they had so many against Pepperdine.

I didn’t appreciate any major adjustments aside from the Zags intensity being more and guys being there on the catch. BYU has a harder time turning the corner on screens, and maybe this was due to hedging harder and longer like you noticed with Ayayi. Suggs mentioned better help defense, talking more, and getting their “downhill switches in order,” which I’m guessing refers to the assignments of the other three guys who aren’t defending the pick and roll guys.

Not taking anything away from the great 2nd half of Suggs and Kispert BYU finished a game that started at 9pm and went to OT. It may have finished up the same day they played Gonzaga. I'm sure fatigue in the 2nd half benefited the Zags a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Not taking anything away from the great 2nd half of Suggs and Kispert BYU finished a game that started at 9pm and went to OT. It may have finished up the same day they played Gonzaga. I'm sure fatigue in the 2nd half benefited the Zags a bit.

If they won more games, they would've been the 1-seed, and that wouldn't have been a concern. We all started 0-0.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!