Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BYU vs Lady Zags

Default BYU vs Lady Zags

It would be nice if CLF gives Yvonne Ejim more PT, she is the most physically developed player on the team. I'd much rather see her than AV who at best is hit and miss when she's in the game.

Can the Truongs quite with those lazy passes? They remind me so much of Perkins when he was a sophomore, they still haven't learned to value the ball on every possession.

If our Ladies can "D" up we should win this game but turnovers will cost us, value the ball Ladies!

A win would be the crowning touch on good conference season... I think JT and the Wirths will bring it today!

BYU needs to win to go to the NCAA tournament, they will be hungry and driven, our ladies need to match their intensity from the opening tip.

Just my opinion...

Go!! Las Zagas!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

BYU is the one team that matches up very well with the Lady Zags.

Albiero vs K-11 - Relatively close. I think K-11 is quicker and will take it to the hope more frequently - Slight edge Zags
    Gonzales vs CW - Gonzales is the best guard in the conference and will hurt you inside and outside - Advantage BYU
    Harding vs JT - Both are do it all players. Either can beat the other on any given day. Harding is more consistent - slight advantage BYU
    Hamson vs LW - Hamson has the blocks, LW is quicker and a bigger scoring threat. Rebounding can go either way - slight advantage GU
    Gustin vs JW - Gustin is tops on the boards. JW is much more accomplished on the offensive end and not to far off on the boards - Advantage Zags
    Graham vs MK - Graham much larger offensive threat, MK much more dominate on the boards - Advantage depends on what you need - Call a push.
    Judkins vs CLF - Pregame planning - CLF. In game coaching changes - Judkins. Advantage depends on how the players are playing.

What has determined the outcome of the two previous games with BYU this year has been the shooting of Gonzaga. BYU has scored 56 points and 61 points in the two previous games. Gonzaga has scored 63 points (game #1) despite JW only shooting 2-10. Gonzaga scored 56 points despite 3 starters (JT, LW & CW)and AOC shooting 17% overall and 1-8 from long range. If the Lady Zags play their typical defense, BYU will be kept around 60 points, likely just under 60 points. The only time Gonzaga has scored under 60 points in 2021, was that second game against BYU when half the team could not shoot.

The other issue which could (and certainly may) decide this game is the coaches. We know coach Judkins will make major in-game changes if his original scheme is not working. He did it yesterday when Krimili (USF) torched the Cougars with 11 points in the first quarter. He changed the defense to a box and one and let Albiero take Krimili out of the game. CLF is one of the best if not the best in the WCC in pre-game planning. This has proven to be successful as she usually has the best plan and the best players. The problem is when either the scheme or the players are not working. CLF has had a tendency over the years, to be slow (stubborn??) to change her scheme and/or personnel. This was shown to be the case in the last game with BYU. With GU down 10 with 4+ minutes to go, and 3 of her starters and one of her top players off the bench shooting 17%, she changed neither her scheme or her personnel. Without the late game heroics by JW, it would have been lucky for GU to get to 50 Points. We needed offense, why did CLF not bring in LF or K-14 for long range shooting, YE for more consistent shooting under the hoop? If the Lady Zags play their defense, hit their average shooting numbers, limit their turnovers and maintain their rebounding advantage CLF will not need to make any changes to win this game. However, if BYU forces the Zags to underperform in one or more areas, will CLF be willing to change to adapt to the game conditions? This could determine today's game.

ZagDad

An accurate summary, ZD. Here are a few additional factors:
    Motivation: Zags lose, they drop three or four seedings. BYU loses, they probably are out of the Tournament (already on first four out list). Advantage: BYU
    Guard play: Troung twins are now 7 for 30 on treys in the last five games, including 1 for 16 in the last three. They've committed 21 TOs in the same span. They both are going to be great next year. This year: building. Advantage: BYU
    Momentum: BYU coming off perhaps their best game of the year. Zags from one of their worst. In the last two, in fact, GU has turned it over a staggering 37 times. Advantage: BYU
    Senior leadership: Should be, with the combination of JT & the Wirth twins, a big advantage for GU. Fact is though, none of the three have asserted the necessary kind of determined leadership for their younger teammates lately.

Bottom line: A Cougars win, two WCC teams make the tourney field, & it's no big deal for the Zags. BYU pulls away late in foul-plagued, low scoring affair to win by eight. 66-58. GU drops to a nine seed.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Bottom line: A Cougars win, two WCC teams make the tourney field, & it's no big deal for the Zags. BYU pulls away late in foul-plagued, low scoring affair to win by eight. 66-58. GU drops to a nine seed.
    I see you Upan8th. Very valid and probable outcome.

My only disagreement is with the Zag seeding. Charlie Creme has them as a 5 seed today, the Coach's poll has the Zags ranked #14. I would say with a win, Gonzaga has an outside chance at a the bottom of the 4th seed line, more likely near the top of the 5th seed line. If they lose to BYU, I don't see them dropping below a 6th seed.

I am putting my homer hat on and believe that there is no way the Lady Zags, as a team, shoot as poorly as they did in Game #2 with BYU. I am setting the Mendoza line at 60 all in on the defense playing their usual self today. If the Zags keep the Cougars under 60, Seniors will the Zags above the 60 mark and pull out a victory 64-58.

ZagDad

Well, Skol to that, ZD!

Default BYU vs Lady Zags

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    BYU is the one team that matches up very well with the Lady Zags.

Judkins vs CLF
    The .... issue which could (and certainly may) decide this game is the coaches. We know coach Judkins will make major in-game changes if his original scheme is not working. He did it yesterday when Krimili (USF) torched the Cougars with 11 points in the first quarter. He changed the defense to a box and one and let Albiero take Krimili out of the game. CLF is one of the best if not the best in the WCC in pre-game planning. This has proven to be successful as she usually has the best plan and the best players. The problem is when either the scheme or the players are not working. CLF has had a tendency over the years, to be slow (stubborn??) to change her scheme and/or personnel. This was shown to be the case in the last game with BYU. With GU down 10 with 4+ minutes to go, and 3 of her starters and one of her top players off the bench shooting 17%, she changed neither her scheme or her personnel. Without the late game heroics by JW, it would have been lucky for GU to get to 50 Points. We needed offense, why did CLF not bring in LF or K-14 for long range shooting, YE for more consistent shooting under the hoop? If the Lady Zags play their defense, hit their average shooting numbers, limit their turnovers and maintain their rebounding advantage CLF will not need to make any changes to win this game. However, if BYU forces the Zags to underperform in one or more areas, will CLF be willing to change to adapt to the game conditions? This could determine today's game.

ZagDad
    I’m with ZD.

If everything goes according to PLAN, the Zags have it.

If NOT...

I have also seen the stubbornness (which is the right word) of CLF (and many other great coaches) to NOT believe what their eyes are telling them.

Getting killed by one player? No box and one.
    Playing man to man and getting killed by threes? No zone defense.
    Help defense and over trapping? Double down on it.

Hopefully everything goes according to plan?!

*** UPDATE ***
    Geez just seeing the news that the Zags are battling an illness. We just got in (late) from Vegas. Obviously impacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Jr

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    believe that there is no way the Lady Zags, as a team, shoot as poorly as they did in Game #2 with BYU.
    I may have been very badly mistaken

ZagDad

Very bad 1st half for the Zags.

3 starters out, but that is not the problem.

First problem is 12 turnovers. Lazy passes, traveling, getting the ball ripped out of your handles. Absolutely have to value the ball. No doing it so far.
    Second problem, JW simply not realizing the double teams and gets blocked and missing wide open bunnies. You are the senior on the floor you need to play like it.
    Third, ball movement is slow to non-existent. BYU can just fill in the key. Got to get the ball moving.

Only bright spot is defense. Despite some lapses and only scoring 13 points, only down 9, so still in the game.

ZagDad

Probably by necessity, but CLF is playing a lot of players but not leaving them in long enough to get in the flow of the game.

BYU packing the key, Zags need to get them moving and out to the perimeter to free up the inside.

First two plays, Harding hits a wide open jumper and Zags turnover the ball leads to a BYU lay-up.

CW and JT (2 of the affected players) are a total of 0-4. You need to get some shooters on the floor.

ZagDad

Passing up a few looks at the elbow. Need to start taking those shots, it is what BYU is giving them right now.

While it hurts, JT and CW are an offensive liability right now we need to get some better offensive alternatives. JT keeps hedging leaving Harding wide open and Paisley is making us pay.

Kempton has 6 turnovers and JW has 3. This is totally unacceptable for the quality of these players. We need every possession.

Only down 9 starting the 4th, time for a comeback.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    It would be nice if CLF gives Yvonne Ejim more PT, she is the most physically developed player on the team. I'd much rather see her than AV who at best is hit and miss when she's in the game.
    Just my opinion...

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

bigblahla

You nailed this one. CLF (finally) went with Ejim in the fourth...who’s very strong down low as an alternative to JW who is struggling due to illness.

Zags within five! Just might pull this out, because of this (crucial) adjustment based on personnel. Here’s hoping she made the switch...in time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zags have shown tremendous heart. They may not win but they've never quit.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

What heart, courage and final shot!

What a way to finish. So appropriate.
    JT #Grit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a great win. Jill Townsend with the game winner.

Unreal finish. Amazing that she was able to get off the shot with just 0.6 seconds left.

Heartbreak for the BYU gals. Hope they somehow make the tourney.

Wow! Zags show so much grit and heart. I'm impressed. Ejim came up big, as did the Truongs. And what a way for Jill to end her WCC career! I love this team.

That was awesome! Go Zags!
    Bring back the OCC

Madness.....One shinning moment ......

Wow! One of the grittiest games in recent Zag history. Losing players to illness, which complicates the offense as the team has to get used to the changed personnel. The defense was amazing the whole game. A new star is born with Ejim carrying the offensive load for the team. And, of course, Jill capping off the comeback with .06 seconds left. A win that will be remembered for years!

Great ending, but I'm sure BYU thinks Yvonne traveled when she rebounded and fell. Nice to be on the winning side of a tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Great ending, but I'm sure BYU thinks Yvonne traveled when she rebounded and fell. Nice to be on the winning side of a tough call.
    I'm sure they do. Traveling was either called when it wasn't a travel today a number of times, or not called when it should have been. I'm thinking of a couple of BYU baskets where it looked like the player traveled.

Here's a clip of the game winner

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=31034847

ZZ

Funny, I paused the game with a few seconds left to get a sandwich to calm my nerves. I came back to see the ending 20 minutes later. HOLY CATFISH! What an ending!