Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs BYU (Vegas edition) - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I expect that Gonzaga will win....but there is a chance that BYU could make 15-20 3's and upset them....but that would not necessarily be a bad thing.

I do not like BYU.....they are the dirtiest team in the WCC....but given what Gonzaga will face in the Tournament from the Power 5 +1 that is also not necessarily a bad thing....
    I'm with you on all of this and expect a tough contest tonight, hopefully injury free. Zag ability to burst away with explosive runs, and all the cool things they do when they do that, may be the key. BYU won't be intimidated before the game, not until Zags do it to them in this game and grind them down. Putting fouls on Timme will be an early goal for Pope imo, hope Drew spins that and tags their front line instead early

Zags 93-78

Bulldogs 87
    Cougars 75

BYU could make it a game but short rest and OT against Pepp won't do them any favors. If Zags (CK) are hitting from deep it's over early. And since it's the final game for a while I think coach gives the key guys extended run no matter the score.

Zags 91
    BYU 68
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

First single digit win in a while:
    88 Zags
    79 Cougars
    GO ZAGS!!!

I expect a close game, but the definition of "close" has changed this year. Zags will win by double-digits again, but BYU may keep it competitive in the first half.

Zags - 85
    University of Brigham Young - 69
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Go Zags ! Beat BYU !
    GU - 91 BYU - 85

Ever since BYU outplayed us for a stretch during the second half of the last game, I’ve said that they had a puncher’s chance of upsetting the Zags in the WCC final. I still think so. Barcello is streaky and we all saw what he did to USF with 7 threes. Haarms and Harward are capable of pushing Timmie and AW around while Gideon George and Averette move well and pass. Lohner has gotten better since we saw him last. This is the Zags premier rivalry game these days.

Games with BYU are usually chippy because BYU takes lots of cheap shots (did you see Harward’s knee to the groin on the baseline to the Pepp player last night?). I think a physical game (but no injuries) might be good for Zags who have been on cruise control since December.

I hope the refs let them play because I don’t think I can take another whistle fest with 49 fouls called. Zags won’t have whistle-happy WCC refs in the dance and need to be able to adjust.

ZZ

GU 84
    BYU 72

Go Zags!

Smile Lohner Shadows All-American Kispert (again)

Dancers in Pre-Dance, a poem
    <ahem>
    Roses are red,
    B-ball is fun,
    BYU, a Seven Seed,
    Zags, the Number One.

-------
    1 Seed - 88
    7 Seed - 71

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

If the refs are allowing contact like they were in the BYU/Pepperdine game, that bodes poorly for us inside the paint. The only place they were sensitive was arms extended during charges. I think a lot rests on Timme playing through contact, and remaining an inside threat so that we can keep the floor spaced for shooters. I haven't seen egregious reffing so far, so:

Zags roll 78 - 62
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

I saw Gregg I’m pretty sure. He is too valuable to waste in garbage time in a game like that.

ZAGS 102
    BYU 89

I suspect the refs will largely swallow their whistles in this tilt and expect it to be a bruising game. Hoping for no injuries for Zags ...
    Hope to see the 3 ball falling early and often for GU. I hope this game doesn't get too chippy, but wouldn't be surprised if/when it does.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by HillZag View Post
    The first half of your sentence is true. The second half is factually false. The WCC is looking very good. 8 of 10 teams are in the Top 150.

It's not 2005 anymore.

I don’t know why you chose 2005 arbitrarily, but heres my POV. Clearly this is certainly one of the best if not the best Gonzaga team but in the past I recall at least one sometimes two other conference teams were good enough to give the zags a game. I don’t see that this year. As for the bottom of the league it is just absolutely horrible, worse than it’s ever been. So if your argument is that the middle is better than it was perhaps you’re right.

Zags 87-73

No injuries is the most important aspect to this game for me. Game may seem closer than it really is if we get out to 20+ point lead with more than 5 minutes to go as we will see the spread reducing squad come in.

Zags - 92
    BYU -71

Mark is a class act....but if it were up to me...I would send Ballo out there to enforce some decorum .....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    No injuries is the most important aspect to this game for me. Game may seem closer than it really is if we get out to 20+ point lead with more than 5 minutes to go as we will see the spread reducing squad come in.

Zags - 92
    BYU -71
    Is that trademarked? The Spread Reducing Squad? Love it. Anyone remember when LSU had the Chinese Bandits under Paul Dietzel? No, wouldn’t play now. Still, it is LSU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Bandits

Zags 85

BYUs - 69
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Either BYU would have to get a whole lot better, or we’d have to get a whole lot worse. Don’t want either of those things.

BYU did move the ball pretty well last night in the couple minutes I watched. But unless we miss a ton of layups I don’t see them defending us any better than they or any other team has to this point.

Get the W. No injuries. No COVID.
    that is rich, just can't stop laughing

Gonzaga 84
    Brigham Young 70
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

I'd like to see Jesse Wade get some minutes vs his old team. He's only getting on the floor for garbage time this season, though. Season-high 7 minutes vs USC and has scored a total of 9 points all season. I recall a lot of hype on this board about him anticipating his Gonzaga debut when he was on his mission. Seems like a nice kid. Just never developed the way we all hoped he would.

Corey Kispert is the only player on the current roster who played with Jesse back in 2017-18. That season, he appeared in 19 games for GU and scored 26 points-both higher totals than his current season at BYU.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    I'd like to see Jesse Wade get some minutes vs his old team. He's only getting on the floor for garbage time this season, though. Season-high 7 minutes vs USC and has scored a total of 9 points all season. I recall a lot of hype on this board about him anticipating his Gonzaga debut when he was on his mission. Seems like a nice kid. Just never developed the way we all hoped he would.

Corey Kispert is the only player on the current roster who played with Jesse back in 2017-18. That season, he appeared in 19 games for GU and scored 26 points-both higher totals than his current season at BYU.

ZZ
    Happier times, Summer of 2017

Jesse and his family were super nice, they invited Big D to shoot hoops with them, even though he couldn't reach the net with his shots...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Mark is a class act....but if it were up to me...I would send Ballo out there to enforce some decorum .....
    Heck yes.

Looking for a Zag win, with a wider margin than our women's team won by today.