Madeline Holland Sr. G/F Saint Mary's
    Sydney Hunter Sr. G San Diego
    Melody Kempton Jr. F Gonzaga
    Brooklyn McDavid Sr. F Pacific
    Lianna Tillman Sr. G Pacific
    Kayleigh Truong So. G Gonzaga
    Taycee Wedin Jr. G Saint Mary's
    LeeAnne Wirth Sr. F Gonzaga

Only two players on the first two teams? (15 player). Hmm.

ALL WORTHY CANDIDATES. My only change would have been CLF for coach of the year.

IMO this is VAL Higgins last year at UOP:

A fellow UOP WBB fan machogeek wrote: ↑7:39 AM - Today
    'Higgins ended up 3rd in scoring, 2nd in rebounding, 7th in fg %, 12th in assists, 2nd in FT %, 1st in steals, 5th in blocks, 9th in off rebounds, 2nd in def rebounds, and 4th in minutes played. Pretty good resume for "Defensive Player of the year"......to go along with first team all WCC........'

I would like to add: Court Demeanor and court side presence ... par excellence! The Program will miss her!

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo 1966 View Post
    ALL WORTHY CANDIDATES. My only change would have been CLF for coach of the year.
    I would agree that all are worthy candidates.

Zag fans need to realize that Gonzaga plays "team" ball, and as such, rarely is there an opportunity for the numbers (points, rebounds, assists, steals, etc.) for any one individual to stand out on a game by game basis. An example, is the extraordinary freshman Ioanna Krimili. How did she do against Gonzaga? In game 1 she had 6 points (3-11, 0-6) and in game #2 she had 5 points (1-7, 0-2). Quality, deep teams take away the primary threat and made the other team members beat you. With the Lady Zags, if you take away JT, JW can take you down. Cover JW and JT and K-11 or CW will make up the difference. The problem is that when the wealth is shared amongst several, the numbers for individual players don't stand out like they do on other teams. Doesn't mean that the players are not just as good or better, just that the numbers don't stand out.

I think the Lady Zags are happier with the conference championship than they would be with individual accolades.

The above being said, I would make a couple of changes in to the WCC Selections.

CLF went 17-1 last year and 16-1 this year but she returned almost 80% of her offensive production. Coach Judkins did not win any more games this year than last year, he just lost 2 fewer games because he played 2 fewer games and he returned a similar number of players and production as CLF. Nothing to really stand on for Judkins. I think the coach of the year should have been Molly Goodenbour of USF Dons. Last year USF was 5-13 and this year the Dons went 10-7. Big turn around this year, certainly worthy of the Coach of the Year award. Too bad she was not recognized for her accomplishment. We see you Coach Goodenbour, you did good.

Secondly, I think that LeeAnn certainly deserved to be on the 2nd team All-WCC instead of honorable mention. While there is nobody I could honestly replace on the 1st team All-WCC with LW, I don't think there is a single player on the 2nd team, All-WCC list (other than maybe Myah Pace) that deserves to be on the 2nd team more than LW. With LW on the court teams could not double down on JW or JT. Just having LW on the court made JW, JT and the rest of the team better. IMO, LW was shortchanged by not being placed on the 2nd team All-WCC.

Otherwise, not too bad WCC.

ZagDad

Melody will be a starter next year. Both Truong's should of been starters next year also. Ejim and Hollinsworth have earned big minutes and a possible starter role next year. Of course the two incoming freshman below should be battling for minutes also.

Freshman Esther Little who just looks like a basketball player that can hold her own, and the 19.5 rebounds and 6.8 assists wow can't wait to see her on the court. Then Freshman Bree Salenbien most highly rated Zag WBB recruit looks skinny, anxious to see how her skills translate to the Zags in the Kennel.

Just my opinion but how would you feel if you came in as a Freshman at the Zags, and waited for your time and earned it, then had that chance taken away because another player decided to play full 5 years of basketball. So that Freshman loses a year of being a starter as a Junior, that don't seem fair. The Zag way, unselfishness is much more ingrained into 4 year Zag players, they don't want to hold the classman below them back. Thus all our 4 year players I believe Jenn, Leeanne, Jill, Louise, Gillian had their chance and quite sure will choose to move on. Whether that be overseas basketball, career paths etc. Having chosen to be honored for Senior day already seems to make that statement to me.

Congrats to Jenn on being named co-Player of the Year. Congrats to Melody 6th Women of the Year. Congrats to Jill, Leeanne, Kayleigh.

Gonzaga WBB quite the honor from other coaches in the league to have a Zag player named as POY 2 years in a row despite not having the flashy stats as others in the league.

Now lets do a better job of showing who we are in the WCC tournament this year.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-02-2021 at 02:04 PM.

I can agree with Zagdad's assessment. For Zags Attack Basket, "...quite the honor from other coaches in the league to have a Zag player named as POY 2 years in a row despite not having the flashystats as others in the league. "

Valerie Higgins had the above numbers while being doubled or triple teamed. Nothing 'flashy' about the work it took to achieve her marks. I believe Jenn Wirth was the POY. The kid from BYU, was the "COMEBACK" player of the year. That was quite a devastating injury to over come. IMO the POY is usually the MVP of the Winning Team--Gonzaga in this case. Now, sometimes circumstances dictate other choices...

Moving forward: NOW THE NCAA TOURNAMENT BEGINS! IMO CLF should have a 8 or 9 person rotation and start using this strategy ... tweaking the sub's she needs. Zagdad might have a notion of whom ... ZAG'S SEASON starts now. Best of Outcomes for you.

Coach of the Year Judd Judkins was deserving this year. Again selected by peers on vote.

The first game against BYU we barely squeezed out a victory. The second game against us he came out victorious. Harding gave us fits both games if memory serves me correctly. CLF was out coached in both these games.
    In the 2nd game some Zag players also laid an egg. BYU starters had four players in double figures Gonzales, Harding, Gustin, Hamson. The Zags had one starter in double figures and one Sub. BYU starters definitely outplayed our starters the 2nd game.

Based on how you substitute and the opposing teams substitutes it is often a chest match. CLF failed miserably at that especially noticeable 2nd game.

CLF knew Harding gave us problems 1st game and were their adjustments 2nd game? Not that I saw Harding was a key for them again. You have to take advantage when Hamson is not on the court, by her substitutions particular in the 2nd game CLF failed to do this.

Yes overall the Zags have the most talented team when you include our bench. One thing that has always stuck in my craw about CLF is she sometimes seems to pull back the reins on players when they are flourishing in games, because she is not flexible in her substitution patterns. Heck if a player is hot in the first half let them erupt for 20 points, they might be flat in the 2nd half and you can always rest them at half time, regular timeouts, and TV timeouts etc. CLF just seems to have a hard time adjusting on the fly in big games.

In the first game CLF let BYU back in the game with her poorly time substitutions.

WCC Tournament and NCAA games are one and done. If you don't allow your Seniors to give their all they may never get a chance at that 2nd game in WCC Tournament, or the 2nd game in the NCAA tournament.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-03-2021 at 06:27 PM.

ZAB - What is your deal with CLF?

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Only two players on the first two teams? (15 player). Hmm.
    I agree Lee Wirth should have been in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    ZAB - What is your deal with CLF?
    I would like the answer to this question too. I have noticed ZAB, that you moan and groan when they lose, but never any credits win they win. KGT