Thread: Reminiscent of PC

Default Reminiscent of PC

This Zag team reminds me of a great Providence team with a great guard, Ernie D, a great center, Marvin Barnes, a great wing, Kevin Stacom, and a great coach, Dave Gavitt. Old timers, thoughts? Final Four 1973.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...more%20rows%20

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    This Zag team reminds me of a great Providence team with a great guard, Ernie D, a great center, Marvin Barnes, a great wing, Kevin Stacom, and a great coach, Dave Gavitt. Old timers, thoughts? Final Four 1973.

My one vivid memory of that great Providence team was marveling at DiGregorio initiating a fast break and shooting a great pass upcourt to a team mate streaking to the hoop for a easy 2. Not a every day occurrence "back in the day." Now, it seems like I see that same fast break 3-5 times a game with the Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    My one vivid memory of that great Providence team was marveling at DiGregorio initiating a fast break and shooting a great pass upcourt to a team mate streaking to the hoop for a easy 2. Not a every day occurrence "back in the day." Now, it seems like I see that same fast break 3-5 times a game with the Zags.
    Yup, hence the recollection. Gavitt was a genius.

Without looking it up...can you name 4 All American Guards from Providence ???

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Easy ....the great Jimmy Walker, Ernie No D, Len Boys HS Wilkens, Vinny Ernst, God Shammgod Wells and Kevin Stick-im.....add Kris Dunn

No.

I have never paid much attention to upper east coast teams.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Easy ....the great Jimmy Walker, Ernie No D, Len Boys HS Wilkens, Vinny Ernst, God Shammgod Wells and Kevin Stick-im.....add Kris Dunn
    Very good...I was thinking about Johnny Egan.... they were almost all in a row...smarty pants......try this....the center at UCLA that played between Jabbar and Walton.....and said at the time that he would be a trivia question....??

Very good...I was thinking about Johnny Egan.... they were almost all in a row...smarty pants......try this....the center at UCLA that played between Jabbar and Walton.....and said at the time that he would be a trivia question....??
    Wanna say Sven Nater. Dammmmm, I was wrong. Steve Patterson.

Stacom was an early CK.....

http://friarbasketball.com/2014/01/2...missing-piece/

Coach Hank Anderson took Gonzaga on a National Tour to show off Frank Burgess in 1958/59 that included games against Bradley and Providence....so now you know the rest of the story.....

Coach Hank Anderson took Gonzaga on a National Tour to show off Frank Burgess in 1958/59 that included games against Bradley and Providence....so now you know the rest of the story.....
    Loved the Bradley Braves too and the Loyola Ramblers......thanks for closing the circle.

Default Burgess national tour

Loved the Bradley Braves too and the Loyola Ramblers......thanks for closing the circle.
    The other two games on the tour besides Bradley and Providence where................Manhattan College and U. of Detroit.

Chet Walker for Bradley, Johnny Egan for Providence Spencer Haywood for Detroit and very aggressive guard for Manhattan (forgot his name, I'm old).

Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    The other two games on the tour besides Bradley and Providence where................Manhattan College and U. of Detroit.

Chet Walker for Bradley, Johnny Egan for Providence Spencer Haywood for Detroit and very aggressive guard for Manhattan (forgot his name, I'm old).
    Jack Powers maybe......or Doug Rutnik.....I am a Manhattan grad of a bit past that era. Doug's daughter is Sen Gillibrand of NY, fwiw. Jack is a good friend.

Jack Powers maybe......or Doug Rutnik.....I am a Manhattan grad of a bit past that era. Doug's daughter is Sen Gillibrand of NY, fwiw. Jack is a good friend.
    Hey. I wasn’t born till ‘73. I can barely remember the Magic/Bird final in’79, when I was in kindergarten. The only thing significant I can remember about Providence was some random final four in the 1987 time frame and a kid playing guard named Billy Donovan. I’m old now. 47. Have some grey on my temples that’s spreading fast.

But I’m not that old.

My great uncle—the best man I ever knew—was a Dominican priest aka “Friar” and Army Chaplain in Vietnam. He always hoped PC would get back to their former glory. He died this past year at age 98. He never got to see Providence back in that one last Final Four.

Never knew about the “Burgess tour.” Cool.

Wow!!! You know some pretty important people besides me that is...I like her, so she comes from some pretty good stock!!!

BTW I met Spencer Haywood in Kuwait during a USO Tour in 2006 along with Charles Barkley, he was still tall and built like a Brick-Out-House...if memory serves he was the "1st Hardship Player..." I had a ball signed by both and gave it to a neighbor's kid when I returned...Barkley is such a funny guy...

I also wonder why no one on TV ever speaks of Burgess as 2000+ points in "3" seasons is an incredible feat...wonder if he wasn't recognized because he was a Black man???

Marvin Barnes was “Bad News.” I was only in Jr. High School but I loved that team

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Marvin Barnes was “Bad News.” I was only in Jr. High School but I loved that team
    Ernie’s behind the back, full court passes were Pistol like.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sp...mate-point-god

Just to clarify,
    in the 1958/59 season the Holiday Eastern Tour only included Bradley and Providence with Gonzaga losing both. In 59/60 Gonzaga lost to Manhattan (not clear where) and Bradley at home. In the 60/61 season Gonzaga beat Iona (probably at home) and then went on another Holiday Eastern Tour and played Detroit Mercy, Providence, St Johns, and Xavier losing all of them. I remember feeling like GU was playing big time opponents as I listened to the games on my crystal radio up in my bedroom on Sinto Ave.
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-schedule.html
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Just to clarify,
    in the 1958/59 season the Holiday Eastern Tour only included Bradley and Providence with Gonzaga losing both. In 59/60 Gonzaga lost to Manhattan (not clear where) and Bradley at home. In the 60/61 season Gonzaga beat Iona (probably at home) and then went on another Holiday Eastern Tour and played Detroit Mercy, Providence, St Johns, and Xavier losing all of them. I remember feeling like GU was playing big time opponents as I listened to the games on my crystal radio up in my bedroom on Sinto Ave.
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-schedule.html
    Those RC schools were big time teams back then, just below KU, UK, NC. Probably played Manhattan in the Garden. Its gym then held 500 at most.

Those RC schools were big time teams back then, just below KU, UK, NC. Probably played Manhattan in the Garden. Its gym then held 500 at most.
    They played Iona in Pasadena Ca, Iona played Santa Clara the next day also in Pasadena, Iona lost both games.

I think the Manhattan game was out West because they played Portland the next day. It was probably some sort of showcase set up, Manhattan beat both of them.
    Last edited by Birddog; 03-03-2021 at 09:55 AM.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Ernie’s behind the back, full court passes were Pistol like.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sp...mate-point-god
    Fantastic stuff. I wanted to play like Kevin Stacom when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    They played Iona in Pasadena Ca, Iona played Santa Clara the next day also in Pasadena, Iona lost both games.

I think the Manhattan game was out West because they played Portland the next day. It was probably some sort of showcase set up, Manhattan beat both of them.
    Yes, I dimly recall the Jaspers winning something like a City of Roses tourney back then.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Fantastic stuff. I wanted to play like Kevin Stacom when I was a kid.

Didn't we all. Seemed a reasonable enough fantasy, especially compared to playing like Ernie D or Bad News.