Thread: Zags vs LMU Postgame

Default Zags vs LMU Postgame

Zags win 86 to 69. They finish the regular season perfect at 24 and 0. Kispert was a stud tonight and great way to finish his home career. He led the Zags with 24. I enjoyed watson shooting more as well.

Go zags and thanks to the seniors!

Watson is noticeably improving. Nembhard is consistently good. Kispert is rock solid dependable. Ayayi is quieter lately but still routinely makes clutch plays that change the game's momentum. Timme has earned an off night (relative to his recent high standards). Of course an off night for Timme is still better than a career night for many other players.

Suggs has chaotic swings between jaw dropping good and head scratching bad. Fortunately, we see the good much more often than the bad. About what you might expect from a one and done freshman. I sure would have liked to have experienced watching the senior version of him. Imagine Suggs with four years in program development.

Love this team. Special
    I miss Mike Hart

LMU Coach is an AZZ!, Yelling while Timme at the foul line, getting cautioned by the ref and told to stop then says he was only coaching up his players. Total BS. Poor sportsmanship! Low class to No class. IMO, This is a guy who will bend the rules to win.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Loved that game! Nice to see Zags responding well to the physical play of LMU, dealing with a little adversity early on. The Aussie kid with the BYU haircut and the World B Free jumper is just plain tough, fortunately for the Zags he doesn't get 7 or 8 fouls.

Biggest takeaway from this game for me is Anton Watson having his best game of the season imo even if he may have had better stats in other games. He looked comfortable and fluid making some low post scoring moves and was his usual disruptive self defensively and scoring on cuts to the basket. AW playing his best ball of the year heading into postseason play is a very good sign. He needs to rebound a lot better (1 rbd in 22 minutes) but having a 4 who will impact the game on both ends is huge for these Zags.

24-0 regular season baby!!! Kispert has a big night on senior night: 24 pts on 6-10 shooting from three while having to guard another all conference senior guard w size (Eli Scott, 6’6” 245lbs) most of the night. Kispert is mostly renowned for his scoring but man he is one tough dude, mentally and physically, to carry the scoring load while banging vs usually bigger players on D. Gonna miss CK.

My reservations about these Zags after SCU game remain; as Farnham noted, they gotta tighten up their D and intensity and can’t keep starting slow and falling behind early vs tourney teams or they may get bounced. BUT, I do believe the shift to postseason play will help this squad rise to the occasion in terms of focus and intensity.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I think Timme showed why he's not NBA ready yet in this game. The LMU big dominated him on the offensive end. If he got the ball near the basket it was an auto 2 points unless we were able to double and poke the ball away. I don't think most of the smaller NBA bigs these days can handle someone that size (a lot of them at least) but they make up for it by punishing a slow footed big by being able to hit jumpers, especially 3's. If Timme could hit 3's consistently they probably would have had to take that guy out of the game, because there is no chance he could guard Timme near the 3 point line, Timme would blow past him and score with ease if he guarded close or knocked down the 3 if he sagged off. Thankfully Timme has great footwork and post moves to make up for it some, but his lack of range is going to cost him getting drafted anywhere close to the first round. Hopefully that's something he can work on in the next two years (I think he has potential to be solid from 3).

Suggs had a very up and down game. Some turnovers that make you wonder how he's even in college at all, and some 3 point shots that were bricked so badly you might have thought Shaq hoisted them up. Don't understand how he either knocks down every 3 or completely misses rim multiple times in a row. He also had his, now patented, drive the lane completely out of control and get a charge play that he seems to do almost every game. He's a very frustrating player to watch sometimes. Why do a no look, behind the back pass that has a 1% chance of success when a simple bounce pass would suffice? That being said he finished the game very strongly and played some really great defense.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Loved that game! Nice to see Zags responding well to the physical play of LMU, dealing with a little adversity early on. The Aussie kid with the BYU haircut and the World B Free jumper is just plain tough, fortunately for the Zags he doesn't get 7 or 8 fouls.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

i am always thankful if we get through a game with loyola without an injury,
    unlike texas tech that hacks and slaps the opponent to pieces,
    loyola reminds me of the ice hockey approach to a game.
    ayayi did not turn the ball over, 3 assists, shot 85% efficiency, but above all was clutch
    in helping us pull away from a stubborn opponent.
    points scored in a whole game, including the more relaxed shots taken when comfortably ahead
    are very different, IMHO, from the shots made during the crucial grinding through a game that is close.
    ayayi steps up, even though i am not sure he is heads and shoulders above other players as the go to guy in the last
    minute of a game.

this is a question for some board members who coach basketball at any level:
    at this time of the season is it possible that Few holds back some offensive sets for
    more crucial games later in the Dance, so that powerful opponents will not be able
    to study the plays on tape?
    i get the feeling in the NFL that some offensive coordinators save certain plays for the
    semi finals or the super bowl
    probably an amateurish question, but i am a person who is an amateur on the the game.
    Never played the game except at intra-mural level between dormitories.

Zags close out their conference season with a very good, and very tough game against LMU by twenty. I was hoping for another tough game like the one on Thursday against Santa Clara and we got it. Really much more fun to watch them play against tougher teams who have some really good players, and someone 7'0 tall who can play. The Zags shot 59% for the game and 52% from the 3 point line. That's impressive against a tough team like LMU. Kispert was on fire, hitting 6 three's. It was beautiful to watch. I really love how the analysts lately are talking about how beautiful his shot is, and that he is the best 3 point shooter in the country. It was definately beautiful last night. Glad to see him finish his career at the Kennel with a game like the one he played last night with his family there.

I also want to give a shout out to Cook who is also a senior and say I love this kid, and I want to thank him for all he has done for the Zags this year. I believe this team would not be as good as they are and have done what they've done without him. He has had some really big games. He's a great player and I am sure he will play overseas at the next level if he wants to. He's such a great defender and a very very good driver to the basket. He can score when ever it's needed and he's done exactly that at times. We also honor you on Senior Night, and thank you for coming to Gonzaga.

I really don't have any criticism of Timme's game at all. He is who he is, and I thought he played another really good game last night. That guy has so many moves inside. He was playing against players last night who are most like as tough as any inside players in the country. He was double teamed all night and handled it like a pro. He is so tricky with the ball, and like I said, he has so many moves inside that a defender really doesn't know what he's going to do. He' really a 6' 10" guard playing inside. I thought he had a great game. He scored 16 on Corey Kispert night and that is just how it should have been. He's somewhat limited on D because of his size against 7 footers. It's not really a slam against him. He stayed out of foul trouble last night, and I thought that that was good. Give the guy he's guarding some points but stay in the game. He's too valuable on offense to have to sit out with fouls.

I too have to say something about Ayayi. Wow! 6-7 shooting, 1-1 from behind the arc and 13 points. Is there a better 4th man in the country? NO. Emphatically NO. Has there ever been a player who is the 4th best scorer on a team make All Conference? I doubt it. And he is so composed. Always. He's unflappable. Always calm, collected and cool. He plays the game like a wide receiver in football. He knows how to get open all the time. And he plays with a group of players who really know how to pass, and who are often looking for him to get wide open. He will definitely play at the next level, and I believe he will play in the NBA. If any organization is smart they will draft him because he's someone every team needs. And to top it all off he's as unselfish as any Zag has ever been. He and Cook. Ayayi could easily avarage 18 ppg if he wanted to.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Love to see the transition game in high gear again last night, the guys can change the momentum of the game in the blink of an eye. Last nights game went from a grinder to a laugher in a 5 minute span, due to the beauty of the ZAG transition game.

Only potential worry for me going forward is Suggs lack of consistency from behind the arc. He has 0 made 3's in the last three games. He doesn't need to make 5 or 6 a game like Corey, just keep the defense honest and be able to knock down the wide open 3. That will keep things loose for Corey and Drew, plus open up the middle for Jalen to drive and dish/score.

Ticky Tack worries, the guys are rolling and chomping at the bit to get to the Dance.

Go ZAGS

I was waiting to see if Few would have put Ballo in to defend the LMU big man but he just sort of disappeared for a big stretch and did the Zags a favor. Maybe his stamina isn't there, but LMU should probably get that guy a touch in the post every possession-- especially considering that their guards aren't very dynamic.

The Zags benefited from more missed calls in this game than I remember, but the refs missed enough on the other end to make up for it. After seeing the flagrant on Suggs in the previous game, I wasn't shocked by the one in this game, as the guy did hit him in the head and didn't get near to the ball; common thread with both calls is that both players sold the calls by showing how hurt they were afterwards. There was a call later where Kispert, I think, got pushed from behind while shooting and this was a common foul, but looked to me like the player was making even less of a play on the ball. The refs at least got a charge-block call right this game.

Dom Harris is looking more comfortable out there, which is great. There are so many in front of him that I doubt he gets much play in the tournament aside from garbage time, but I think he could contribute with the starters. He glides around there like Ayayi but is a more explosive athlete. He oozes with potential and I hope the game slows down for him just a bit more.

Kispert found his shot and even hit one or two moving laterally without having his feet set. If he starts doing that with consistency he will be impossible to guard out there.

Ayayi continues to be favorite guy overall. He makes so may subtle plays and is seemingly always in the right spot, and has such good timing on his cuts. Some guys need the ball a lot to keep their heads in the game but he is always ready to make a play. He would be a great guy to pair up with a Westbrook, Harden, or other ball dominant guard in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I was waiting to see if Few would have put Ballo in to defend the LMU big man but he just sort of disappeared for a big stretch and did the Zags a favor. Maybe his stamina isn't there, but LMU should probably get that guy a touch in the post every possession-- especially considering that their guards aren't very dynamic.
    Markusson did get two early fouls that sent him to the bench for an extended period.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

The problem with Ballo on D is that teams just put him in a screen up top and he is not able to defend it yet.
    Ballo reminds me a lot of Sacre. He’s big, strong, not a great leaper, not sure about his hands yet. But Rob could really move his feet and defend guys in the pick and roll. Once Ballo learns this, I think his PT will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    The problem with Ballo on D is that teams just put him in a screen up top and he is not able to defend it yet.
    Ballo reminds me a lot of Sacre. He’s big, strong, not a great leaper, not sure about his hands yet. But Rob could really move his feet and defend guys in the pick and roll. Once Ballo learns this, I think his PT will improve.
    Still learning angles and footwork on a difficult to master defensive scheme
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    LMU Coach is an AZZ!, Yelling while Timme at the foul line, getting cautioned by the ref and told to stop then says he was only coaching up his players. Total BS. Poor sportsmanship! Low class to No class. IMO, This is a guy who will bend the rules to win.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
    Coach Johnson is far from an ass. If you dont know what youre talking about, best just be quiet. He will have the Lions competing with BYU near the top in a year or two. Book it. One of the brightest best young coaches in all of CBB and will be a major addition for the WCC.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
    Wasn't that impressed myself, blah.
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Wasn't that impressed myself, blah.
    Wait for it

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Coach Johnson is far from an ass. If you dont know what youre talking about, best just be quiet. He will have the Lions competing with BYU near the top in a year or two. Book it. One of the brightest best young coaches in all of CBB and will be a major addition for the WCC.
    There is a line between good coaching and what he did. If you can't see it that's okay, but he crossed it.

I have never seen a ref have to do that to a coach when an opposing player was at the line. Total BS and bush league tactic regardless of his ability to coach.

Agree about his being an asset to the WCC maybe wisdom will come with age and he understands it's not about winning at all cost, it's how you play and coach the game.

Just my Opinion!

Go!! Zags!!!

Wait for it
    Sorry zffl; wasn't responding directly to you. Was working my way down the thread & came across blah's post 1st.

Agree that Coach Johnson is a big upgrade @ LMU & will probably turn their program around. Just don't care for his style. Watched them @ Pacific a few weeks back, same thing.

For the record, not always enamored with the home coach either.
    But we don't play nobody.

There is a line between good coaching and what he did. If you can't see it that's okay, but he crossed it.

I have never seen a ref have to do that to a coach when an opposing player was at the line. Total BS and bush league tactic regardless of his ability to coach.

Agree about his being an asset to the WCC maybe wisdom will come with age and he understands it's not about winning at all cost, it's how you play and coach the game.

Just my Opinion!

Go!! Zags!!!
    I’m confused. So you can’t yell at your player when the opponent is at the line? Did you ever play ball? Let’s hope that one coach yelling doesn’t bother timme because god forbid we have fans in the tournament... can’t imagine what a thousand fans screaming will do.

I’m confused. So you can’t yell at your player when the opponent is at the line? Did you ever play ball? Let’s hope that one coach yelling doesn’t bother timme because god forbid we have fans in the tournament... can’t imagine what a thousand fans screaming will do.
    I agree, you are confused and don't see his ploy for what it was. Empty arena, he yelled at full volume right as Drew shot his first foul shot. Did you not see the ref tell him to quit then talk to him about it on the sidelines. I hope you are less confused now. It was purposeful and poor sportsmanship.

Go!! Zags!!!