Thread: Undefeated Regular Season

Default Undefeated Regular Season

I like how that sounds.

Now let’s win 8 more!

Proud to be a Zag! Chance to now make history and go undefeated through the whole tournament.

Would still love to see Coach Few schedule another non conference opponent!

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    That's not likely to happen with other conferences either in tournaments or busy playing Covid makeup games.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

To be continued...
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Nah, rest up, get healthy, lots of practice until a week from Monday. Likely opponent is Pepperdine. I was shocked to see how USF has fallen in the standings...IIRC, they beat the defending national champion just a couple of months ago.

This is pretty incredible. I was so bummed when the Zags missed the chance to do this before. This program just keeps getting better and better and keeps finding ways to break new ground. This squad should be proud of earning this accomplishment, but I think that this team could also say, as Isaac Newton humbly did, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

- i hear what you are saying, but in the past we've always had an 8-9 day break from last conference game and first wcc tournament game.
    - lets keep with what the team and coaching staff is use to.
    - lets coach up the team to come out on fire from the jump the next 8 games! if so i think everyone will be happy-happy.

Awesome and a special season.

Take a week off and get ready for WCC tourny.

So happy for this group
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Choose up teams on Monday and play a great game against yourself. Get ready for the tournament. Thanks ZAGS for a fantastic year that the players, the coaches, the training staff and the administration has given us. It took all of you to make this season. Go now and finish it off.

Going undefeated vs the OOC schedule Few and staff lined up for this squad during a season in midst of a global pandemic and all the accompanying stress, isolation, lack of crowds etc is just incredible. Well done Zags!!
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Nice little video.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1365895613456416770

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What a great accomplishment for the individual players, coaches, administration, university and even the community (I say community because of the amazing support they have shown making this all possible).
    Part of me does wish that Baylor was still there with us as it's easier to have a partner in the race to undefeated rather than go it alone. But if anyone had to knock them off, I'm glad it was a team we already beat like Kansas..
    CONGRATULATIONS ZAGS!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...n?platform=amp

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Lightning, that is interesting!

The 2017 team finished undefeated in the regular season undefeated. That loss to byu was forfeited, so the only game they lost was in the championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    The 2017 team finished undefeated in the regular season undefeated. That loss to byu was forfeited, so the only game they lost was in the championship game.
    They had a discussion of this in the Syracuse/Duke game recently, I think, on ESPN and they said that wins were vacated but not losses.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    WOW! This statistic from the article is the most amazing to me:

Only three teams (regardless of rank) over the past 60 seasons have won 21 games in a row by double digits, according to the Elias Sports Bureau: 2020-21 Gonzaga, 2018-19 Gonzaga, and 2016-17 Gonzaga. (The previous two iterations of Bulldogs teams failed to extend the streak to 22.)

Congratulations to everyone. It has been a season to be remembered for all time. Each and everyone of you has played a significant role in this wonderful season so far. Thank you.

If this team is compared to the 2017 team I don't mind because that too was a very special team and will also always be remembered. They were the first Zag team to make it to the NCAA Championship game. There were great players on that team, just as there are on this team. That team had an experienced and very very good point guard who was a great leader. This team has aa very experienced wing player who is a great wingman and a great leader.

I do not think there has been a Zag team who had as tough of a non conference schedule as this team had, and no Zag team was ever rated #1 in the Country ALL SEASON long. That is quite an accomplishment. I do not worry about what is ahead for us. The excitement of it all is what makes basektball such a great sport. We know that March Madness is the greatest sporting event in the country, and we have that to look forward to. The beauty of it all is that Few and his staff know exactly how to prepare for the next part of the season, and they will certainly do a great job doing that. This team will be ready. Some may worry because it may look like, to some, that the Zags have lost their motivation and have not been playing their best basketball lately. I don't worry about that at all. I have a feel for this team, and I know they will be ready, and in fact more than ready. This is the part of the season why Suggs, Nembhard, Cook, and even Harris and Strawther came to Gonzaga. You can't tell me that they won't be ready? And I believe that each of these guys will have really good tournaments. And finally, you KNOW that Ayayi, Kispert and Timme won't be ready. They were denied a chance to win it all last year, and I'm sure that's why Kispert came back. Yes! This team will be ready. And as you have all been seeing, Watson is playing his best ball right now. So we know he'll be ready too.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Closest Undefeated Team to Each US County (February 27, 2021)

History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Default An editor's contribution

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    You can't tell me that they won't be ready! I believe that each of these guys will have really good tournaments. And finally, you KNOW that Ayayi, Kispert and Timme will be ready. ... Go Zags!
    My work here is done.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    Closest Undefeated Team to Each US County (February 27, 2021)

But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    My work here is done.
    Thank you. As you can see I do much better with an editor. ha ha ha Thanks. If I had only had an editor all these years, maybe I'd be a lot more popular. haha

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Default Excited and ready....

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Congratulations to everyone. It has been a season to be remembered for all time. Each and everyone of you has played a significant role in this wonderful season so far. Thank you.

If this team is compared to the 2017 team I don't mind because that too was a very special team and will also always be remembered. They were the first Zag team to make it to the NCAA Championship game. There were great players on that team, just as there are on this team. That team had an experienced and very very good point guard who was a great leader. This team has aa very experienced wing player who is a great wingman and a great leader.

I do not think there has been a Zag team who had as tough of a non conference schedule as this team had, and no Zag team was ever rated #1 in the Country ALL SEASON long. That is quite an accomplishment. I do not worry about what is ahead for us. The excitement of it all is what makes basektball such a great sport. We know that March Madness is the greatest sporting event in the country, and we have that to look forward to. The beauty of it all is that Few and his staff know exactly how to prepare for the next part of the season, and they will certainly do a great job doing that. This team will be ready. Some may worry because it may look like, to some, that the Zags have lost their motivation and have not been playing their best basketball lately. I don't worry about that at all. I have a feel for this team, and I know they will be ready, and in fact more than ready. This is the part of the season why Suggs, Nembhard, Cook, and even Harris and Strawther came to Gonzaga. You can't tell me that they won't be ready? And I believe that each of these guys will have really good tournaments. And finally, you KNOW that Ayayi, Kispert and Timme won't be ready. They were denied a chance to win it all last year, and I'm sure that's why Kispert came back. Yes! This team will be ready. And as you have all been seeing, Watson is playing his best ball right now. So we know he'll be ready too.

Go Zags!
    I thought this was excellently written and summarized my feelings about this team. I thought last year's team had a very good chance to win it all, but they never got the chance due to the pandemic. I believe this year's team can win it all and I hope they do it not only for themselves, but for the great teams and players who preceded them and represented our beloved university with such class and distinction. I wish the team best of luck in the tournament and know all of Zagland is cheering them on!