Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few on Gregg

Default Few on Gregg

"He's making plays and he's got a good feel," Few says of Ben Gregg's performance in practice, which helped lead to him getting first half minutes tonight. "I certainly have developed confidence in him. Moving forward you'll probably see more of him."

I hope so. He looks pretty good out there. He’s got a bright future ahead of him!

He's a guy with the body and skillset to fill a few holes we have. And another five fouls to give when our starters get in trouble. Can't hurt to have another rim protector out there as well. SCU is TALL and he had solid minutes when our main bigs were either in foul trouble or getting beat at the rim on both ends. Happy to see Few has confidence in him, especially when technically, he's not even a freshman yet.

I feel like Ballo and Zakharov both might transfer. You're telling me with both Watson and Timme in serious foul trouble, Ballo still didn't get a real shot in favor of a kid who should be in high school?

Ballo has tremendous potential, I would love to see more of him but he doesn't really fit our offense.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaGrad View Post
    I feel like Ballo and Zakharov both might transfer. You're telling me with both Watson and Timme in serious foul trouble, Ballo still didn't get a real shot in favor of a kid who should be in high school?

Ballo has tremendous potential, I would love to see more of him but he doesn't really fit our offense.
    I think it’s probably too early to say about Ballo. He’s only 3 months older than Gregg and the transition to college ball likely much steeper for him.

Ben needs to grow up quickly. He has 1 more league game and two in the WCC tournament. Then things get a lot more difficult. He's a good kid and should be doing what he's told to do. I think he will.

Not worried about Ballo. He had some positive moments tonight.

Way too early for anyone to give up on Ballo! For the rest of this season though, I hope Few goes with Gregg when Timme & Watson are in foul trouble. Good teams will exploit Ballo on offense. Gregg is more agile and better at switching off defenders.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

Ben is a player right now. Confident, quick, rangy, willing to shoot. I’m totally comfortable with him in the rotation. Pity he wasn’t played more all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Not worried about Ballo. He had some positive moments tonight.
    +1
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Ben is a player right now. Confident, quick, rangy, willing to shoot. I’m totally comfortable with him in the rotation. Pity he wasn’t played more all year.
    The kid literally came straight out of high school after the season started. He and Ballo will be able to give us some spot minutes in the tournament, and that’s probably all we will need from either one.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Ben fits the style of play better then Ballo at the moment. He is much more agile and already seems to move more instinctively within the offence. Ballo still looks like he is thinking way too much about where he is supposed to be.

I'm not worried about Ballo, at least not yet. We will know more next year as it will technically be his freshman year. He is only 18 so there is a ton of time to see what he develops into. Its crazy to think that he will be in his third year and still be considered a freshman. The free year this year could be the best thing that could have happened to him for his development.

With the depth (confirmed and probably) coming in next year, that will be the most telling on who plays, who stays, and who looks elsewhere

Gregg looked fine. I guess verse bigger teams he is preferable to Julian. Still would like to see Julian and Dom get more minutes. When they have a nice game and then follow it up with a DNP, it is hard to get a rhythm for those kids. I think both can contribute come tourney time. Cook was good at spurts but also turned it over way too much. Why not see what Dom can do as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Razorzag99 View Post
    Way too early for anyone to give up on Ballo! For the rest of this season though, I hope Few goes with Gregg when Timme & Watson are in foul trouble. Good teams will exploit Ballo on offense. Gregg is more agile and better at switching off defenders.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk
    +1. Coach Michaelson mentioned on post-game radio last night that Ballo has been battling double thumb injuries. That would be frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Gregg looked fine. I guess verse bigger teams he is preferable to Julian. Still would like to see Julian and Dom get more minutes. When they have a nice game and then follow it up with a DNP, it is hard to get a rhythm for those kids. I think both can contribute come tourney time. Cook was good at spurts but also turned it over way too much. Why not see what Dom can do as well?
    I kind of agree but this team has national championship aspirations this year. With how awesome our guards and depth are at the position, it's unlikely we see anyone other than Kispert, Suggs, Nembhard, Cook and Ayayi in the game. Honestly in a tight tournament matchup, I wouldn' be surprised if we only play 6 guys in a game with maybe Cook getting like 5 minutes. I think Few is just playing the odds that there is a much higher chance that Gregg is needed in a tourney game due to foul trouble than it is that Dom or Strawther will. I'm guessing both Dom and Strawther are learning tremendously in practices and their time will come next year. Can't wait to see what both can do in extended minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by ZaGrad View Post

Ballo is going nowhere. I don’t understand what was expected by some on him. As I said before the season, it was known he was very raw and would have a limited role. I was ridiculed for sharing this, but I was only sharing what I had been told. The expectation has always been that by his third year playing he should be very good..but he was a work in progress.

As for Gregg, I was impressed about his feel and movement. He’s going to be a real player for us in the coming years. He’s young and needs to get stronger, but he can help steal us minutes this year if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Story about Ben Gregg:

Back in early 2000's I played basketball with Matt Gregg who was then the Girl's Basketball coach at Freeman High School. We played on a team sponsored by The Swinging Doors.. We won the State B basketball City League tournament on three separate occasions during the years I played with them. The core group had been together for some time and Matt joined us for several seasons. Matt is 6'8" and quite solidly put together. He would bring his wife to the games and she was every bit 6'3". They had a little boy while Matt was playing with us, and I thought to myself, that baby is going to be a monster. Well Matt and his family moved away, assumedly to the Portland area. Ben is that boy.. It's no wonder Ben has been a Zag fan all his life. Welcome Ben, to the Zag Family.. I hope you have much success and accomplish all your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by SageOfZagville View Post
    Quick Story about Ben Gregg:

Back in early 2000's I played basketball with Matt Gregg who was then the Girl's Basketball coach at Freeman High School. We played on a team sponsored by The Swinging Doors.. We won the State B basketball City League tournament on three separate occasions during the years I played with them. The core group had been together for some time and Matt joined us for several seasons. Matt is 6'8" and quite solidly put together. He would bring his wife to the games and she was every bit 6'3". They had a little boy while Matt was playing with us, and I thought to myself, that baby is going to be a monster. Well Matt and his family moved away, assumedly to the Portland area. Ben is that boy.. It's no wonder Ben has been a Zag fan all his life. Welcome Ben, to the Zag Family.. I hope you have much success and accomplish all your goals.
    What a fabulous story and post, TYVM Sage.

Gregg looks like a star just waiting to happen. Strother and Harris are both super talented as well. The future is looking just as bright as the present to me. Throw in Holmgren and Sallis as well. I don't know much about Perry. Someone that has watched him play, let me know something about him. You can't really see much in those mix-tapes, because they make everyone look like a superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Gregg looks like a star just waiting to happen. Strother and Harris are both super talented as well. The future is looking just as bright as the present to me. Throw in Holmgren and Sallis as well. I don't know much about Perry. Someone that has watched him play, let me know something about him. You can't really see much in those mix-tapes, because they make everyone look like a superstar.
    Perry reminds most of Brandon Clarke because he is very bouncy and likes to dunk and block shots, but he's already a fair amount bigger than Brandon ever was. I would guess he has him by 2 inches and 20lbs easy.

Perry is thee one I'm waiting for. He'll make a big difference in play.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Perry reminds most of Brandon Clarke because he is very bouncy and likes to dunk and block shots, but he's already a fair amount bigger than Brandon ever was. I would guess he has him by 2 inches and 20lbs easy.
    Clarke is tightly wound steel. That springs.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Clarke is tightly wound steel. That springs.
    And faster than a speeding bullet!
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades