Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonzaga vs Santa Clar Post Game thoughts and analysis

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Just about any of the last 6 Zag squads would have been a top 3 team with Suggs as point guard.

If one is going to only have one dependable big, Timme is a pretty good one to have.

Every team we play will try to get Timme in foul trouble.

Teams are going to make us prove we can beat them with the 3 ball.
    I think you are right Dixie....for about the hour before the game the CBS talking heads from Schine to Parish were pretty much giving Gonzaga the NATTY ...lol

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I believe only once a#1 ranked team has won by double digits 20 games in a row. It was mentioned on espn talk radio this morning by Jay Williams. 21 will be a new mark in history.
    Kind of a silly record, but I hope they get it since they're this close. They tied the 71-72 UCLA Bruins team with the win last night, which is pretty good company. I've got a couple of buddies who are obnoxious UCLA fans and always dismissive of the Zags, so I'm sure they'll be able to explain why it doesn't matter if Gonzaga breaks it.

Obviously the goal, and the more important thing, is to win it all, but it's nice having some of these other records along the way.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

The problem, as I see it, is that the team isn't playing as loose on offense as they were at the start of the season. I believe the mindset is that we should be able to dissect these WCC opponents and get easy looks at will and, therefore, are willing to pass on some pretty great looks earlier in the shot clock. Let's face it, what you would consider a good look against Baylor probably differs from a good look against USD. Still I'd like to see the guys, especially Suggs, play with a little more freedom. Opponents are going to play you differently if they can sense that there's more of a reluctance to shoot the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
    Kind of a silly record, but I hope they get it since they're this close. They tied the 71-72 UCLA Bruins team with the win last night, which is pretty good company. I've got a couple of buddies who are obnoxious UCLA fans and always dismissive of the Zags, so I'm sure they'll be able to explain why it doesn't matter if Gonzaga breaks it.

Obviously the goal, and the more important thing, is to win it all, but it's nice having some of these other records along the way.
    About as silly as triple doubles.

I am not too concerned about that record. Most important is that team improves the next few weeks. I thought Timme had a bad first half with missed defensive assignments and some hickups on offense. He turned it around in the second half. I was happy with Watson, Ballo, and Gregg filling in at the five spot. Nembhard is a starter and that is why Watson is coming off the bench. It isn’t a resource issue. In fact, I think coming off the bench has helped Watson out. Really happy that they gutted this one out. I think 3 pt shooting was only 29% so hopefully they get that rate higher. Looking forward to Saturdays game

Foul prone Watson is the replacement for Timme since Ballo is a year or two behind. Thats why he's coming off the bench in my opinion. Strawthers plays the 4 and Watson is playing the 5. Now that Gregg is coming up to speed there's a little more depth at the 4-5.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

the bench made the difference

finally got to see the game. Down 15-7 early, then AW and AC entered and it all changed. Timme with his poorest half of basketball I have seen that 1st half, many blown defensive assignements, offensive misfires, and he picks up silly fouls sometimes, last night for example. He's an average defender at this point, and becasue of his perceived importance to the overall success of this year's Zags, teams will continue to target him

Fortunately, AW is his backup, and he was awesome in the first half...awesome. His defense alone makes him hella valuable, he got it done 1st half on that end, and Cook is a luxury off the bench and seems to thrive when needed most; remember his entrance against SMC when the Zags were down early?

And Few showed his hand again re. his bigs first half; with both Timme and AW with 2 fouls each, he stayed with AW again, the second time in a row with that decision. When the mystery whistles sent AW to the bench with 3 1st half fouls, the 2 headed monster of Ballo and Gregg showed up big, great to see, and it's not hard to predict they will be needed again with important minutes for 3-4 minutes of key time when inevitably both Timme and AW find pine for fouls

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    the bench made the difference

finally got to see the game. Down 15-7 early, then AW and AC entered and it all changed. Timme with his poorest half of basketball I have seen that 1st half, many blown defensive assignements, offensive misfires, and he picks up silly fouls sometimes, last night for example. He's an average defender at this point, and becasue of his perceived importance to the overall success of this year's Zags, teams will continue to target him

Fortunately, AW is his backup, and he was awesome in the first half...awesome. His defense alone makes him hella valuable, he got it done 1st half on that end, and Cook is a luxury off the bench and seems to thrive when needed most; remember his entrance against SMC when the Zags were down early?

And Few showed his hand again re. his bigs first half; with both Timme and AW with 2 fouls each, he stayed with AW again, the second time in a row with that decision. When the mystery whistles sent AW to the bench with 3 1st half fouls, the 2 headed monster of Ballo and Gregg showed up big, great to see, and it's not hard to predict they will be needed again with important minutes for 3-4 minutes of key time when inevitably both Timme and AW find pine for fouls
    Yep why I voted him MVP of
    Game
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few