• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TravelinZag
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by tyra View Post
    . “ . . .legitimate contender with Luca Garza for national player of the year.”
    After all the publicity, Garza is number 46 on S.I.’s list. Somebody is way wrong. No one is going to “zoom” that far up the list unless he has thus far escaped national attention. Understand college and pro games are different, but the 46th best college player wouldn’t have a great future as a pro.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
      Zag for Life
      • May 2008

Originally posted by OntZags View Post
      You realize most late first rounders - on average - don't even manage to stick around the league as role players, right? So if you think Ayayi can be a successful role player in the league, then him being a late first rounder is hardly crazy.
      It’s not about what I think, it’s about what the NBA teams think. The majority (basically all) of the connected guys projections have Ayayi nowhere near the first round. While I personally think Ayayi can carve out a role in the NBA, he doesn’t have the NBA athleticism or upside teams look for in a first rounder. Disagree all you want, I’m speaking strictly from what they are saying as they know far more than us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mr Vulture
        Zag for Life
        • May 2008

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
        Drew will zoom up the draft boards during March Madness, just like Sabonis and Zach Collins.
        No he won’t, as much as I love Drew.

Comment

• IowaSERE
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Oct 2008

Would Kevin McHale get drafted into today's NBA? Because if there was ever a McHale clone, imo its Timme. McHale averaged 15.2 points and 8.5 rebounds per game in college. Both players are 6-10, McHale was 210 pounds in college Drew is 235.

Corey reminds me of Thunder Dan Majerle.

Comment

• HillZag
            Kennel Club Material
            • Sep 2013

Agree. I believe he needs to develop a better stroke from 3 though in order to realize his full NBA potential. For that reason, I could see him sticking around another season.
            "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Comment

• Hogan
              Kennel Club Material
              • Mar 2007

McHale is a good comparison to Drew because of the low post skill, but I think McHale was quite a bit longer than Drew, he had arms that went down to his ankles!

Comment

• IowaSERE
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by IowaSERE View Post
                Would Kevin McHale get drafted into today's NBA? Because if there was ever a McHale clone, imo its Timme. McHale averaged 15.2 points and 8.5 rebounds per game in college. Both players are 6-10, McHale was 210 pounds in college Drew is 235.

Corey reminds me of Thunder Dan Majerle.
                DD with the same Thunder Dan comment on tonight's broadcast. Hmmmm.

Comment

• sittingon50
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hogan View Post
                  McHale was quite a bit longer than Drew, he had arms that went down to his ankles!
                  This.

Don't see the comparison at all.
                  But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Hogan View Post
                    McHale is a good comparison to Drew because of the low post skill, but I think McHale was quite a bit longer than Drew, he had arms that went down to his ankles!
                    McHale had a Drew Manchu in each armpit. His hairy, sweaty pits were legendary. Drew can’t compete with that.

“No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Kevin was the 1st NBA unicorn. No comparison w Drew at all.

Comment

• Pallet
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Sam Vecenie at the Athletic posted his top 100 today:
                        Suggs - 5
                        Kispert - 11
                        Ayayi - 49
                        Timme - 75
                        Petrusev - 88

Comment

• tummydoc
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2013

Interesting "what if" had Filip stayed. Few is loyal to seniors so would Filip have started with Drew at the 4, or off the bench as a 5? Drew is more skilled but would he have developed as much with competing minutes? As I recall Filip said one reason for leaving was to develop his game away from the basket, and he would have had that chance with Drew at the 5.

A bigger mystery is would we have stayed with our high-low game that's been our bread and butter for years now at the expense of our guard oriented offense which is more explosive. I'd love to have Filip as an additional big, but in the flow of our current style. I don't think that would have happened if he stayed, and not just because of his style/attitude but also because of our coaching tendencies.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                            Zag for Life
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by Pallet View Post
                            Sam Vecenie at the Athletic posted his top 100 today:
                            Suggs - 5
                            Kispert - 11
                            Ayayi - 49
                            Timme - 75
                            Petrusev - 88
                            This is very much along what most of the connected guys say, Vecenie being one. The surprise, a little anyway, is that Petrusev has dropped quite a bit on recent boards.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tummydoc View Post
                              Interesting "what if" had Filip stayed. Few is loyal to seniors so would Filip have started with Drew at the 4, or off the bench as a 5? Drew is more skilled but would he have developed as much with competing minutes? As I recall Filip said one reason for leaving was to develop his game away from the basket, and he would have had that chance with Drew at the 5.

A bigger mystery is would we have stayed with our high-low game that's been our bread and butter for years now at the expense of our guard oriented offense which is more explosive. I'd love to have Filip as an additional big, but in the flow of our current style. I don't think that would have happened if he stayed, and not just because of his style/attitude but also because of our coaching tendencies.
                              Doc. Petro and Suggs? The first time Jalen drives the scrum and doesn't lay it out to Filip? No thanks. The never mentioned, great quality of Tims and Kispert is the absence of any frowns when one of the uber guards tries to jam the paint.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                                Doc. Petro and Suggs? The first time Jalen drives the scrum and doesn't lay it out to Filip? No thanks. The never mentioned, great quality of Tims and Kispert is the absence of any frowns when one of the uber guards tries to jam the paint.
                                Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Filip sealing off the paint like Timme and Watson when a Zag was going to the hoop.

Filip was a great player for us, but he'd be like oil and water on this year's team. His talents don't fit this year's style of play.

Comment

Working...
                                X